OMG Unlimited Internet from Telstra

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Kelvin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, seems a lot :shock: I've never had an issue negotiating discounts. Currently paying $79/month for 1.3TB (after the recent boost that is, it was 500Gig prior).

2. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

It does, doesn't it? But they are absolutely not willing to budge... I haven't tried for a couple of months now and I'm not trying again, too much hassle spending that much time on the phone/chat.

Edit: I just had a look. If I want to stay on my current 1TB plan, it is now $102 with speed boost - but they want to charge me a one-off $120.- casual plan fee for the privilege...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Are you talking to retentions team and threatening to take your business elsewhere?

4. ecroF

ecroF Member

I don't get my unlimited until feb, I have to put up with ONLY 2000GB/month until then ....... cus obviously 2000gb is a serious restriction and I totally need unlimited downloads. :rolleyes::rolleyes: The fact that I'd be totally fine with >500gb is beside the point.

millen likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Shouldn't it be already updated and usable?

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

That's more than just a bit shit.

Click to view full size!

I was ultimate cable prior to moving to NBN. Said i wouldn't change without getting same speed and quota for the same price. The best they could do was $1 more per month under a 24 month contract. That was fine by me. I've experienced the customer service issues people talk about, but the internet service has been pretty flawless for me.

7. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Just got my bill in..

$100 Global Bundle
    - $20 credit discount
    = $80 per month (old plan migrated to NBN)
    + $30 speedboost (100/40)
    = $110 per month.

8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

They charging you extra?

9. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

It's now unlimited data and 100/40 for $110 a month... as I get the $20 loyalty credit.

10. power

power Member

can't believe you guys pay $100+ a month for internet.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can, plenty of people on all sorts of different plans. But people need to shop around to get the best deals and discounts. Discounting is freely offered merely just for asking.

12. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

But why are they charging you extra $30 for speed boost? When I moved from cable to NBN, the speed boost was applied automatically, I am not paying anything extra.

13. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I suppose it depends on the CSA on the other end of the phone. It's been hit and miss for me with Telstra & Foxtel discount. A couple of times I've followed through with cancellation as no discount was forthcoming from the retentions team.

14. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Were you already on speedboosted 100mbit cable or not?

I was just on standard 25Mbit cable. When I was moved from cable to NBN (actually I changed houses and had account migrated), they upgraded my speed to 25/5 by default.

I wanted it faster as I was maxing out that 25/5, so added the Very Fast Speedboost of 100/40 to the account.

The 100 Mbit down is most certainly there, uploads stuck at 5 still but that doesn't bother me.

15. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Yes, I was on speed boosted cable before transitioning to NBN.

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, do you think those that migrated from cable to HFC NBN are getting better NBN performance than ADSL users? I'm a long time Telstra cable user (ADSL here is very poor and no Optus) so I am dreading the change over .... I get 130+ up and 2.5 down so hopefully 100/40 might even be better in some things.

How about in gaming? Does faster upload help anything?

:)

17. caspian

caspian Member

it's very important to differentiate between NBN network performance and ISP CVC performance. they are very different subjects.

NBN HFC is an access network technology. it will deliver the requested speed tier, period. how much CVC bandwidth your ISP makes available, to service all of their users on that POI*, is a per-ISP issue unrelated to the NBN.

games use relatively little bandwidth, as evidenced by that they work fine on ADSL. increasing the bandwidth won't help anything in that regard, although it will allow other applications to also use increased bandwidth without detracting from the gaming experience.

*bearing in mind that it's quite possible for an ISP to have more than CVC... so it's possible for two users, on the same POI, using the same ISP, to have very different experiences unless the ISP manages their CVC utilisation carefully.

18. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I was referring more to the increased upload speed, I know the bandwidth isnt critical for gaming performance but lag, disconnections and packet loss is right?

So the short answer is I wont know until I try it.

:(

19. caspian

caspian Member

same for upload. games run fine now on sub-1Mbps. more of something you don't need doesn't improve anything.

lag is a function of the technology in use and how its configured. NBN branded HFC cable won't have any discernibly different latency than Telstra branded (especially when the cable itself is not changing!), the network routing from your ISP out to the cloud might change but that's again a function of the ISP - not the NBN network.

so the answer is that the NBN network isn't going to change what you have now. your ISP might.

20. callan

callan Member

My Telstra 100/2.4mbit HFC bigpond connection was slid across to unlimited a few days ago.
    Shame it's not currently being used, and will be disconnected soon-ish. (AussieBB NBN now). I've been running them in tandem since jacking into the NBN. Typically I use <200Gig/month so it wouldn't really do anything for me.

Download speeds on NBN have been %20-25 slower than on bigpond, and peak-time congestion, once non-existent is now a very real thing (although some recent scheduled NBN downtime seems to have fixed the egregious slowdowns) . My experience with HFC NBN has been seriously underwhelming in that regard.
    The slow upload speed was always an issue with Bigpond cable, as it was easy to saturate the uplink and choke the whole connection but that doesn't seem to happen on HFC NBN: the connection is much more resilient in the face of competing simultaneous usage.
    As caspian outlined the technology is (largely) the same, and my experience with gaming pingtimes has been that there is no sensible difference: ISP routing would have a far greater effect. It only takes about 3ms or so for data to leave the HFC network, unless something is seriously wrong. (don't forget latency is a RETURN trip, though so double that for ping times.!)

There is an inherent latency overhead with ADSL, and "interleaving" exacerbates it: some ISP's provide a "gaming profile" that turns this "interleaving" off, which reduces latency at the expense of increased jitter and robustness.
    Moving from ADSL to HFC will definitely reduce gaming ping times.

As somewhat of a comparison, gaming ping times with my 10mbit failover wireless connections add 25ms to gaming ping times over the equivalent HFC connection.

Callan

Cryogenic likes this.