1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. nico6

nico6 Member

Yes. Yes, they are :)

MR CHILLED and Audionut like this.
  2. Audionut

Audionut Member

Shadow detail, because it's not drowned out in murky blacks grey.

My 7 yr old says to me, "Dad, I wish everything was $1". Yeah, me too.

Some people really don't know when to give up an argument.
    beat_dead_horse2.jpg

Consistent OLED prices in today's society is excellent. I mean fuck, it could be a lettuce, or a second hand car, or a rental property, or a....

3. rg144

rg144 Member

My last response on this matter of OLED pricing atm and some other strange points, I really hope the penny drops:
    One of a million other consumer product examples:
    - CPU/GPU tech has matured & dramatically improved. Yields have improved. Fab processes have improved. People continue to buy more. Prices have NOT dropped.
    Inflation and wages are 2 different things. If you can point me to an article of how inflation and wages have had a direct impact specifically to the cost of OLED's I'd love to read it. Otherwise your stretching further here.

In actual fact- inflation (or specifically the lack of it since the GFC) has been great news for consumer electronics; which have generally been excellently priced over the last decade (relative to other decades). And again- only over the past ~18mo has it been dramatically on the rise.
    Yes they are worth it if that's important to the buyer (which for everyone who's buying it clearly is). So again, if you can't see the value in it that's fine, everyone has an opinion like everyone has an asshole.

But now your perspective of the wider Home Theatre costs are irrelevant, again you're stretching further out here.
    First it was OLED's are too expensive..
    Then it was LCD's should be gone..
    Now its 'save your money and buy Home Theatre equipment'..

We're talking about OLED TV's, period.
    The simple & entire basis is your argument is flawed dude.

First- I believe you mean deprecated not depreciated.
    Second- WTF is this nonsense. LCD/LED still serves a wider TV audience. Are you asking for cheaper OLED's and bye bye to LCD's? Because fuck me that would leave a lot of people angry not having budget choices; or even people (like myself) who have utility for these panels, or can enjoy a 75" premium panels, or a decent $1000 low end 65" LCD.

You can buy another OLED and smile in more amazement. Otherwise buy a cheap LCD and be happy.

Ppl come here for discourse/advice/thoughts or just a laff. Since you're obviously being genuine = 100% appreciated, but points have too many holes. When someone is dropping $2000+ on a TV they should be correctly informed if/when it is/isn't worth it, when we're discussing the tech alone.

If we're discussing other requirements (space, utilisation, "daytime viewing" etc), the value proposition is a whole another story.

Sorry- not going to entertain a spin leading down a rabbit hole of economics or other home goods, and not be vocal about it. And apologies for the silly essay!

EDIT since your post edit below. Geez dude, clearly we'll just agree to disagree on all points :rolleyes::
    It has nothing to do with generations since I'm sure we've both seen a few. It's about assessing the value of an item/technology, and it's place in the marketplace. No-one ever said the more you spend the better your game is, that's ridiculous. We're talking about comparing the premium, high end TV segment/panel tech. In which case a 55" OLED holds up well price wise against current/existing 55" LED LCD's (which are trying to compete with OLED, and necessary until microLED makes its way to market).

Maybe when microLED's hit the market, LCD's will be deprecated, OLED will depreciate, and all your dreams come true. Or maybe not. All if's, when's & but's. Not the case right now or for at least the next 24mo. And in the event all the stars line up & the above does happen sooner, happy to be corrected. Point is who bloody cares.

And from my recollection- OCAU started as a place for geeks to fuck with hardware, for many reasons (i.e tinkering, some of us just enjoyed blowing things up/testing extremes, learning about tech, or as perhaps the first thing you've said that I agree with- getting more for less).

/Out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  4. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

Inflation should track wage growth, if it doesn't it means people are getting into debt and spending more than they're earning. That's all I'm really interested in replying to in relation to your word salad.

That all depends on lighting and viewing area as well as priorities. As stated, that's $1000.00 that could go towards audio gear, depending on the situation regarding your viewing area and viewing conditions. I mean, if you wanna throw good money after bad, be my guest - I'm simply a more educated consumer, and I'm not afraid to vote with my wallet and tell modern capitalism to kiss my ass.

There's every chance we're headed for a recession, out of control spending is 100% the reason why. We're too eager to simply accept things cost more money, without actually reasoning as to why things cost more money - To make matters worse, we act like spending more money = More bragging rights.

5. rg144

rg144 Member

Stop dude, you're just posting bullshit now.

Inflation aims to track the the purchasing power of money with respect to goods/services. As I said inflation and wage growth are 2 entirely different things. So you're trying to correlate inflation to wage growth, fine. Whilst its generally positive, the rate is not fixed and there are many periods where one or the other is much higher/lower.

[​IMG]

Now tell me where on that fucking slope is OLED. Absurd.
    And pretty sure you know there's a Markets thread to discuss this nonsense..

MR CHILLED likes this.
  6. flu!d

Yeah...Not since ~2007 according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Purchasing power has everything to do with wage growth, unless you factor debt into the equation.

[​IMG]

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/e...inflation/wage-price-index-australia/mar-2022

7. rg144

rg144 Member

We can go back and forth forever since pricing markets from a millisecond --> much longer horizons is my day to day.

Get educated: Article written in 1984 which still stands the test of time today: Workers' purchasing power rises despite slowdown in wage and salaries [US Bureau of Labour Statistics]

In short- there is no long term, definitive relationship between changes in purchasing power and changes in wages (only short periods). Rather changes in purchasing power are reflected by changes in the price of products, not wages.

Now can we move back to OLED, ffs.

8. flu!d

Dude, I'm just basing my perspective on this quote, and it's holding water better than yours is:

OLED should have replaced LCD by now and should be cheaper considering the time the tech has been available while yields have improved. It's that simple. Funny how you've shifted from Aldi to BigW.

The modern concept of inflation is a joke. You don't spend more when you earn less, unless you had no idea people earned that much in 2007 due to age, or you embrace debt to have the latest toy.

9. rg144

rg144 Member

Agree the modern concept of inflation is questionable and modern economic theory has changed dramatically over last 15yrs. As stated- we can sit here aaall day, down an economic rabbit hole, calculate what a TV should be worth based on a billion economic indices or models and ra ra ra. All pointless.

At the end of the day, for $2000, in the high end premium market, these are prob the best 3 panels you can get (barring stupidly more expensive options):

- 55" LG C2 OLED (2022): ~$2800
    - 55" Samsung QN90B miniLED: ~$2500
    - 55" Sony X95K miniLED: ~$2700

So your argument that
    a) OLED is overpriced is misguided when its direct LED LCD competitors are not far off. For the 50th time OLED does not compete with your $1000-$1500 LCD's. And even if it did compete with a $1500 LCD, I'd pay the extra $500 for a 55" 2021 LG C1.
    b) Some miniLED LCD's have done well with their backlights at certain price points. Not all, and no reason to replace UNTIL a technology becomes affordable to replace it. OLED IS NOT THAT, not yet anyways and not anytime soon until something comes out that makes oled look sub par.
    c) I never stated Big W/he never stated Aldi, but who cares. Same same/mute point.

10. flu!d

Not interested. I've made my point that well in excess of $2000.00 is too much money for a 55" panel considering the time OLED has been on the market and it stands, you said you were /Out = Discussion over.

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

flu!d likes this.
  12. flu!d

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. rg144

rg144 Member

Those prices for last years models in the A1 are much higher than I'd care for, considering you can get the 65C1 for ~$2700 AUD. But yeh in general- pricing this year has not been favourable. Wait and see what comes of Amazon Prime Day next month (they usually only discount previous years models only though, so not sure about 2022)

In other news- looks like we [hopefully] may be getting 240Hz OLED sooner than we think. Must've missed this, but Samsung announced 240Hz in laptops last month, which Razer will also be using.

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Trizae and rg144 like this.
  15. rg144

rg144 Member

The real question is MUTMAN..

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

By a 77" OLED with a centre speaker that pounds the scales at 27kg and over 1 m wide ?
    Yes, a lot:)

17. rg144

rg144 Member

^^ We want more of that.

Nice to see 77" slowly becoming more available even though it means you still have to drop a hefty 5k. I couldn't stomach it last yr, was happy with 65CX already so decided to go 75" QN90A. No regrets. But wasn't too many years ago they were close to 10 large & stupidly pricey, kinda like the 83" atm.

And dare anyone speak of their 97" OLED, you'll just get punched in the face out of jealousy.

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. flu!d

It's got nothing to do with jealousy, the fact is OLED as a technology is overdue for a price drop and here in Australia we get robbed at the checkout.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

none of this is news ?? market forces, right ?
    no competition = seller can set a price they're very comfortable with
    also, you should add our consumer protection laws into the mix. it means comparing prices across internation borders may not be a fair apples to apples comparision. what seller isnt factoring that into the price and remaining viable

20. flu!d

I've pretty much made my point and I stand by it, I don't see any evidence of Australian consumer law effectively creating an 'Australia tax' on goods sold here. You're entitled to your opinion, I don't intend on dragging things off topic anymore than they already have been.

With a bit of luck, as Samsung winds back their LCD production, OLED pricing will drop to saner levels.