OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

frnak, GoneFishin22 and flain like this.
  3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

This is cool, but really most of it could be achieved by shipping sensible defaults:
    • Overscan off on digital inputs
    • Motion interpolation off
    It's super depressing that those are NOT the defaults on any TV I can name.
    (Yes, colour accuracy matters too, but to some extent I buy the "customers actually like everything at 150% saturation" argument. Whereas I'm not sure I know anyone who actually likes motion interpolation)

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

have i just lost my right to do what the fuck i want with gear i own ?
    sounds like a 'feature upsell' to me

5. elvis

No. This just flips the defaults from "stupid" to "sensible".

If you want to turn on all the stupid settings again, you're free to destroy content however you please. Change the aspect ratio, zoom and crop, add all the interpolation you want. But destroying content won't be the default any more.

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

well not me, i insist my movie content is at 24fps and the plasma is set to 'cinema' mode, but the settings cant go the way of enforced win10 updates where i have little to no choice on what happens

7. elvis

No, it'll be a signal trigger from the media to the TV. Already happens for lots of things (HDR mode, sound mode, etc).

You can still go and do whatever you like. This will just set sensible defaults for people who don't understand what they're doing.

8. flain

flain Member

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Why? It is a really positive selling point and if they don't get on board they will lose sales (market share). Such a paradigm and adopted function is going to drive sales.

10. flain

flain Member

My comment is not about benefits to TV sales it’s more a comment on if you want a standard to become an actual standard you need the big companies who hold market share on board. Without Sony or Samsung it won’t go far.

11. frnak

frnak Member

I agree but it's not that simple. I've seen many TV's that did not allow overscan to be turned off. And motion interpolation is often not called that - it has some stupid manufacturer specific buzzword.
    The other feature that needs to stop is dynamic backlights on LCD's.

12. elvis

I have zero problems with anyone who wants to turn all that stuff on. I have zero problems with people who like over saturated colours, or motion interpolation, or smoothing, or anything else. Personal preference is just that: personal.

I have lots of problems with screens that ship non-standard defaults, however.

Let people do whatever they want with their displays. Give them all the options in the world to tweak to any level. But ship factory defaults that comply to industry standards. Lots of effort goes into defining those standards for good reason.

13. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Without dynamic backlights on LCD's their contrast ratio sucks.

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Honestly on modern VA panels that's not really true (viewing angles suck though).

Also, I think he was talking about dynamic backlighting that affect the whole screen as one unit, not FALD. FALD is...not awesome, but at least you can see what they're driving at.

Oh, I agree entirely. That's really my point - why are the defaults SO DUMB?

Especially overscan. Why would anyone ever want overscan on for an HDMI input? For what POSSIBLE purpose?

15. frnak

frnak Member

So the other day I was watching a large edge lit Samsung LCD TV with dynamic backlighting which appeared to only have 6-9 backlighting zones. The blooming was eye watering. The picture looked absolutely awful. The back-lit sections were flashing on and off in a very obvious fashion. And this was the default setting! No doubt to produce their fake 'dynamic' contrast ratio. Even many FALD backlights are crap, the only good one was the Sony Z9D.

in my opinion any dynamic backlighting with <100 zones is worthless.

16. elvis

In short, marketing and sales.

Same reason a lot of dumb things happen. How else do you separate a fool and their money before the competition does?

17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, I'm really not sure that explains overscan-by-default.

18. elvis

I've had real conversations with "black borders are a waste of my expensive TV" types. Shortly after I considered self-harm.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. elvis

Can we replace Chilled with an OzBargain scraping script?

sTeeLzor and MUTMAN like this.