1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. diji

diji Member

Thanks for the info! She loves the deep blacks of the OLEDs so I wasn't sure if I was doing right to steer her away from those or not. Will have a look around at deals and reviews and figure out what to grab. I've heard a lot about the LGs, are the Sony OLEDs comparable?

2. rg144

rg144 Member

The Sony's use LG panels too, although it's industry accepted now that the Sony's have slightly better image processing when compared to LG's. If not comparing side-by-side you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Software wise the LG's use webOS, Sony uses Google TV. Neither here nor there, they're both ok. I'd save your money and opt for LG's, their long-term customer service is excellent too should the need arise.

Depending on size you're looking for:
    - You may be able to score an even better deal/lower price on the LG A or B series (especially if looking at last year's 2021 models) if she isn't gaming/you don't need 120Hz.

NOTE the A1 panels = 60Hz. The B1 panels have 2x 120Hz HDMI's.

BuzzPuppy, diji and MUTMAN like this.
  3. diji

diji Member

Cheers. Yeah nah 120Hz isn't a necessity since it's solely for movies and TV series, size-wise it'll be 55" or 65" at the most.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. rg144

rg144 Member

Fwiw- I'd normally never recommend an A series over C series (given the small price diff), but if you're looking to save every cent its an option.

Size: The old rule of thumb is whatever TV size you're thinking, go one size bigger. No-one ever hated themselves going bigger, but you hear plenty of stories of people wishing they did (usually not due to cost).

65" will fare better over the next 5 yrs/hopefully give her more enjoyment. You'll pay for it, but the A is still the cheapest option in that size for OLED.

Quick price reference:
    55" A1/C1: $1750 / $2000 AUD
    65" A1/C1: $2400 / ~$3000 AUD

There's been deals on the 65C1 at ~$2700 which again is a better buy, but also seen the A1 as low as $2200, so really comes down to how anal you are on picture quality. For movies/TV, not much difference: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-lg-a1-oled/21421/21674

C1 also has better processor and tad brighter (along with 120Hz).

diji likes this.
  5. Audionut

Audionut Member

On face value, but 24fps don't go into 60hz clean. Nor does 25fps go cleanly into 60hz.

C1 (100/120hz) will give her clean pulldowns on 24/25/30/50/60fps with black frame insertion. Some people are less susceptible to judder than others, but if she likes inky blacks, might has well give her smooth motion also (without soap opera)

diji, Trizae and MUTMAN like this.
  6. rg144

rg144 Member

^^ So now we're getting into the anal/nitty gritty picture quality, that was quick! ;)

To be more specific- A1 does 24p source & native apps judder free, so motion fine there.
    Its only 60p sources where you'll get judder.

diji and MUTMAN like this.
  7. Audionut

Audionut Member

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Trizae

Trizae Member

Did someone say Black Frame Insertion ;)

I've been waxing poetic about this for sometime

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/19132844/

There are more benefits than 'deep blacks' on an OLED in terms of motion and gaming as concered As a CX owner compared to C/G 1 & 2's that i've worked with or have friends with we could see the big difference I haven't checked in with the updates but I believe CX is still the best in that regard with the C1 to follow and has been regressing from there which is unfortunate, unless those who own the C2's can state if they've updated it since from firmware.

rg144, Audionut and diji like this.
  9. diji

diji Member

Ah, good things to think about. She's definitely noticed judder before I set the current TV and Kodi to do 24.

Trizae likes this.
  10. Audionut

Audionut Member

Ha, believe it or not, BFI made the C1 an easy decision for me. Boggles my mind they limited it to 60hz with the newer panels.

Trizae and rg144 like this.
  11. rg144

rg144 Member

No updates yet that I've seen, still 60Hz. Months later and with so much discussion about the lack of BFI, it's absolutely bizarre why LG have removed/not implemented. Unfortunate for retro gamers.

Since BFI usually done in hardware, I wonder whether something has changed in the updated C2 processor w/ frame timing..? Either that or some suit felt the (brightness) impact on HDR sources too hefty.. Irrespective BFI in SDR is awesome and bloody needed.

Trizae likes this.
  12. Trizae

Trizae Member

Ah that's unfortunate! Also with BFI it's not necessarily for Retro gaming (it's just an easy quick test to discern how good your tv is with it.)

I'll link you this video with Tom Cruise where he is giving a PSA about it 4 years ago about it and when they were working on what is to be Top Gun Maverick and all its success and accolades now and why it will matter going forward (hence why Top Gun Maverick) and why they made the push to be shown in a closed environment (cinema but IMAX preferably) so you can see what they worked so hard for.

