1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by vindicator, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Planning on picking up another lens to go away with this time. Debating between the Olympus 25mm 1.8 and the Panasonic 25mm 1.7.

Any thoughts on these two? Would be traveling light paired with a Panasonic 14mm,

2. Zee

Zee Member

Which body do you have?

I'd lean towards the Oly, a bit smaller, and it's sharper when stopped down. Both are about the same wide open, though the FOV, for whatever reason, is a tad different (Oly seems wider). Maybe to do with the Pana being a touch longer physically.

Z...

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Have the EM5. But thinking the Oly too. Especially as I can get TRS on it.

4. Zee

Zee Member

May as well go for the Oly in that case.

Z...

5. nakey

nakey Member

.. AARRGGG!!!

On the eve of going on a long weekend away, the 14-42EZ breaks. ITs just goes in and out and in and out (giggity) then says "please check the status of a lens"

T___T

6. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Like a pelvic thrust? :D

7. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Anybody taken the plunge with the Oly 300 yet ??

8. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Not unless they have a road-map to a full-frame sensor/IQ equivalent to boot; amazing lens, but too much of an investment for a technology at it's peak...

9. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

For those who have upgraded from the original EM5 to EM1 or EM5-mk2, is there any/much difference in image quality?

I keep thinking about upgrading.. the temptation will probably be too much when the EM1-mk2 finally appears

10. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

IQ in as far as sensor capability is concerned, no.

IQ in as far as better images resulting from better AF and probably IBIS is concerned, yes; definitely a higher keeper rate. Em1 is a beautiful camera; can't see much more IQ/gigapickles being squeezed out of the current sensor though...

11. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Was speaking with a mate the other week regarding these cameras. He recently invested a fair bit in Sony gear and is very happy with the results he is getting. He had a fair bit invested in Canon gear but basically flogged off his 5d and kept the lenses so no real loss. The sale of the used 5d helped with the purchase of the Sony body. I asked if he had considered other brands but he reckons no other company is properly developing mirrorless cameras and reckons Olympus specifically are the ideal travellers camera but could never be used for anything proper, while the Sony at least can be used professionally. Really got me thinking about mirrorless tech as I recently travelled to Africa and the UK and my camera bag was 12kg with only 1 body, a few lenses and accessories. For the people who own the Olympus bodies specifically, or who have switched from a DSLR, what do you find them lacking in?

12. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

"Proper" is a tad subjective.

I'm currently rocking an E-M1/E-PM2/primes kit and it's an awesome balance of IQ, ergonomics and cost; joy to use, really.

"Shortfalls":

• Not FF
    • Pixel-pitch/resolution/cropability
    • High ISO IQ
    But, for non-pro use bar stigma, plenty a-proper... :thumbup:

13. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Yep.....Im also a non proper user, Got rid of my Pentax gear to invest in the Olympus M4/3 system, I use an EM-1 and three pro series lenses, wieghs in at about 10KG with the lot packed in my backpack.........My photos are "proper" enough for me :)

14. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

No offence intended guys. His words, not mine. I'm just curious and exploring possible cheap alternatives for a decent travel kit rather than lugging around a 1dx. Also, he's from the UK and they seem to have a tendency to put the word 'proper' in front of a lot of things.

15. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

None taken :) , there's undoubtedly a difference in image quality between the Sony gear and the Oly M4/3 gear, but as far as your goal then yes the Olympus is a great option, its primarily why I shed my bulky Pentax equipment, i can carry all of this in a good backpack when I travel and the cost is pretty reasonable when compared to the sony gear

16. Zee

Zee Member

I switched from Canon to Olympus for, you guessed it, travel. I am on an airplane at least monthly, and even though the E-M1 is heavy in terms of m43, when I compare it to my old Canon kit, it's way lighter, and any losses are negligible.

I came from a 7D with EF100-400L, 100 F2.8L Macro, EF-s10-22, Sigma 50 F1.4 and Sigma 17-70.

I now have an E-M1 with 40-150 F2.8 Pro, 75 F1.8, 12-40 F2.8 Pro, 60mm F2.8 Macro, and the 17 F1.8, and 8mm 1.8 Pro.

300mm pro at some stage...

Lens for lens (in terms of equivalent field of view) I am about half the weight overall or less. And considering how anal some airlines can be re carry on, this matters.

What I do miss - A big fuck off white lens on a body that makes me look like I've been paid to shoot some big sporting event all day.

And if you're ever in Japan trying to pick up a girl, let me tell you, it's very effective a tool - even when the picking up you are doing is for a mate that you are sick of seeing sulking in a corner.

IQ wise, vs my old 7D, I think I am actually better off, better keeper rate, and sharper pics (the 7D was neutered with an overly aggressive AA filter as far as I am concerned, and the AF always seemed to not quite be right on it).

I don't know about never being use-able for pro purposes, I think that is perception more than reality. I know plenty of folk that use M43 for weddings with sensational results, though, certainly, it has it's weak points, and an FF camera will always have better high ISO performance, by the nature of the tech. For a pro travel photographer, I also think M43 is viable.

Anyways, pros and cons, I'll never go pro personally, and I'll be staying where I am.

I did do a review of my kit when I first got it and took it to the Thai new years festival a couple of years back, I'll try and dig it up.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  17. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

I'd be keen on reading that as well Zee :thumbup:

18. Zee

Zee Member

Found here - pardon my typos and grammatical errors, will fix them eventually.

Z...

19. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

So who is paying $2,800 for an E-M1.2? :confused: :Paranoid::p

lol

Good one Olympus. Didn't know April Fools came early

20. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Just read Robin Wong's review; a formidable piece of kit, no doubt; if it was FF it would be worth every centicle, however...

I'll hold out for one of those Olympus super-bundles that netted me a free E-M1 last year. ;)