1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

One-off conversion of ESRI shapefile

Discussion in 'General Software' started by SimParadox, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I am trying to convert a file from ESRI shapefile to:

First - .SVG (scaleable vector graphic)
    Second - .EMF (enhanced metafile)

I need both versions for what I am doing. The file is a map of Australia with every single postcode region. Uncompressed the file is 109MB.

Convert to SVG - I've tried using Indiemapper, but the file is too large and it stops loading halfway through.

Convert to EMF - previously I was using Inkscape, but it had trouble dealing with a previous version of the map that was half the size.

I understand that converting from SVG to EMF can be done in Adobe Illustrator, unfortunately I've been unemployed for 7 months and just can't afford the several hundred dollars for the software. And I'm not one for illegally copying software.

So, is there anyone that can help with these one-off conversions?

Alternatively, if the file is just too big for anyone to convert, does anyone know of an application that will allow me to break an ESRI file into a few pieces (e.g. states) so I can try with smaller chunks?

Many thanks!

2. gcflora

gcflora Member

I can probably convert to SVG... dunno about EMF

Link?

3. HeXa

HeXa Member

try converting to KML first

4. OP
    OP
    SimParadox

SimParadox Member

Thanks for replying.

Link is here: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/1270.0.55.003July 2011?OpenDocument

It is the ZIP download described as "Postal Areas ASGS Non ABS Structures Ed 2011 Digital Boundaries in ESRI Shapefile Format"

When uncompressed the folder has a few files, the relevant ones being the shapefile itself (109MB) and its associated DBF file (190KB). My understanding is that the DBF file contains the names associated for each object, in this case postcodes.

Cheers!

P.S. My ultimate goal is to form a choropleth map in Excel using the process described here http://www.clearlyandsimply.com/cle...e-excel-choropleth-maps-from-shape-files.html

5. gcflora

gcflora Member

Interesting project

The SVG conversion didn't work very well and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

In the meantime I've converted to to KMZ for Google Earth (this contains the postcodes as well as the boundaries). Maybe it'll be easier to convert from KMZ/KML to SVG and EMF?

I'll send you a link when it's finished uploading. (SENT)

It looks pretty good in Google Earth actually (I know it's not what you asked for) after playing with the layer transparency etc. Anyway hopefully you can convert KMZ ...

Edit 2: interesting that maybe 30% of Tasmania has no post code :-o

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. OP
    OP
    SimParadox

SimParadox Member

When you look at the postcode/suburb data from another ABS source, you see that some postcodes can cover over 100 towns too.

Thanks very much for links, will see if it will work.

Cheers!

7. underskore

underskore Member

i'm not surprised about inkscape falling over, its a good program but can't handle massive amount of detail...
    interesting project, good luck.

8. shredder

shredder Member

Have you got this sorted yet? If you still need help with it let me know.

9. shredder

shredder Member

Well tough bikkies, you're being helped whether you need it or not. :p

Here's the data in svg and emf (2015 edit: link now dead). I simplified the fine detail in the shapefile down to a 25m tolerance, which has compressed storage to about a fifth of the original size while still retaining plenty of detail for large and medium scale work.

It could be much further en-smallened, if you didn't need to be zooming in far.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. madison_giles

madison_giles New Member

Any chance you still have this around? DL no longer works.

Cheers!

11. shredder

shredder Member

All good, I think this is it <link now dead>

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  12. madison_giles

madison_giles New Member

Legend-ary my friend! :)

13. Saate

Saate Member

With apologies for the thread necro - any chance I can get a fresh upload too? Happy to upload and host it on one of my domains and share the link to help any future people :)

14. shredder

shredder Member

No worries, here's another temporary sendspace link -

https://www.sendspace.com/file/7oil2a

As far as I'm concerned you're more than welcome to host the file and share a link here. (for the sake of completeness I mention that I don't know who actually owns the data or under what license it can be distributed - this was just a file format conversion on my part).

15. Saate

Saate Member

Thanks so much for the quick response and new link :) and yep, totally get you on the ownership/licensing. Not to fear - it's produced by the bureau of stats and is Creative Commons so we're all good on that part!

I figure there's probably a select few data geeks like us who'll keep ending up at this thread so might as well sort it out with a permalink :) Playing with some choropleth stuff in excel similar to what the OP was doing.

16. Rezin

Rezin Member

It'll be here as well.

17. Excellent Mong.

Excellent Mong. Member

Hi guys, is there a dedicated GIS discussion thread on OCAU? A quick search didn't turn up much, but a few of you seem to be extremely knowledgeable in this space - and as a trainee town planner / spatial analyst, I'm very keen to leech your knowledge. :lol:

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not to my knowledge, but you could start one :p

I've just recently been getting back into it after a few years away with another company doing non GIS work.