one hot core on intel quadcore

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ibace, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ibace

ibace Member

Have just finished building a basic gaming system; was running on air at first but....
    Asrock Z68
    Intel i5 2500K
    2 x 4 Generic 1333 ram
    GTX 580
    Corsair VS 650
    120 GB Kingston SSD
    1 TB Seagate Storage Drive

Did a bit of overclocking...my first attempt seem to run good at 4.1 GHZ using the Asrock Overclocking software... Phase 2...updated the ram to 4 x 4 GB and removed the air cooling and added a Corsair H80i...all seems good and haven't really started to overclock...but noticed what I am thinking is an anomaly with the Corsair Link Software...it shows the following temps;
    Temp #1 32.0C
    Temp #2 26.0C
    Temp #3 41.5C
    Temp #4 29.0C

Link to screenshot; http://i65.tinypic.com/24xjfhc.jpg

So why the difference with the #3 Temp?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

One core has more load? Try running something that stresses all cores and see if they even out.

Also not really modding related.

3. OP
    OP
    ibace

ibace Member

Apologies if I have listed in wrong forum [which is the right one?]

Your response was the same as my initial thought...then I realised that the temps mentioned are specified as motherboard temps under the heading of Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3...and not temps of the cpu cores, as they are just about even [at 26.0C to 29.0C] in the picture of the Corsair software specified under the heading of 2500K...

Thought anyone?

4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

try downloading something like Coretemp that only reads the CPU temps, save confusion.

Then see what ti does on idle and under heavy load.

5. pigzenny

pigzenny New Member

Hi, rather than start a new thread I have pretty much the same issue on my 4690k -

[​IMG]

just to clear up any potential confusion - what seems to be happening is intel burn test causing core 1 going nuts and hitting 100c, cpu throttles down to 2800mhz, but every other core is within perfect safety.

Just for giggles here's the test run using just CPU:OCCT's own test, without ibt -

[​IMG]

I've tried reseating the heatsink 3 times on this machine - it's in a big Core V51 case with 1x200mm, 3x140mm, 2x120mm fans, and a Thermaltake NicF4 cooler. I've seen about 3c difference on idle/normal load temps but nothing that takes any edge off the throttling or insane heat on the first core. It's only fairly modestly overclocked to 4200mhz - for games and other gpu bound things I can hit about 4.5, but if I try running something acutally demanding (focus stack a couple dozen photos in photoshop for eg) then you see this kind of issue crop up, can be enough to make the machine unstable sometimes.

Is delidding a good thing to pursue at this point, do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  6. m3k

m3k Member

factory airbubble in cpu tim . yea prob delid- or more realistically send in for replacement