OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. connico

connico Member

LG still use Canon machines to make the panels. The partnership has made significant improvements in the manufacturing processes. If the other vendors were so inclined they could purchase similar machines but they would still need the plant and tooling to make it happen. I don't think there is appetite to do this, so LG will continue to profit

18 months ago I used to pay $13k for that panel. The "glass" is the same but the tooling behind it is different. That panel enables installers to wrap panel around walls and column and it has technology behind it to prevent burn in... What you should see is $7K to $5.7k on the same panel..

What I'm trying to express is LG could sell its 55 C9 panel at the same price as a premium Samsung panel without breaking a sweat and still make a decent profit... but as a business why the fuck would they... :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If I had a crystal ball that could see into the future, I wouldn't be a working stiff. :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

yer, but your question was kinda meh. and i didnt want to humour you, sorry.
    but to answer it
    I'd say the current 25% premium is being held high. it needs to fall to under 15% now and keep falling.
    LG have invested a large amount in white oled, and it's fair they get their just rewards, but i'd guess they've recouped a large amount of that now. Samsung could also drop their pricing and remain profitable.
    it's almost collusion between the large dominating manufacturers in an industry, but thats something we've never seen in the tech game before. so i wont go that far :)
    i get it, the extra cost of large format is understandable, more materials more defects.
    the price isn't reflecting this accurately is my gut feeling.

I dont know the cost of 'extra' materials. some of extra is the large format and newer lines for the increased size require new production plants.
    IHS do a number of analysis on the cost of oled but the reports cost as much as an oled panel :)
    for a 5.7" smart phone the cost difference is 21% (15.36 for the LCD and 18.62 for the oled) but they aren't TV panels. the dot pitch is substantially finer, and different tech (amoled vs wrgboled). I'd expect the cost % to be rather different based on that
    also, it appears there are some extra costs of the licensing LG are paying for material IP from some mod called UDC

pure cost to manufacture should be our only concern though. I've seen it quoted that 1m2 of OLED cost USD95.
    Samsung have a quantum dot oled in the pipeline and think it'll be able to drop costs to USD26 for that 1m2
    it's also reported a number of Chinese factories are gearing up on the 3d printed version of oled which is said to cost a fraction of the current glass deposition technique used today.
    I'd bet real money that LG will suddenly be able to drop their panel prices in response to the next wave of panels and wont bat an eyelid as they do it
    i'll buy into oled soon, but not until china are 3d printing oled panels for cents and samsung drop a quantum dot oled into the mix and prices are 'fair'

so, now you might consider your wild statement "But close enough to confuse consumers"
    consumers are easily fooled (that oled and qled are the same quality), but they should still pay more for oled ?
    its either close enough to not matter, and hence the price difference is not worthy, or it's day and night difference and the price is (somewhat) justified.
    you cant have your cake and eat it too :D
    remember, you told me that earlier in this thread

wow, i'm guessing no photos you can share. but that would have been very cool to see first hand. I'd love to visit a big manufacturing plant like that one day.

Thanks for confirming what has been my gut feeling, manufacturing has improved, the R&D is paid off, the profits are rolling in.

edit -
    LG's new gen 8.5 factory is suffering start up problems. yields are 50-60% and they are not at volume production yet
    also, not tv panels but IHS's Q3 report have AMOLED is cheaper than LCD in the 5.7 HD mobile market ! my numbers above are from the Q1 report.
    maybe prices will swing sooner rather than later ?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  4. connico

connico Member

Yes the next generation glass yields are lower but should improve by mid next year. I've already ear marked some of the rolling OLEDs for projects and LG don't promise product unless they can deliver them. AMOLED... still waiting for increased sizes :p

Unfortunately I cannot share photos of the factory, can show photos outside though lol :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

6. hlokk

hlokk Member

The LG C9's were $500(55") and $700(65") off last week at JB Hi-Fi, then jumped up back to regular prices. 55" was $2295 and 65" was $3795. They're $2696 and $4495 now. I was going to wait for Black Friday but had the luck to pull the trigger last week instead (1 day after the sale ended, but they still honored it). Couldn't actually find man B8's locally, and when I did, it was only $200 more for the C9. The prices above that MR CHILLED posted seem like absolute bargains.

The picture quality on the OLED is phenomenal. Only two problems: The TV settings guides online suggest tuning to a gamma of 2.2 but my unit only says Low, Medium, High, etc, so perhaps changed for the Aus model or something? Anyone know what the conversion is?
    Two: Disney+ are a joke when it comes to HDR. I want to watch the Mandolorian in HDR not SDR in a HDR container. Obviously not the panels fault, the show still looked awesome (just not HDR the TV is capable of awesome).

7. power

power Member

oh my word

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Usually you need to dive into the advanced/pro/cinema options to get the more technical settings.

Default settings out of the box are made for numpties.

9. hlokk

hlokk Member

I’ve found the settings, it’s just that my TV has 4 “text options” instead of having 4 numerical values. It’s probably a firmware difference, but the problem is that the settings guides gives numbers instead so I’m not sure which corresponds to which

10. power

power Member

did you update the firmware?

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I sit back and watch them with a grin every day :cool: It was worth the reduction in size coming from a 70" led back to a 65" oled.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

They're labelled differently depending on which Picture Mode you're in. The "cinema" and "technicolor" modes definitely give actual gamma values.

13. hlokk

hlokk Member

Ah, that might explain it. I’ll have another look tonight

14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

My Hisense OLED actually received a firmware update! I never thought that would happen. I can't find a changelog though and can't see any noticeable changes.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's the good thing about LG and other top manufacturers, they are always releasing updates.

What year/model is your Hisense?

16. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

OLED 55PX, released late last year AFAIK.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

19. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Picked up a B9, very impressed so far. Only complaint is that the motion smoothing needs a little tweaking (will play with it more on the coming days). Very good value for money.

20. hlokk

hlokk Member

There’s quite a few options and you can individually change dejudder and the other one too :thumbup: