OMG Unlimited Internet from Telstra

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Kelvin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. caspian

caspian Member

poor, poor Telstra. how ever will they survive?

they build brilliant networks and then proceed to completely fuck up the marketing and support of them through penny pinching management practices, and offshoring roles to people who have no idea and often can't even speak the same language as their customers with any degree of competence.

it was nothing whatsoever to do with cost. this issue is that they have no idea how to do anything efficiently or quickly, both are terms that the organisation organically just doesn't understand. it's why their competitors run rings around them in innovation and bringing products to market years before Telstra can, and then at prices that make people scratch their heads and wonder why they even bothered. for what they charge they should be approaching perfect.

Ziggy did nothing much wrong. they couldn't control the government selling them, but putting that fuckwit Trujillo in place was 100% the fault of the Telstra board and Don McGauchie in particular. Don should have stuck to farming potatoes, because he sure as hell knew nothing about telecommunications, which is why he resigned before he could be fired by the board in 2009 for the disaster he was responsible for.

I don't even blame Trujillo that much. he was hired to be a hatchet man and he did his job. we all hate him for it, but nobody ever likes the hangman much. the problems that he caused were irreparable though, and the only good thing that came out of it was that under his "leadership" Telstra managed to get themselves disqualified from the NBN build, because dog alone knows what would have happened then. I'm sure that politicians would still have done their level best to screw up any outcome the same as they always manage to, but getting Telstra out of the mix so the national carrier could be a genuinely agnostic wholesaler was the pearl in that particular oyster.

so forward to today, and the leaner, meaner, apparently matured and several-CEOs-down-the-line Telstra still can't quite figure out that what they need to do is suck less. they still have a pretty good network, but they're still managing it incompetently by offshoring all of the control of it. they still haven't quite cottoned on that the public hates offshored support teams with passion and ever fibre of their being, they could so easily differentiate themselves by fixing this but nope - gonna stick with the offshored script readers. they're still a classic example of companies who talk the most about customer service and trying to improve it being the worst at it - companies who are actually good at customer service tend to be so organically, and probably wonder why it's so hard for others.

Telstra no longer deserve to exist as a dominant player in the market, and frankly we would all be better off with more competition and choice.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Haven’t followed up as yet, but need to do so very soon. Will update when i do :)

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This times 1000. The major reason I like ABB as a carrier is their local call centre. Every person I have ever spoken to speaks the same language I do, and does not work from a script. Every person I have ever spoken to can fix my issue, they can actually listen and multi task. I don't need to get transferred from team to team to team to get something done, the same individual can fix everything, from technical issues to billing and beyond. It takes a maximum of 15 minute, including any hold times, to get everything I want done.

My mothers boyfriend is with Telstra, does the right thing every time, and has constant issues with them, their service, and their billing system. He has actually broken two phones by smashing them on the floor in frustration whilst speaking to Telstra call centres. Extremely childish behaviour, of course, especially from a man well into his 80's, but it just highlights the level of frustration when it comes to dealing with Telstra. I've seen him on the phone to Testra for 3 hours trying to get a minor billing issue fixed. Granted he is a pedantic old wanker, trying to get a $20 discrepancy fixed or something like that, but it just shouldn't happen, and should be easily fixed in a matter of a few minutes, not 3 hours while still not achieving the desired outcome.

The sooner the major Telco's realise that the overwhelming majority of customers do not like offshore script readers, the sooner they will stop losing customers to the smaller, more customer oriented players in the market. Saving a few (or even a lot of) bucks with an offshore call centre is a false economy, one that makes the people with the best networks become the worst carriers.

caspian likes this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

a rare example of a company who actually takes customer service seriously (as opposed to talking about it as a substitute). here's their call centre: https://goo.gl/maps/dHtfCRZC7iF2

and that's what happens when you hire competent people, onshore, and train them properly.

isn't it amazing that we're all now so used to completely crap service that it's a surprise when someone gets it right? this is, of course, the idea - business hopes that we'll all resign ourselves to crap as the new norm and just accept it after a while. when we stop complaining, they take the "fall" in complaints as a measure of success and move on to screwing up something else next.

