1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

To be fair I think it doesn’t “look” as good. Functionally it seems to be about the same but can even save SMB network share shortcuts in with your conventional input shortcuts which even the LG cant do I think. The Panasonic menu systems also seem to be less noob firendly but have more configuration options. The internal media player is good and plays 90% of my content but still falls over with the latest codecs (the only media player I have seen that handles 100% of content is AppleTV with Infuse).

I agree PQ is superior on the Panasonic to the LG, build quality is also much better.

I went from the 7000 series Samsung plasma to OLED and there is simply no comparison, OLED is superior in every area except maybe input lag? It’s a worthy successor to everything plasma wanted to achieve.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

The problem with pana os is the support. .. Doesn't have as many apps... Functionality amd speed is ok..

Plus if my st is anything to go by . It lost YouTube support for quite a while now

Judging from whirlpool .. Lg has more quality issues also.. But probably sells alot more.

3. connico

connico Member

If there is enough interest in a group buy for LG OLED i can assist in organising one....

4. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yup that might be it, I dont use apps on the TV as its all on the Apple TV anyway.

LG can make a good TV...problem is they are too obsessed with cutting costs / corners. Havnt looked inside my B6 OLED but I had to repair my grandfathers 55” LG LCD at 13 months old when all the chinese caps in the PSU took a dump. I would hope OLEDs are built to a better standard but somehow I doubt it.

5. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Because it's only 1080p?

I just can't justify the upgrade from my 40"1080p Sony from 2009 because the lack of 4k content but every time I see an OLED on sale I get tempted.

6. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I know this isnt a replacement for 4K content but the scaling on the Panasonic is excellent to the point that a high bitrate 1080p title looks 80-90% as good as 4K. Dont ask me how they do it but it just is...

As mine is the bedroom TV, I was worried about all the old 480p 80s movies I have and how they would hold up to the old 40” 1080p TV it replaced and they actually look better which was shocking.

Aside from that, there is plenty of 4K content if you just stop watching TV like I have lol.

You have not seen anything until you see Terminator 2 in 4K... absolutely stunning!

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Could be interested depending on price. After a 55" oled for the bedroom.

8. connico

connico Member

Reckon I could get direct from LG @ a good rate if we had more than 10.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's a good rate?

10. connico

connico Member

I can find out, do you have a model in mind?

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep....for me it would be the LG 55" (OLED55C8PTA).

12. connico

connico Member

Would between $2100-200 dependent on volume

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Its a good price for LG from what I have seen for sure but would anyone want one over a Panasonic for about $2000 delivered?

14. connico

connico Member

I've used the panasonic menu, I don't like it...

15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I would take better build quality, image quality and motion smoothing over a TV menu lol. The Panasonic sure isn't a pretty interface but everything is there except perhaps the app market like some people have said already.

It has many other smart functions also like automatically switching inputs when a device is turned on, creating SMB network shares and pin them on the input selection screen.

Panasonics HDR configuration options are the best from what I have seen. Every setting you can think of is there.

16. connico

connico Member

The OLED panel they use an LG panel... Build may be better but the panel is the same as an LG. I have lived with a shit menu with access to no apps and no updates... it was painful..

17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Become aware of the term 'JOLED' and expect the next wave........

Late Edit: my above comment was a bit ambiguous - here is more succinct detail;
    https://www.j-oled.com/eng/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yes we all know the panel is the same but you can still drastically improve its performance with better or more mature controllers. For example my LG B6 65" has dark banding on the far right when the brightness drops really low (10-20%) IRE. Apps I dont care about as I have always found TV inbuilt players to be garbage compared to dedicated media players. Image retention is almost non-existent also and it was bad on previous LG's

19. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

20. Zee

Zee Member

I'm pretty sure this has been ditched for the new models.

Z...