1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by vindicator, Jan 16, 2012.

1. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

R&D costs: too high
    RRP: too high
    market share: 1%
    lens sales: 0

Business Case Rejected

Olympus CEO

XXX :D

2. onrelas

onrelas Member

Would be nice but it'll never happen unfortunately.
    As much as I've always wanted one of my OM's to be digital, it's hard to get super excited about anything with this sensor. Still very curious about how it'll look ans feel in real life though.

This is a photo of some more OM-D's and two new lenses apparently http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2980884/om-dlenses_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

3. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Not such a huge problem if they make dedicated lenses for this format, which they do.
    m4:3 used to be crap that way but now they have a ton of awesome lenses, they even have a 25/0.95 for the bokeh freaks. Check out the lineup:

Rokinon fisheye 7.5mm f3.5 $300
    zuiko 12mm f2 (with distance scales on the focusing ring ) $800
    Lumix 14mm f2.5 $300
    lumix 20mm f1.7 $340
    summilux 25mm f1.4 $540
    cv 25mm f0.95 $1,200
    macro-elmarit 45mm f2.8 $670
    zuiko 45mm f1.8 $400
    zuiko 75mm f1.8 price unknown yet

All tiny, all very good.

Dunno, I'm also a big fan of the OM viewfinder 35mm film and legacy lenses, but the new kit looks quite decent too.

4. jastormont

jastormont Member

Interesting Photo.

That in some ways tells a lot of the future and how this camera will allow users like myself of the 4/3's system to migrate to the m4/3. I have the top of the line Olympus flash and one concern was not being able to use it on this camera but looks like I will (even though the mount is crap).

I must say though that I feel this will be the first camera to be the first true competitor to the DSLR as we know it and closely followed by the NEX-7.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Long way to go still. I dont know if you have used an EVF much, but if you try to take a photo of someone against a bright background all you see is in the EVF is a silhouette (evfs have very low dynamic range). Nevermind the lag, low res and funky colours.

There's a reason they still use glass finders in high end DSLRs, a true professional EVF like the attachable ones they use on pro videocams costs $2.5k and is still not as clear and faithful as optical glass.

6. jastormont

jastormont Member

True.

But I feel it is getting better and better. I see a bright future for EVF and I once thought that it would never have a future. My NEX-5 has been great although not perfect it is damn good and 90% of the time does not cause any issues for me.

I just see that this camera and the NEX - 7 are starting to really close the gap between DSLR and this new bread of camera. I played with a NEX - 7 the other day and it is a damn good camera and although not quite there yet it is inching closer and closer.

7. jastormont

jastormont Member

8. csimpson

csimpson Member

12-50mm f3.5-6.3 kit lens? Vomit.

9. Trysaeder

Trysaeder Member

It's weather sealed, that has to count for something right? Right? *Pentax*

Why seal a shitty kit zoom when all the focus by wire primes have zero moving components? Surely it wouldn't take much to seal the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8. In fact I bet those two would be able to take rain quite well.

Weather sealed kit lenses I don't even

10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

11. shizmo

shizmo Member

Total OM noob here...

Really digging this design, stupid Pentax K01 designers need to take note!

Question - OM-D lens support? Is it a new system or can it support older lenses? The whole lens system is a bit confusing.

12. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Not a new system it is the Micro 4/3 system. Which, has a plethora of lens shared amongst Panasonic/Olympus camera's.

13. jastormont

jastormont Member

Just not as good as their Zuiko 4/3's lenses but you will be able to use these with a lens mount but how well this works we will have to wait and see.

14. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

really small...

[​IMG]

LOL I really have no use for this camera and still I want one :D

I'm thinking things like "but you never know when a fully-weathersealed kit might come handy"
    (I've never taken or wanted to take a single in the rain in my entire life) :D

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Hahahah so true, rain is a great excuse to be lazy!

16. jastormont

jastormont Member

If it is like the E-3/E-5 will take quite a bit of dust, water, sand and freezing cold weather. I actually think the E-3/E-5 is tough then what the Canon 1d's are meant to be!

Here is some more info and it looks like all the predictions were quite on the money: http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/olympus_launches_omd.php

And here is a movie showing off some of the dials and settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=_yutTntpDhE

And here it is getting a bath: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhO9YDI8cHk&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  17. onrelas

onrelas Member

Yeah I've been tying very hard to not like the OM-D but my weakspot for OM's in general can't be ignored. My brain is making up reasons why I need it.
    Haven't bought a digital camera in years...

18. crankinhaus

crankinhaus Member

Got hands on with one yesterday, gotta say it felt good even in my big hands, and not too dissimilar a feel to my old OM cameras.

It felt really good with the grip, though (it's in two parts, you can take the batt grip part off and just leave the hand grip if you want)

I liked the way the nice big dials on top were really easy to operate (once again my big hands on some of these small, recessed dials are a bit of a pain sometimes). And lots of customisation for the various function buttons.

Was a pre-production model, the EVF was really pretty good, same res as the NEX-7. Wasn't too laggy, except when panning in video mode, was pretty laggy - wonder if that will be better on production model. The rolling shutter is pretty well controlled though for video ...

The AF certainly seemed pretty snappy as well.

I REALLY liked the addition of the function button near the shutter to adjust curves ... that could be very handy.

A well thought out, nicely designed camera that might have to be added to my growing oly/M43 collection :)

19. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I like the camera, but i do hate the crop factor which is 2x. Makes it slightly less appealing on a personal level.

20. RnR

RnR Member

Because of legacy lenses you would want to use? Or other reason?