OMG Unlimited Internet from Telstra

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Kelvin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hive

Hive Member

Recently tried signing up with them again as i moved into a new place (Ex customer back 2009-2015), i would love to go into it but i would rather stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes than re-live the experiance of telstras hopeless outsourced monkeys and how complex it actually is to place an internet service order, very difficult apparently.

If you can get an order through, without issue, and never need support, then good for you. The moment you need support or someone to use an iota of brains you are fucked.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    fredhoon likes this.
  2. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I grew up listening to my dad smack his head against the wall with Telstra. Was really common for the home, internet, mobile discount not to be applied on the bill. And for some reason, no matter how many times he called to get it changed the next bill would come and it wouldnt be applied.

Sometimes it'd be fine for a year, then out of the blue the discount was gone. I don't know when it stopped happening. But he started sending them invoices for his time because he was on the phone with them so often.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

if anyone who is with telstra DIDN'T get an upgrade (either double their data or unlimited), send me a PM with your username and i'll check it out for you

4. OP
    OP
    Kelvin

Kelvin Member

Apparently (dont hold me to it) if your base plan is $99 or more it does..
    else you may get twice the data.. however going from 500gb +400gb.. to 500gb +500gb isnt a big difference..

I was seriously thinking about trying to renegotiate to a cheaper plan.. with a higher quota..

.. this situation is now absolutely perfect.. other than the slow uploads..

... my contract expires April 2018.. though.. I have gaol card somewhere when they screw the billings..
    NBN-HFC is arriving in April 2018 in my area..

5. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

They currently have 1000GB of data for $80 - Connect Plus Plan.

And yes,

Any plans on $99+ get unlimited date, any plans on $98 less will get double/extra data depending on what plan you're currently on

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Should they all be done by now?

7. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Actually just thinking about this deal some more, it's pretty poor value.
    Tell all your
    Hopefully the majority thinks like this. As a selfish Telstra customer I'd hate to see the service go the way of Optus.
    Think I'll spread the word about how good ABB is. :)

8. clonex

clonex Member

Wasting your time since this is all over local fb postcode specific nbn pages, whirlpool, ozbargain etc :D

Signing up with telstra will soon be like buying a toyota today:D

Shrinking customer base? :D

9. millen

millen Member

Currently play $90p/m for the 500GB plan.
    Hopefully can switch over to the 1000GB for $80p/m plan.

Only use 200GB per month on average now... so certainly don't need unlimited... just want a lower price.

10. caspian

caspian Member

^^ this.

the last thing you want to be doing in swimming in the same pool as the leeches. anyone attempting to download the internet every month will impact the experience of multiple other users, none of whom are interested in having their experience downgraded when they bought a plan appropriate to their needs.

wait for the complaints of congestion, and the excuse will be "but you're getting unlimited data".

11. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Telstra.... lulz.... they just had to compensate 46K customers for substandard bandwdith, now they so this - laughable

12. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Just checked my Telstra HFC plan and looks like it is now unlimited. Can you change me back to a 500GB/mth plan with free speedboost as I really don't need any more data.

13. caspian

caspian Member

that's the irony. this is costing Telstra next to zero, but I bet they still won't buy enough CVC for services to work properly during peak hour - and this will actually make that issue *worse*.

14. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

It wasn't so much a bandwidth issue but one of attainable rates.

If a customer was sold a 100/40 plan but their sync speed was less than that, (so that they could never achieve the advertised 100/40), then they are entitled to compensation. Predominately an FTTN issue and will clearly affect more RSP's than just Telstra.

15. Rass

Rass Member

"freedom plan"

I remember.

16. caspian

caspian Member

from memory the freedom plan was a data allowance with speed shaping but no excess fees.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Unattainable promised speeds is due to oversubscription of local backhaul capacity infrastructure, not data caps.
    This data change was probably designed to appease high-end customers who pay $100+ for high needs who will forgive a 100 service running at 60 if they can suck all day.

This of course will have a negative impact on the entire network/customer base, especially where capacity is tight during peak.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  18. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Lucky you, nearly every other month I have issues with the idiots.

19. caspian

caspian Member

actually, in this case it was due to them not using the estimated line speed capabilities made available by NBN in order to provide guidance as to what speed tiers were appropriate to order. CVC underprovisioning was not a factor.

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I didn't think you could be refused a tier based on location if the technology was available?
    It would be up to the ISP to organise more CVC if things get tight.