1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Good to hear!

2. Zee

Zee Member

They are used to "Dynamic" or "standard" mode on LCD/LED displays, most likely. Nothing like roasting your retinas at 100 yards!!!

Z...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Saw that DJ has the LG 77" OLED C* going for $10K. Shame that I am starting to think 77" might be too small for my theatre. I turned down the size of my projector from 130" to 85" and was quite disappointed haha.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Happens with every screen I ever buy....they seem to get smaller over time :p

5. connico

connico Member

Thats a really good price

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

That is a very good price. I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether 77" is enough for me to be happy because the increase in screen quality from a projector would be astounding.

7. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

77” is a bloody big screen haha moving a 65” is a pain in the ass as it is!

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, me. Extremely happy with my LG so happy to purchase along the same lines for the bedroom.

aokman likes this.
  9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

That's not really an issue anymore. Surely most people are using separate media boxes, so whether the TV itself has the apps and/or whether they're updated regularly is a bit of a moot point. As for menus, a universal remote means you don't really see them that often after you've set the TV up. Since Sony, Panasonic and LG share the same panels as know, I'd go with the one with the best image processing, especially as that's key to getting good motion on an OLED.

I will admit though that when I convinced my parents to get their 65" Sony A1, I was looking for a neat all-in-one solution for them without having to get them to invest in separate speakers and media box. The Sony does just that: with Android TV and a moderately powerful processor, you can install the latest versions of the key media apps via the Google play store: Kodi, Stan, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, iView, tenplay etc. They're all up-to-date and performing perfectly. I know I sound like a broken record, but for anybody who is dismissing the Sony OLEDs due to price, factor into the price the money you might otherwise need to spend on a separate media box and mid-range soundbar.

It scares me when I go to someone's house and see them staring at a TV that looks like a neon light on crack. Garish colours, completely oversaturated whites, no shadow detail, blue tint. Early on I made the mistake of trying to do an impromptu uninstrumented calibration for one friend, and after a lot of effort I got it looking reasonably accurate by eye - they instantly said it looked too dark and too yellow. Lesson learned. Now I just keep my mouth shut :)

10. nico6

nico6 Member

I've don't bother now either. But when I did and one friend said it looked too dark now etc, I found a similar show to the conditions outside and said look at the tv, look outside, look at the tv. Look the same? He said yeah, but this is tv, not real life! What can you do? :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If he's happy with the way it is and that's the way he wants it then really it shouldn't matter.

12. connico

connico Member

Is for me. I hate having an extra box do stuff that my TV should be able to do already lol

I even moved away from full surround sound with an amp cos it was to hard for my family lol. Now its sonos...

13. Zee

Zee Member

Been there, done that. No amount of telling them to look int he mirror and compare their own skin tones to those on the TV, or looking out the windows to compare trees and grass with the colours on the TV helps.

Even for paid calibrations, it is often a battle to convince them to try and adjust to it over a couple of weeks. Provided they do that, you're golden, it's when they give it a week in that i gets frustrating...

Z...

PersianImmortal likes this.
  14. Zee

Zee Member

You can still have surround with Sonos.

I find CEC is reliable enough these days that if someone wants a "proper" surround system, good receiver, speakers, and a Sony Android TV works well.

As mentioned by Persianimmortal, having all the streaming options, along with Kodi available, means it's pretty much just the TV remote, and that's it. For the truly hard care with BD collections, there is always the uncompressed rips on a NAS option of their collection.

For most jobs these days, though, it's a Sonos Beam and a Sony Android TV. Easy.

Z...

15. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'll admit though that while having a separate Apple TV box connected isn't as minimalist, I prefer an app like Infuse to Kodi, because Infuse "just works" and looks great with little to no adjustment, whereas Kodi is way more powerful but it took a bit more effort to get Kodi looking and working properly.

As for discs, well in my case that does require keeping a separate player attached because I'm not likely to find the time and storage to rip over 500 BDs. I've ripped my favourites in 1:1 quality to some drives attached to my router for easy streaming. For my parents, they already had a Panasonic BDT220 from several years ago hidden away in a cabinet beneath the TV for the rare occasion when they want to play a DVD or BD. But as disc sales are dropping rapidly and most people don't use them anymore, I suspect that it would be money wasted to buy a player. If you still have discs, investing in a cheap BD drive for your PC or laptop to facilitate rips might be better option than buying a separate player now.

As these TVs become more and more powerful, it's a definite plus to get one that has a robust built-in media capability. Separate media boxes/HTPCs aren't really necessary anymore. And even with a NAS, a decent home router can support multiple drives connected to it for substantial network-assisted storage with minimal footprint, so unless you truly need full redundancy, a dedicated NAS isn't really necessary anymore.

I suppose the takeaway from all of this is that it's better to invest more in the TV and one or two key additions, than to spread your investment over a half dozen cheaper, less capable, components.

16. nico6

nico6 Member

Yeah, I know. I just sit there, drink beer, and visit Specsavers more often for retina checkups :)

MR CHILLED and PersianImmortal like this.
  17. connico

connico Member

Exactly... everyone I talk that ask...

Android TV preferably a Sony OLED otherwise a LG OLED and a Soundbar. Preferably a sonos as it just works. Otherwise if you want Dolby atmos then there are a varied options around.

Zee likes this.
  18. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Just do small adjustments every time you visit when he's not looking.

nico6 likes this.
  19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Here's a good example of a bad combination of cheap 4K TV + no knowledge of calibration + no real idea what a calibrated picture should actually look like:

Zee likes this.
  20. Zee

Zee Member

I started long, long ago, and have built up my library one disc at a time. Been ages since I bought a disc though, and my high end stuff is currently in storage, as I have no room to use it, so even for me, it's a Playbar with Sonos Play 3 rears and a sub. On top of that, these days pretty much everything I watch is streamed, usually Netflix.

Once we finally get our place built, and I have a proper media/theatre room, I'll probably set it up for Atmos/DTSX, but for the bedroom, where we watch pretty much all our shows/movies, the Sonos set up works, and it's dead easy, stupidly reliable.

On a side note, my other reason for using Sony, is that they are easy to set up for IP control. I've done a few A1's now, and whether it's RTI or Savant, the driver/profile just works. 2 way, feedback, events based on the various possible states of the TV - love it. For the odd person that is still willing to throw $30k+ at a system...

Z...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    PersianImmortal likes this.