1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

One device disrupts internet for all other devices?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by BGH, Jan 12, 2018.

1. BGH

BGH Member

I have one device (Macbook pro) that disrupts the internet for all other devices on the network.

If I ping www.google.com and the router IP when the rogue device isn't connected it is rock solid for hours on end. As soon as the rogue device joins the network it pings to the router still work fine (so I don't think it's a wireless issue) but the pings to www.google.com start failing sporadically on all devices on the network. It will work for a minute or so, then stop, the start again. After disconnecting and reconnecting from the network the rogue device is fine for a minute or so before shit starts breaking.

All devices are set to obtain IP addresses automatically and I can confirm that there are no IP conflicts. DNS servers are also just set to automatically and all devices are picking up the router's IP for the DNS server.

What am I missing. Would could cause the internet on all device to suddenly bork itself when one device comes online?

2. FOTW

FOTW Member

Does the mac run fine and all other devices drop connection? Or do all devices including the Mac drop connection. What if its just the Mac on its own or the Mac and one other device? Some basic routers start to fall over if more then 4-5 devices are connected at once. Could the mac be hogging all the bandwidth with an update, or is another process in the background using your bandwidth. (double check that there aren't any torrenting programs running in the background.

Try updating the firmware on the router.

Also try switching your router to another channel.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

whats the rouge device?
    had this issue with a customers pc.. everything else in the house worked until 5 mins after that pc was connected....turned out the network card was fubar