OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. peg

peg Member

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-4K-Blu-ray/183927/

For sure one of the best sci-fi action movies ever made, but T2 is not going to show of an 8K/4K TV...

To show off 8K you need:
    8K content:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i get why there are complaints about loss of film grain can upset some videophiles, but i aint one of them, and its a sci-fi movie, so the look isnt out of place in mind.
    at least its a fair tradeoff for the gain in sharpness and that lossless soundtrack anyway.
    the same cleanup effect on top gun left me flat, especially the opening scene, it was bland
    i much prefer the (massive levels of) grain in that movie. it gives it a real grittyness that is lost in that cleanup process

anyway, back to the overpriced oleds :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

But they're quite cheap today!

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A "remaster" and "digital preservation" are two very different things.

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I concur, I only mentioned it because MUTMAN brought it up as an exemplar, which....I just can't agree.

6. Phido

Phido Member

What the term for 480i NTSC analog to 4k? While digital sampling is worse, the the base is pretty bad 4K is still likely to at least preserve it as a medium before the old analog stuff (film and tape) is totally destroyed.

I love film grain, some totally required on movies to make them feel authentic. I don't want shiney plastic people.

Shows like stranger things are shot on digital (season 2 was shot in 8k and season 1 in 6k) and film scratches, colours , effects are applied in post.
    I was surprised that Stranger things did dark scenes so well, so atmospheric, so clear, game of thrones did it so badly.

7. elvis

I was talking about film above, where detail is infinite due to the analogue nature of the capture (with an upper bounds of what we can notice in digital samples, of course).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motion_picture_film_formats#Film_formats

Consumer analogue tape is an entirely different beast (and fucking terrible). However, most things on consumer analogue tape were mastered on film, so see previous discussion.

Netflix's 25mbit/s vs HBO's 5mbit/s aren't fair comparisons to judge original content by. You'd need to compare the masters to judge it properly, which is precisely what I'm anxious about in a world where everything is lossy-compressed to buggery to save a few bucks short term, while destroying content long term.

I bet you $1000 GoT's famous "dark battle" scene looked amazing while they were editing and grading it on their yuv444p10le content. What you saw at home was the equivalent of someone photocopying a high resolution piece of art on a $99 photocopier, then folding that up to send it in an envelope that was crushed by the postie.

Here's a tool for you to consider - lzip, or "lossy zip":
    https://blog.tedroche.com/2005/03/31/lzip-lossy-data-compression/

It compresses text by regular zip, but also throws away random characters and words assumed unimportant. The same theories as MP3, AAC, H264 and other codecs.

Would you read a book compressed by lzip, and then compare it to another book that you read in "raw" format?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Phido likes this.
  8. Phido

Phido Member

going back to our earlier chat about special effects shots. Some of those early CGI effects were of "interesting quality" The Amiga effects on Bab5, ST:NG, RD, etc.

Which is funny, because on a movie like Tron, it was mind blowingly sharp and detailed.

Of course not. But then again I have about 200+ blu-ray discs and frequently point out how crappy Netflix, HBO and even FTA tv is in quality because of compression. I physically feel dirty after watching even Netflix/Stan streamed content.

I hate even reading a book out of soft cover novel format. A book, any book, should be well bound, on quality paper, hard cover, with no cover wrapping. You need to read it in a comfortable, enjoyable environment, and a book should ideally be read in maybe 2-3 sessions, ideally with lots of natural light, refeshments served and with plenty of time to think afterwards.. Its all that meta components you need right. Its a whole experience.

But HBO should sort out its distribution.. If Tarantino can arrange cinemas to show Hateful Eight in real 70mm across the whole frigging globe, even when replayed (https://www.ritzcinema.com.au/Promotion/The-Hateful-Eight-70mm-Shows), HBO can bloody well force its streaming partners to up the rate, its freaking digital man.

Far out George Lucas was hammering studios and theaters about sound back in the 70's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

So its time the head creative people fight so their works aren't ruined by accountants. If your partners sell me a crappy experience I don't care whos fault it is, I've had a crappy experience.

Those who buy OLED's or/and 8k are paying thousands to get fractionally better images. Streaming is the death of quality in many cases, when it doesn't have to be.

dirkmirk likes this.
  9. peg

peg Member

Its still a bad transfer. :mad:

Alien is 40 years old but got a great release:
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-4K-Blu-ray/230308/

Proper releases of classics like this sell big screen TVs / home theater setups.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Two movies that stand out is the original Blade Runner and Independence Day, I watched these on my 65" OLED 4K UHD discs disgusting amounts of grain and I wonder the point was over Blu Ray if you have the picture constantly squirming, makes me the think the extra resolution is completely wasted except for HDR.

11. power

power Member

it's chicken and egg boys.

simple as that, one thing has to come out first - what's the point of doing super duper quality movies if no one can play them?

now that the tech is more mainstream we'll see the content come.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I tend to agree... I guess it's not that I love the grain so much, but removing it with harsh DNR just makes it look flat, lifeless and almost fake. Preserving the grain preserves the dimensionality to it also.

LoL... agree.

JSmith

13. elvis

Now that GoT has finished, HBO has bigger problems. Like, watching half its subscribers bail.

Preservation. Which studios give zero fucks about.

Ask me how I know.

Yup, that's what I alluded to above. I don't want 8K displays myself, but happy for them to exist if it means it'll drive up demand for 8K content, which I think is the sweet spot for preservation efforts.

14. power

power Member

problem with more dnr is it is primarily aimed at removing mpeg artefacts and ruins film grain as a side effect imo.

15. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Don't know why we talking about 8k .. we can hadly even get 1080p broadcasts... and only 4k on some of the new stuff...

16. power

power Member

because 8k displays exist and Microsoft are even promising 8k for Project Scarlett which is out next year - 2020 may actually be the year of 8k.

17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Blu-Ray didn't even kill off DVD. 4K has hardly taken off yet. 8K is just marketing teams pissing on our backs and telling us it's raining. Give consumers a chance to actually enjoy the content that we have just upgraded to before you fuck us over again.

18. power

power Member

you make it sound like someone is holding a gun to your head demanding you hand over your VCR gramps.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  19. elvis

This.

Random experiment. I click JB Hi Fi's website (a pretty good yardstick for consumer demand in this country) and there are:

* 11 HD TVs
    * 109 UHD / 4K TVs
    * 3 8K TVs

8K isn't some far future thing. It's in store at your local bogan shopping centre. The shittiest 4K TVs are coming in at under $400, which is insane. Even at the top end, the most expensive 4K telly is $7K, recently dropping by a thousands bucks, and well under that "$10K for new/premium display tech" price it was not so long ago.

Take a guess what that will look like one year from now, particularly with NHK (the largest broadcaster in Japan, and several orders of magnitude larger than Australia's entire FTA industry) promising the Japanese Olympics (July 24, 2020) to be broadcast in 8K.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

DVD is still very much alive.