Onboard sound stopped working.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pizzaman, May 19, 2015.

1. pizzaman

pizzaman Member

Hey was having a few issues with graphics card so reseated it to see if it would help. (it did)

However after doing so it seems my onboard sound doesnt want to work correctly

my mobo is an asus sabertooth z97 mark2 with

RealtekĀ® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Im running windows 8.1

I have been running speakers from line out and a set of astros via mixamp from the optical out.

Now while in windows i get strange pops and clicks but no actual audio. When i move the mouse and type i also get some feedback (through bad grounding???)

I have noticed while looking at the toslink cable that there is no light shining through it.

Things i have tried.

disabling/renabling onboard in bios.
    re installing realtek drivers.
    punching myself in the dick
    reinstalling nvidia graphics drivers.
    resetting bios entirely.
    using alternative speakers.

my sound works if i use a USB headset with its own soundcard of course.

Anyone got any ideas? i guess its possible i fried the onboard some how while reseating graphics card. However i have never done anything like this before on literally hundreds of system builds/repairs/upgrades.

sure i could just buy a dedicated soundcard (which i probably should) but would rather have a fully functioning motherboard / sort this out while its still under warranty

Thanks for any help

2. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Not something silly like the HDMI out is now default audio out?

3. power

power Member

my first thought, the GPU audio has probably defaulted itself.

4. OP
    OP
    pizzaman

pizzaman Member

thanks for the ideas but i checked this. also went as far as booting with gpu removed to make sure there was no conflicts.

also have booted into linux distro. similar problems. less distortation heard.

got the shits and bought a cheap asus pcie audio card. worked straight away no problems. still want to fix the onboard however. anyone had anything similar like this happen.

thanks

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I would take it back for RMA. Biggest pain will be having to wait if it gets returned. If not real old (how old can a Z97 board be) demand replacement on the spot and see how you go. Otherwise wait for it to be 1 year old, then deal with ASUS directly?

Onboard audio is dicky on a board Z77 I have and use a soundcard to get around it. No warranty for me though due to not original purchaser...no receipt and other abuse so I live with it.

6. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

have not ever tried this one - has it been successful in the past for troubleshooting?

7. im late

im late Member