OMG Unlimited Internet from Telstra

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Kelvin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. caspian

caspian Member

NBN will sell whatever the access seeker orders. the issue is that the access seeker in question (and others) were selling users 100Mbps plans without using the information NBN provides, which was that a given line might not be able to support that speed. such as selling a basic 25/5 package with "speed boost" to 100/40 without providing any idea what the line can actually do, so the user can understand their purchasing decision.

sometimes a user might want to override the advice given. for instance, if a line is estimated to support 65/35Mbps, normally a 50/20 tier would be the best-fit speed tier in terms of not buying something you can't utilise. but if the user really wants all the upload performance they can get, they can order a 100/40 plan. that's their choice and that's absolutely fine. the point is that they are able to make an informed choice, and they *know* the line won't do 100Mbps down, but it will give them 35Mbps up if they want it.

CVC is not the issue here. if your line only supports 30Mbps and Telstra has sold you a 100Mbps plan, you're never going to get more than 30Mbps.

CVC capacity becomes an issue when your line supports 30Mbps and Telstra only provision enough CVC that you can't reasonably attain that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Well, got an email from Telstra today. As of January 4th, our $80 a month service will be billed at $100. Not only that, prepaid services won't be able to use credit on 3rd party shit, like Google Play. Pretty shit move I thought, and the final straw for us. Both mobiles will be back to ALDI, and I'm currently hunting for a new ISP. I'm tossing up iiNet and TPG atm.

Edit - going to give Aussie Broadband a go

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm in the same boat. I have no use for unlimited data, the 500GB @ $80 monthly I've signed up for will be ample. I'm not looking to get extra data or save money... I just want fast, reliable internet. Methinks a company (ABB) that sets a quota and guarantees speed is a far better option than joining the masses who want 'unlimited internet' when they don't need it and will suffer congestion hell because of it.

If it turns out I need more data, I won't be switching companies (unless the speed fails the test), I'll just pay for more data. You get what you pay for, I'm happy to pay provided I get what I want.

I had a new NBN guy turn up for an appointment on Monday. Man he was pissed off, he thought he was here to connect me. Why do Telco's have so much trouble communicating?????????
    So, he gets on the phone, serves a few folk, and assures me that he will make a full report of the whole job, what needs to be done etc.
    So yesterday (Wednesday) a guy turns up to survey my driveway. He is fully informed of all prior visits. He knows exactly what needs to be done. Hes the man who will actually be doing the cutting...

He thinks he has an easier way.. there is a block of ground level flats next door, and both of the flats closest to me are connected to the NBN.
    He plans to seek approval to run a cable down their conduit, which will leave him with a bit of paving to lift and replace, under the fence and then a mere 5m of concrete cutting. He assures me that if this is not approved, he'll be going the full length of my concrete driveway (62m of conduit from tap to pit) if necessary - AND he hopes to have it done, either way, within a week.

I suggested, and he completely agreed, that I've probably already had a bunch of people visit, take a look at my driveway, and just leave, heading off to another, easier job. In his words "I took one look at it and said 'fuck'. Not surprised if lots of others have taken the same look and said 'fuck off' ".

This feels like the closest I have been to actually getting something done.. fingies, toes and legs are all crossed..

4. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I'd be surprised If he can service you from the adjacent property without an easement. It's exactly the same issue as trenching down the neighbor's part of your shared driveway.

Good luck with it, here's hoping you're posting a speedtest link in a couple of weeks!

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Shot you a PM, ta.

6. miicah

miicah Member

I heard about this recently, but somehow my service wasn't going to be affected. I'm hoping they aren't removing it for everyone.

7. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Literally the only reason I use Telstra prepaid was that I could use the credit to buy shit on Google Play. So it's worthless to me. For $25 I can get 3gb data on Aldi (same network), won't be able to buy stuff on Google Play but the equivalent Telstra recharge is $15 dearer.

miicah likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks supasaiyan for assistance, I've now gone up from 200Gig (+300Gig bonus) to 1.3TB/month. Not sure how that works but ok.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Yeah this is a strange move by Telstra.. I don't really see the logic behind this move but people aren't complaining and getting stuff for free always makes customers happy

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I find it a bit strange also. Perhaps just a blatant market share grab, although is this really going to attract many more? I dunno really.

11. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I find it annoying, all it does is attract the leechers onto their network, what it comes down to is mums and dads not knowing what 1GB or 1000GB is and don't know how to measure their usage.

The flip side is they want a consistent bill without any additional usage charges that are hyped up and think unlimited is best even thou they use only 50GB, i think 1000GB is more than enough to a good majority of users, the ones that pull multiple TB a month need to go somewhere else.

I am about to sign up for Telstra Cable myself, and the choice is not so much for Telstra, the choice is for cable vs DSL, i get free Optus because of my employment but that would be DSL and that can die in a fire.

12. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

My concern is contention and leechers now, and possibly running lower on CVC on NBN platforms.

I'm on FTTH NBN 100/40 plan... currently getting some cracking good speeds but gees is fluctuates.

Some days it 30mbps, other days 30-50, and then some times (like currently despite peak hour) it's like 90-95mbps.

I'd have preferred a free speed boost over more download allowance. I have 500GB already which I never get close to, and even if I did, 3 data top ups a year.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the claims, as I am not connected yet, but my ISP claims my speed is guaranteed, within the limits of my connection of course.. ie no CVC problems, no '6pm slowdown'. 100/40 plan will provide close to that (97/37? nobody actually gets 100/40 afaik) 24/7 according to them, assuming my line is capable.

