Onboard raid or Dedicated raid card?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Adona, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adona

Adona Member

Hey People

I'm currently looking at setting up a raid. I am pretty new to raiding so I was wondering for reliability is it better to go with onboard raid or using a dedi raid card?

Thanks

2. Jazper

Jazper Member

Neither. Unless you're in a corporation or CPU bound, then you're better off using software raid

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

What purpose are you looking at? Is this for dedicated storage (NAS, etc), or just for a bit of extra workstation reliability?

4. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

Data integrity more then anything. It's for when I back stuff up. Speed isn't really an issue but fast the better I guess

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

No hardware raid card will do block-level checksums to ensure data integrity, use software raid and scrub regularly.

6. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Where are you backing up from/to?

An example of Software RAID - my "NAS" is an unRAID box with N-2 redundancy formatted to BTRFS (for checksumming only), which backs up to my games PC using Windows dynamic drives (mirrored / RAID1).

Regardless of whether I used hardware RAID cards or even a different method of software RAID, the redundancy is for convenience only such that I don't have to resync a heap of data in the event of a drive failure at either end. Data integrity is covered via the NAS file-system, and the method of copying/verifying data between machines.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

Well currently I'm looking at weather it's viable because I got given a HP ML110 G6 with a P212 raid array card and was wondering if it really worth keeping it or pulling it out and putting it in the dustbin. If they arn't useful I will probably just turf it unless there are another use for them.

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

If you have another HBA or enough SATA ports for your drives then i would turf it and use software raid. On the other hand if the ML110 is going to be used as a backup server and you would have to buy another HBA to replace it, then I would use it with the server.

9. wwwww

wwwww Member

It's an old card but with a BBU you can get good performance out of mechanical drives, way better than anything software/onboard RAID can achieve.

It will hold SSDs back though.

10. OP
    OP
    Adona

Adona Member

all good. Ive decided to use the ML110 G6 as a plex box. I just need gb of ecc ram so I can install free nas. only have 4gb but need 8gb