OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Maybe to do with the way they chop up the large OLED sheets into certain sizes...

JSmith

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I checked TGG's website and they had those 58-60 sizes but all in lesser brands.

3. Kosti

Kosti Member

exaclty just crap but would be happy if these brands like TCL and Hisense Would do a 60 oled, seriously what about people in small homes

speaking of homes, if u want to fund my renovation well yes I now have to build a house to suit stupid tv sizes like 77

Kogan has 60in 4K LCD TV some 8 series and 9 series TV yet the 8 is more expensive than the 9 and I don’t know what the difference is other than the price tag?

4. budzilla

budzilla Member

My mum purchased a LG B9 65'' for herself during the boxing day sales for $2800 @ jb. They are back up to 3500 now. It was a great buy, the sound quality isn't too bad either although it can't really compare to a dedicated speaker. I do like the app interface too. She can finally and properly retire the Sammy plasma to the spare bedroom to live out its days in peace.

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

They buy a 55"?

Anyway. Hisense literally can't. The panels do not exist.

Um...what? You stand it on a TV cabinet or hang it on the wall. So long as you don't do something really dumb like build the TV into a bunch of display cabinetry (what is this, the 90s?) it's not an issue at all.

Anyway, it's an arbitrary size in inches....what's more dumb about 1956mm compared to 1905mm?

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Who cares... don't bother buying Kogan.

Maybe it's so Ruslan can buy another fabergé egg. ;)

JSmith

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well not really. Is this a recess/niche (like those shower niches) we are talking about? In your new house don't have an alcove/recess : p

theSeekerr likes this.
  8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

No way you read that whole article in 2 minutes... and the response shows same tbh.

JSmith

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Interesting, but I'll believe that Samsung will sell a QD-OLED in 2021 when I see it.

QD-OLED is a cool hack, but I'm not sure that it solves a problem that actually matters for TVs. Burn-in is a non-issue for realistic use, and QD-OLED doesn't inherently offer the higher brightness of QD-LCD. If I were Samsung I'd go all-in on the 24-48" space - solving the burn-in problem would be a huge win for PC monitors. Focus on uLED to supplant OLED in the TV space.

12. power

power Member

people used to crap on about burn in when i bought a plasma, my 10 yo plasma has no burn in.

image retention is a thing but burn in is really rare.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I certainly hope they do.

JSmith

14. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

He wasnt wrong with his assertion though. None of those technologies will be in consumer hands this year or next.
    Burn In is really not a problem for regular use. I have zero in my 3500 hours on my B6 based on a recent test. And I "think" I dont have any decrease in colour or brightness.

I wouldn't choose to go back to a LED based screen again.

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Except for PC use, right?

I wonder if something like DisplayFusion could be hacked up to prevent burn in by doing something like pixel-shift the TVs do but on a larger scale. Put everything in a, say, 3640 * 1960 box and then shift that box around slowly in the 100px margins... I'd buy a 48" OLED for PC use if there was some OS/utility-level support for preventing burn-in going beyond "auto-hide the taskbar, use black wallpaper, use dark mode everywhere it's possible, and set a blank-screen screensaver to run aggressively". That should all help but I'm just not sure it's enough.

16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

17. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Maybe. I think I am going to go the 48" CX for my main screen now. For secondary purposes, LED is fine as its not quality I am looking for.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Neither would I currently. Super happy with the oled's I have right now. Just hope I get some mileage out of them before I want to go to new tech.

19. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Microled screens would nice though, as would QD-OLED. I'm not waiting for those to get perfected though, as OLED is out now and far superior to anything else available.

Anyone seen any bargains on the 65'' 2019 models yet?

20. Kosti

Kosti Member

No it’s where our current 50in TV is on a ugly tv cabinet. If the TV is larger than 60 it would over hand through the thoroughfare and hit you as you walk in and out of the room

it’s a old house I’m afraid and can’t do anything about where the unit resides

sux for me, screw u TV makers for not making a 60in OLED!