Source: https://twitter.com/TomCruise/status/1070071781757616128

RE: Audionut when he's talking about things like the soap opera effect etc

So BFI is anything in motion and it does the opposite and what their talking about in terms of motion if you haven't seen it to that level of the CX at the time or the equivalent competitor sets now you won't notice but it's such an insane quality difference in motion from film game moves anything that's not just a static image.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    rg144 likes this.
  13. rg144

rg144 Member

^^ ya of course affects all sources buts its specifically only an issue @ 120Hz (where I notice it most is retro gaming @ 120hz ;)

If his mum wont be doing 120Hz, 60hz with BFI/TruMotion = On in the new C2's is absolutely fine. The judder on C2 really isnt that bad and still plenty of customisation to reduce motion blur/smoothing at 24/25/30/50/60p.

upload_2022-6-21_16-33-17.png

Vincent spoke about this months few months ago too:
    (at 4:22)

and

(at 4:45).

I had a LG B8 years ago that was 60Hz BFI and the De-Judder slider was a godsend, especially with interpolating low fps content --> 60Hz, especially with animated movies that would pan horizontally quickly.

On a side note- a tiny flipside with newer panels now is the brightness hit on C1/C2 is far less vs CX with BFI on (consequence of better panels), although like you I'd still prefer BFI @ 120Hz ;)

Trizae likes this.
  14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I always figured dejudder or deblur stuff on TV's or monitors was some shenanigans to have at 0 otherwise they'd impact something (maybe input lag etc).

Have I been incorrect this whole time, and should i check my B6 to see?

15. rg144

rg144 Member

Nah mate you're not wrong, always avoid image processing (sharpening/noise reduction etc) if not necessary as it either introduces lag or potential side-effects i.e artefacts in some areas. End of the day though your eyes different to others. If you're getting nasty judder, try it.

16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Going back a few pages about the cost of OLED I'm pretty happy with my 48" OLED monitor for $1,100, 4K, 120hz.

Not sure what you would compare to for an LED monitor, undecided yet if its too big for gaming but I've fired up an old classic (Farcry 1) so far I can see myself getting used to it, it'll last as long as it lives for my use.

17. Trizae

Trizae Member

rg144 I'll just link you this and for anyone else curious what I mean when I say CX/C1 comparable and should be compared why with things as BFI (NOT just specifically for 120hz content/retro) Any content in motion and Dolby Vision etc.

Dark1x (John Linneman From Digital Foundry): https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1496963414505443328?lang=en read through the comments as well.

@ 42:35 timestamp

Marc "Try4ce" Duddleson (My Life in Gaming)

@ 43:52 timestamp

RTTings history on PWM Dimming/BFI

TESTUFO BFI Tests: https://www.testufo.com/blackframes

Just to start things like De judder etc may sound 'similar' but their all different things.

Any of the panels or their competitors are fine but if you've seen or use it in real time or you go to see one in person I personally can tell difference as well as some.

18. rg144

rg144 Member

Yeh I've seen all them, all 100% valid. John's take is important but again specific to BFF @ 60hz w/ VRR. If you're not using VRR (as in the case of movies) BFI @ 60 is fine.

My Life in Gaming vid was an excellent rant actually :p But again- his example here is ALLM @ 120Hz (and he's discussing BFI settings/motion clarity at diff framerates), which not a game changer for movies w/ fixed frame times.

Maybe just my eyes, but I never had a problem compensating with De-Judder on the B8 @ 60hz with sports & animation movies, both which I found to suffer the most from lack of BFI. Sure its not as smooth as the CX/C1, but it was still a great experience.

As for difference between the 65" CX BFI and the 48" C1's, honestly I can't tell the difference.

Trizae likes this.
  19. Audionut

Audionut Member

Shines really well there too. If you stay around the recommend 100 nits of brightness, there' no penalty. The panel will do 100 nits full screen with BFI (well, with TPC and GSR disabled anyway.....pretty sure it's not a problem in any event). I personally make do without in HDR, because I prioritise eye bleeding brightness.

Indeed, he, did.

Anyway, it's not a hill I'm going to die on.
    edit: Ah, another page...
    Flickers like a motherfucker for me.

rg144 likes this.
  20. dexster

dexster Member

Apart from watching/streaming tv the only other permanent feature is the mister (yes I am an old and I will be playing old games on my new tv)

Hence (as already mentioned) the my life in gaming review really motivated me to get a c1.

Will also check out the df and rtings videos but the deal is done just waiting for delivery...