Onboard NIC just disappeared

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ex4n, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ex4n

ex4n Member

Hey guys,

Yesterday I dismantled my PC as was having issues with water temps, turned out to be a little dye clogged in my block. I rebuilt it after that, leak tested overnight for about 14 hours (no leaks), then tried to power it up.

Was working fine for a few hours, then I plugged in my Ethernet cable, no connection. Ok, checked the other end, that was fine. Checked the port and no activity lights on it... strange.. Opened device manager and no network devices are listed. Checked in BIOS and made sure it wasn't disabled somehow.

Specs:
    Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 - onboard lan
    i5-2500k
    8GB RAM
    2x 5770s

I have no idea what the issue may be, I tried clearing the CMOS (removed battery) and no luck. The only thing I can think now is that I somehow damaged it in the rebuild, and its now faulty. Strange that it was only the NIC though.

Any suggestions before I take the board out and try to get it replaced?

Cheers guys.

2. woodys_world69

woodys_world69 Member

3. OP
    OP
    ex4n

ex4n Member

4. yaphax

yaphax Member

i assume you tried rebooting? I used to have this funny issue on my laptop where the NIC would disappear, but upon reboot it would come back...

5. 3th4n

3th4n Member

Posted this in your worklog but I figured I would post it here incase anyone else is looking for a possible fix:

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

^^ lol.....now that's a pretty random sort of fix. Repetitively press the pc power button for a minute?? heh

7. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

Try releasing the pressure on the CPU block.

It can cause issues if it's tightened too much.

8. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

This seems to be similar to a problem that plagued me with older linux Realtek drivers where it would make the NIC drop out until I unplugged the computer for a bit and plugged it back in. It's a real phenomenon, although I've never had it happen just using windows, but it's worth a shot as it might solve the issue.

9. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

1. you may of damaged it
    2. Maybe the PSU isn't plugged in right
    3. Leave it a few days? Maybe the water cooling water leaked on it and it should of been left to dry before use.
    4. I dunno lol

If you did damage it though it might not be covered with warranty if for example they see water damage.

10. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

I've had this happen to me with my Intel NIC when doing some overclocking (nothing extreme). Usually sorts itself out after a few reboots.

Try unplugging the power for a few minutes. Might work after.