OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I don't have an OLED (yet) but I do have a plasma which is basically unwatchable without drawing the curtains on the facing window.

In any sane room layout, with windows not directly facing the TV, I imagine it's probably fine. But it so happens that the only sane layout for my living/dining area has the lounge floating midway down the room with a full-length window behind it.

2. nico6

nico6 Member

Yeah, our windows face west, but the tv faces north, so no reflection unless you get stuck on the east side couch

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

OLEDs are significantly brighter than plasmas ever were. I wouldnt choose to watch any TV with glare on it. Cant handle it on my monitors either.

4. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

The best part of OLED is that it does not have any backlight bleed.

5. Zee

Zee Member

What are you using for a signal generator?

Z...

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

At work we use SpectraCal CalMan, with the hardware signal generator supplied. That allows for a full 10 point calibration (most good quality OLEDs allow for that). That cost around $7K from memory for the full hardware kit and software to drive it.

At home I generally use DisplayCAL and ArgyllCMS connected to a laptop. That gives me 2 point calibration, which is good enough for me personally. It's free software, and can be used with a $200-300 colorimeter.

The AVSHD media provides patterns based on the CalMan patterns.

With colour, you get what you pay for. But for home, the $200-300 solution is ample for me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. Zee

Zee Member

The reason I'm asking, is I use Calman myself, but my signal generator is quite old now. It was a very high end model when I bought it (Quantum Data 780 - did my ISF cert back in 2010), and as far as I can tell, can be upgraded to latest standards, but that's a $3k+ investment... Just wondering if there are $1-$2k sig gen options worth considering. I simply don't see enough calibration work to justify much more investment. Too many people seem to like the "dynamic" modes...

I have to say, I have been tempted to sell it more than once.

Z...

8. elvis

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't bother if the work wasn't there to pay off the investment. We're still calibrating on film sets and in our studio to Rec709, despite Rec2020 being here (on set is different to DI, of course - that's a whole other ballgame). If you're doing in-home calibrations, that kit is still good enough I think.

I wish DisplayCAL would do a 10 point calibration. If it could, any consumer laptop becomes a viable signal generator. I might ask them on their forums and see what the response is.

I think most people just use TVs straight out of the box without realising how shit they look by default.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

LG 65" B8 can no be had for $2,633 with free delivery. Great price.

sTeeLzor and BuD like this.
  10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I also think people that insist on perfect reference images don't realise how shit RL can look :) I like a bit of Vibrancy in my screen especially when gaming.

11. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

It's an amazing price. I think I paid around that for a refurbished 55 B6 3 years ago. Stil l going strong BTW.

Tempted to upgrade to a 65 but it is a bedroom TV and people already look at me strangely for a 55. My wife definitely thinks I'm nuts

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I would love to change the bedroom tv from my current C8 55" but seriously.....just getting a bit ridiculous :lol:

sTeeLzor likes this.
  13. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

It is essentially at the point I only use my Home theatre for movie night like fortnightly and my bedroom is my main viewing platform.

That's almost enough reason to upgrade but I also like the new C9 upgrade to HDMI2.1 so I'll probably wait for that to drop in price.

14. neopheX

neopheX Member

Want to get a new OLED (E9 once released) for our bedoroom, from the bedhead to the wall is around 3.6m would a 65" be fine? Majority content will be 1080p (foxtel) and 4K via Netflix and discs. Would a 65" be too big for 1080p in this instance? But then if I go 55" 1080p content will look better, but 4K content may look not that noticable from that distance?

What do you think?

15. elvis

I calibrate for film/TV, to film/TV standards.
    SD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._601
    HD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709
    UHD/4K: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020
    8K: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2100
    Netflix: https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios..../215669787-Display-Calibration-Best-Practices

And for print/photo, much the same: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB

There are no real standards for video games (well, there are TV standards, but I've not seen a games studio follow them strictly). Total #YOLO market. With that said, calibrating to film standards makes new games like SpiderMan on PS4 with proper/working HDR look amazing. Jack up your "vibrancy" (whatever that means - there is no such actual setting, but I get what you're trying to convey), and everything looks like plastic, ruining the look of the game. For a title that excels at light/dark contrast and amazing environmental colours, setting your colour to blow out ranges makes it look terrible.

That's not a surprise, given that Sony were the ones who wrote the current film colour management system, and was the first to implement the most modern standards. It makes sense that their top tier creatives are following their own standards, and using their own tools.

So the gaming market is changing. Even looking back to old school gaming, I still prefer a bunch of retro games played at a 9300K white point, as that was the (unofficial) standard for Japanese broadcast in the day, and that was what most folks at Nintendo, Sega, Konami and other places were looking at when they wrote games of the 80s. Particularly for 8-bit titles, I much prefer that setting.

But today, if you're playing a real HDR game (not a bullshit-HDR game like RDR2, where they screwed the pooch on colour) on supported hardware via an OLED, calibrating to film standards with a D65 white point will give you an utterly amazing visual experience. As the games industry grows up, that standard will be shared with film.

Even more and more phone manufacturers are shipping phones closer to the D65 white point of film than ever before. This is a good thing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Bold Eagle likes this.
  16. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I'm the same but with 55 ... 65 would be better

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah.

JSmith

18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

dont watch tv in bedroom its bad for marriage.

on a related note, anything wrong with the $999 Kogan OLED besides it switches off after 3 hours?

shit hot price.

19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yes, PQ is terrible... don't do it.

JSmith

20. nico6

nico6 Member

Depends what you watch :)

good power saver for a bedroom when you fall asleep

sTeeLzor and JSmithDTV like this.