OmniTik Help

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Primüs, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Primüs

Primüs Member

Hi *,

Having a weird issue. Setting up my first OmniTik U-5hnd with the following config (from outside in):

- DSL (from my own company)
    - DSL Modem (bridged)
    - Port 1 OmniTik
    - pppoe client on OmniTik to auth for the DSL (working great)
    - pppoe server setup to work on hidden SSID WiFi network (No IP's assigned until PPPoE authed)
    - No NAT (Framed routing down the DSL)

Ultimately, it is working beautifully. I am using a mix of SXT's and MacBook Pro's to be the PPPoE clients, they auth fine, they get their IP's, they route fine etc. The problem I'm seeing is that all the clients appear to be sharing a maximum of 1mbit of bandwidth.

This is not 1mbit each, this is 1mbit total.

I have plugged the DSL modem straight into my MBP, PPPoE'd and hit 9-10mbit no sweat, so I'm confident in saying the issue is in the OmniTik. I moved the pppoe client to another port (Port 2) in case of faulty hardware, no difference.

I have looked all over webfig and the config via CLI to find no reference of any rate limiting anywhere. It would have to be on the ether, or the wireless on the OmniTik as it appears to be 1mbit shared accross all connected devices.

Anyone had this issue before?

I'm pretty new to RouterOS, so please let me know what part of the config you'd like to see and I will get it for you (minus some sensitive stuff).

2. Gecko

Gecko Member

A few things to check

1. Check your MTU/MSS, the Mikrotiks sometimes need a bit of tweaking to get this right
    2. Check your PPP profiles and see if you have any rate limiting enabled there
    3. Check your ethernet interfaces to check if there is any rate limiting configured
    4. Try connecting a client in without using the PPPoE server and see if that makes a difference - will at least let you narrow down which side is misbehaving

If you bought the unit from Duxtel, give Mike there a call, he has been very helpful to us in the past when we've encountered problems.

3. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

Hey Gecko,

Thanks for your response.

1) MTU/MSS I had gone around and checked, and believed I had everything set about 1480, however there may have been some things slightly different (i.e. 1500). I wouldn't think the Mikrotiks doing the defrag/refrag would cause this much of a performance hit. It's literally like it is LIMITING to 1mbit (start downloading file, 120kB/s, as soon as it goes to 121kB/s it swaps back to 120kB/s). Although this morning I remoted in and set the outside ppp interface for the DSL down to 1400 with intention of going through and doing that to the lot, kicked itself offline after that, whoops. Lucky not production.

2/3) Checked as many interfaces in the line as I possibly can, to see if ratelimiting is anywhere. Can not see a single bar of it. Even rant /interfaces export and read over the config there to see if I can find reference to ratelimiting still no luck :(.

4) This is my other problem which isn't as bad. I have wlan1 interface running as a hidden SSID no security network, that doesn't dish out IP's etc that you must PPPoE on then get a public IP, then I set up a VirtualAP to pass out private IP's and NAT me behind the ADSL but my VirtualAP is not handing out a default route, and even if I put it in manually it doesn't let me route even though the routing table looks OK lol. I will reinvestigate this to get it working though as it took lower priority over the PPP server stuff.

Thanks for your help I'll post any findings I have later, hopefully with a fix or enough info for a suggested fix :)

4. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

Found that:

When running on the VirutalAP (so DHCP address behind NAT), get full speed of the DSL connection.

So it definitely appears to be an issue with the PPPoE server and its clients specifically.

Still can't find reference to any rate-limiting anywhere in the config.

Have submitted a ticket to Duxtel to see what they will say about it (they are purchased from Duxtel, and resolving this last issue is a pre-cursor to ordering more with them).

5. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

Holy shit never mind.

An ancient access-list that this specific IP range I was using for public routing happened to rate-limit that range to 1mbit. I feel like an ASS as I thought I did a blanket search on all our routers for this IP range bah.

In a way im glad it wasn't the Mikrotiks at fault, as I was worried dealing with a device that may be so 'finicky' :( lol.

I'll go shoot myself now.