Everything I've read about them says they provide exactly what they say they will, and they do it well. Thus far, they've been an absolute pleasure to deal with, partially I guess because their call centre is in Gippsland :thumbup:. ABB is the ISP I speak of.

Since I have no line, I'm being connected to a HFC pit at the edge of my driveway, using HFC cable to the house as I understand it, 62m long. New HFC has to be better than old copper !! so I'm hopeful I'll get full speeds.

Same price ($80) as Optus unlimited 25/5, with all the associated concerns you have, but a 500GB data allowance and no free Foxtel/Stan/Netflix etc. data are the downsides. The upside of course is the guaranteed 100/40 instead of the maybe 25/5, for the same price.

Optus quoted me an extra 10 bucks for each speed bump, which made 100/40 $110 anyway, and good luck getting unlimited data at 100/40 at Optus unlimited prices. I'm sure the prices have already changed, but the bottom line is if you want lots of data at guaranteed high speed you need to be willing to pay top dollar.

If you stream and use a lot of data, then they may not be the best option for some people, but for me who like you would never reach 500GB monthly, its a much better deal. I *should* have constant, reliable high speed, and I'd much rather have that than an unlimited, unreliable plan which I don't need.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  14. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I actually looked at Aussie BB and *could* have got their 250/100 plan, but decided that would make me like some sort of evil scientist laughing like a maniac at those posting 100/40 speeds.

Then I realised I didn't need to fork out a few hundred a month for internet :)

I stuck with Telstra because I'm out of contract and can move whenever.

15. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Actually surprised by this, noticed it when I logged into my account yesterday. Now if only they'd increase upload speeds.

16. josh1990

josh1990 Member

My plan with Telstra was the $100 medium (25/5, 200gb, landline, mobile calls $2ea) with a $20 new customer discount, 24 month plan. We rarely use the home phone, it only really covered the line rental anyway. Transferred to NBN when it became available, I installed all the hardware and then received a $300 bill for installation. Hit the roof of course, got that back.

We signed on to start with Aussie BB in December. $80 for 500gb 100/40. First month free, no contract, no install fees etc. The data limit is not an issue, we rarely went over the 200gb. The lack of phone, not an issue either. We can even use the Telstra modem!

We're swapping our mobiles off Telstra as well. Totally done with Telstra, how they've treated us and the issues we've had - unacceptable. Even if they did offer us the unlimited @ the original $80.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2350779609

I got the upgrade to 1tb this billing cycle. 100/40 for $80/m. Will see if the move results in congestion. I think that it won’t. But will keep monitoring speeds. Has been pretty consistent at the 92/34 speeds since i make the switch. What’s really silly is the people who are on unlimited still get top ups :p

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think absolutely this is a valid concern. I do worry about it.

19. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

I'm currently paying $135 for cable with speed boost out of contract, it was 1TB (never came close to using that) and now it's unlimited... I tried to haggle a better deal, no go.
    It really shits me when I read how little people supposedly pay because they are 100% not flexible for me. I tried to change to a lower plan as a consequence and was told I'd have to sign up to a new contract for the privilege...
    They also twice cancelled mobile plan orders (once for a Toshiba laptop then for an iPhone 8) simply because I am in the ADF and was at a different delivery address at the time... without first ringing and asking if there was a problem. I found out a week later when the devices didn't arrive. I asked them to reinstate the order and was told "You just have to reorder through the website Sir". Bought both devices outright instead, didn't even bother with my new phone, just went ouright straight up.

As a result I have reduced our monthly spend with them from close to $400 to $235 and once NBN gets here in the next couple of months my broadband is moving to Aussie Broadband (already placed the order). That'll leave them with two month by month $50 mobile plans only. Been a customer for over 10 years... Can't wait to stick it to them.
    Would be very keen to move those mobile plans too if someone knows a decent alternative.

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've done similarly. I signed up with Optus for NBN (wifey already had Optus ADSL when I got here), but due to multiple fuckups by them I still have no connection, 8 months later. I switched to ABB, I believe their deal is far superior to the Optus deal for my own uses, and so far they have been a delight to deal with. I fully expect that I will have a connection this year now, I was beginning to doubt.

Weirdly though, I have switched my mobiles from Telstra to Optus. Telstra is not a company I ever plan to deal with again, after years in a country area with them being the only half reliable but insanely expensive service available, and countless hours of attempted communication over silly little problems, I've had the jack of them. The turning point was being banned from the Southlands Telstra franchise (the upstairs one) because I had the temerity to complain about a rude and poorly trained staff member via email. I hold that banner proudly.. I've been banned from a Telstra Store, because of a polite email !! :thumbup:

I went to Optus because now that I live in a proper city, I could switch. Still a large carrier with a broad coverage though, which is still important to me. Although they are just as difficult to deal with as Telstra, phone problems just don't happen for me usually, so service is not as important as the NBN will be, for me - short of banning me from a store of course :lol: ... The phone almost always works, that's all I really need from a phone.

I currently have two mobiles with Optus, SIM only, sharing 5GB of data which is more than enough for us. We have unlimited calls and text. I'm paying $26 each, so $52 monthly total. Not needing much data, and not buying one of their phones, and not being on a contract.. win/win and cheap reliable communication. Of course, if you use a lot of data, something else would probably be better.

I was paying $80 monthly to Telstra, with a cap (can't remember, $1000?) EACH for the two phones, so thats an instant $100 monthly save for me. My internet costs wont change when the NBN gets connected, but the product I am buying will be vastly superior.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017