I quite believe it, and it probably saved him from having an embolism and stroking out on the spot due to extreme bloody pressure secondary to off-scale frustration.

they know it full well. the problem (from our point of view) is that it saves them more money in customer service than it costs them in lost revenue, and while we as customers continue to tolerate the behaviour by rewarding them with our business, they're not going to stop.

why anyone would use Telstra in a world of increasing genuine opportunities not to do so, I have no idea.

5. Draxx

Draxx Member

I remember Internode being like this many years ago, prior to TPG buyout. I have found one part of ABB to be pain to deal with - reseller department - I've been trying to become a reseller for them for over a month now, and still not progressing :)

6. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

I finally made the call today and the impression I got was that they sound determined to get rid of these discounts.

Couldn't get them to budge but did get an account credit equal to the value of the discounts that we would've received over the next seven months, (which is the end of contract).

Hopefully we'll have NBN by then.

7. grrrr

grrrr Member

Thanks Sir Bazz

8. power

power Member

what is it with telstra and fucking credits - pricks will never give money back only credits.

9. caspian

caspian Member

(1) once they've got their hands on your money, they're not giving it back. providing you with a credit does forgo future revenue but the actual service effectively costs nothing for them to provide.

(2) they don't trust their offshore staff to authorise actual cash transactions.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

TIO - closing an account in credit requires payment of credits.

11. caspian

caspian Member

that would require Telstra to pay the user.

12. power

power Member

every single time they try it on with me i say no - give it back.

they must have meellions in credits just sitting in their bank accounts.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This from ABB, 8 hrs ago. An outage last weekend which I was unaware of, one that did not affect me ( unless I was having a grandpa nap at the time :lol: ). Look and learn, major Telcos....

Try the whirlpool link provided, they totally admit to all their faults and failings, and pledge to do better. Telstra would have simply said 'a outage occurred' ...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  14. Copie

Copie Member

This sort of shit wouldnt of happened with a major telco, especially once you read the actual technical reason as to why it happened (DDOS attack, and them not spending enough on getting the backend correct and rather going hard on capex)

This is from the CEO of ABB

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Wow. Kudos to them on putting their money where their mouth is on mitigating CVC congestion, but perhaps a few $$ could be thrown towards building a real carrier grade network? I mean, holy hell their RADIUS is tied to some Cisco ASAs????

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Didn't iinet spend their first 2 years operating out of a suburban Perth garage? Everyone has to start somewhere. Their customers seem very happy in the main, that's not a metric which can be applied to any of the majors.

17. Copie

Copie Member

It screams mudguard logic for me.

Shiny ontop, shit underneath.

18. caspian

caspian Member

to paraphrase something I said elsewhere today:

everyone wants perfection - no congestion, no downtime, at least N+1 redundancy on everything.

but everyone wants to pay consumer competition-driven pricing.

19. Copie

Copie Member

Bit different between wanting perfection and wanting something that is setup correctly. Rapidly expanding without getting the fundamental structure right is just stupid.

20. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I am with Telstra. Had crappy internet and dropping out all the time. Half the time running on backup speed.
    Dropping out up to ten times a day. I annoyed shit out of them day after day. I didn't go offshore to those script readers I have trouble understanding.I kept dialing their 24/7 chat line. Was given every excuse you can imagine.
    Finally got onto someone who knew what the problem was, on his end. I got pissed off saying I pay for 50down, I want 50 down all the time.He fixed the problem in four minutes and now in two days haven't had one reduction in speed.I am actually getting round 58 down now.At last someone at Telstra knew what the problem was.
    My wife said "stop contacting them, you never get anywhere". I am stubborn, and won out in the end.