1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by vindicator, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rasice

rasice Member

Indeed. Pretty close to matching the 5d MkII at 3600. Insane stuff. With a fast prime and IBIS you are probably not going to need > 1600 99% of the time.

I've realized that buying this camera is going to render my d7000 useless. I've seen some comparisons which show that the differences in DoF control between m43 and APSC are quite minimal. On the other hand the difference between APSC and FF is considerable.

I'll probably have to get myself a D800 (Maybe a Leica M10 next)

2. rasice

rasice Member

I'm not going to buy the OM-D till May 10ths Leica event.

Leica is going to annouce a new mirrorless system, something that falls between in the x1 and M10. This much has pretty much been confirmed. I'm guessing with a crop sensor.

Question is whether they will announce it in May with the M10 or during Photokina.

3. Trysaeder

Trysaeder Member

I'll wait for more scientific samples and tests unless there's a free grip for preordering, but this is going on the shopping list.

4. rasice

rasice Member

Yeh free grip would be nice. Oly Aus seem like the only ones not offering any freebies. I only want the hand grip personally.

One of my big concerns with with OM-D/MFT is the lack of a good 35mm equiv. 17.5mm voigtlander is $1600 and more importantly I don't think I want manual focus at this focal range.

Want the 25mm summilux but might actually go with the 20mm panny due to the focal length.

5. Trysaeder

Trysaeder Member

20mm is close enough to 35mm. The aspect ratio makes it a bit weird. I'd go a little higher than 2x, for example 90 for 85, and 20 for 35.

6. rasice

rasice Member

Yeh leaning towards that now.

7. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Only in the diagonal, in wideness it's actually closer to 50. Thats because of the aspect ratio , if you crop back to 3:2 you'll see what i mean. A bit annoying if you're used to assessing wideness based on 3:2 like me (and like most people)

8. rasice

rasice Member

Where are you guys buying from?

Seems somewhat silly to buy body-only locally with the 30% markup. There shouldn't be duty on this since they don't count shipping.

The cheapest I've seen locally is digidirect. Dunno if this site is legit though

9. onrelas

onrelas Member

Where is this 30% markup?
    two40 posted a breakdown on costs in the previous page, unless there's been a recent price drop overseas??

10. spectre257

spectre257 Member

11. rasice

rasice Member

Well its $1300 locally vs $940 ish from US. Prices in AUD.

As I mentioned this is specifically for body-only. I have no interest in the kit lens. If I was, I'd buy locally.

A little surprised the kit lens option is so popular as well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. onrelas

onrelas Member

Does that "$940 ish" include shipping though? Or duty and tax possibly?
    On B&H the body is $999.99 + $43.06 (cheapest shipping option) in US dollars. Plus the possibility of tax and duty etc.

I've seen the body in Australia for less than $1200AUD in more than one place.

Still not sure where this whole 30% more to buy in Australia is coming from. I think it's just blind rhetoric. Actually, it looks as though it's almost cheaper to get in Australia :
    http://jrcamerawarehouse.com.au/dig...y_with_16.1megapixel_3/4_type_live_mos_sensor - $1,188.88 local pickup
    http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/...s/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Digital-Camera-Body-Black - $1,195.00 local pickup

Can someone confirm if Olympus has international warranty? That'd be very handy. I might purchase when I'm in Japan later this year.

13. spectre257

spectre257 Member

As far as I know not anymore Olympus AU won't touch your camera unless it's bought here.

14. OP
    OP
    vindicator

vindicator Member

Yes they do.

15. two40

two40 Member

I bought from digidirect. They're in Sydney cbd so I walked in to the store. At the time I ordered they were the only store with prices. Few more have popped up and I'm sure you can save a couple of bucks if you look around or wait to order closer to launch.

16. onrelas

onrelas Member

Sweet. Very good to know. The distributor/service centre office is in sydney too.

17. rah168

rah168 Member

Which lens is this?

Thanks!

18. rasice

rasice Member

I dont know whats difficult to understand. And your comparing different currencies.

The announced price by Olympus Australia is $1299 vs RRP $958 (my "940ish" figure was off but I currency converted in my head) in the US. Regardless, even with shipping that is still approximately 30% more.

In the US the olympus RRP appears to fixed across the board. They seem to offer it 100 less than RRP in Australia i.e $1199 which is STILL 20% more.

So either way you are paying 20-30% more here. You are going on like 30% is a completely random figure

There is no duty. It is less than 1k.

19. RnR

RnR Member

Olympus 12mm f2.0

20. rasice

rasice Member

Looks like the 12mm. Kind of bugs how the colors don't match though.

The chrome on the camera doesn't match the lens (which is a champagne/golden silver) the official hood for the 12mm doesn't match the lens either (or the body). Oly needs to get some consistency going with their designs.