1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

One Ram stick died, what path forward?

Discussion in 'Memory' started by lazjen, Jun 9, 2021.

1. lazjen

lazjen Member

I've got a ThreadRipper system that's currently set up with 4 x 16Gb RAM (I need as much RAM as I can get/afford). At the time I bought it, it was 2 x two packs, so I was running in dual channel mode.

One of the sticks has died, so I'm now down to 48Gb is single channel mode. I'm going to run some memory tests to see if any of the remaining ones are suspect as well, but for now, let's assume they are ok.

RAM:

• G.Skill 32GB (2x 16GB) F4-3600C17D-32GTZR DDR4 3600Mhz Trident Z RGB.
    Motherboard (has 8 RAM slots, A1, A2 ... D1, D2):
    • AsRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard AMD Ryzen Threadripper TR4
    I'd like to get back to 64Gb+ so I wondering what options I've got.

What am I losing between Dual channel and Single Channel?
    Can I add 32Gb stick(s) to the system and mix with the current 16Gb sticks? e.g. 2x16Gb + 2x32Gb? What if the RAM speeds don't match?

Other suggestions?

2. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

I can answer some of my questions now:

Single channel is "awful" - it drops the memory speed to 2133 across all sticks.

And amazingly I can still buy the exact same packs of memory. So, I'm going to get another 2x16Gb pack and bring the system back to 64Gb (and have a spare 16Gb). I'll be back to 4 x 16Gb RAM of exactly the same brand, etc.

3. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

RAM generally has a limited lifetime warranty, but you will need to send the whole kit, eg. both sticks in a dual kit.

Singly channel does not "drop the memory speed to 2133", that's because you have DOCP off, or the memory set to DDR4 default speeds.

It will be showing Single channel because you have 3 sticks installed. 2(Dual) does not go in to 3(sticks) evenly. Remove the other stick from the pack that has the faulty stick.

You will lose a bit of performance going to single channel. Mixing RAM is generally a bad run, but if you bring the speeds down to match the lowest kit, you may have some luck. Ultimately, don't bother.

Since you bought 2 x 2packs of RAM, get the faulty stick and its matching stick together, lodge a warranty through the retailer or G.Skill, and in the mean time use your other kit to continue using your PC until the warranty replacement comes.

4. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Sorry, traveled past coffee machine and missed some other posts in the mean time.
    Limp mode and warranty replacement is the way to go if applicable!

2x16Gb + 2x32Gb?
    Surely 2*32GB is sufficient if you want to get back to 64GB? (ie: Ditch the 16GB sticks.)
    Alternatively, just buy one compatible 16GB stick or 2 matched 16GB sticks and ditch 1 16GB stick.
    I'd suggest, if your aren't trying to squeeze blood out of a stone/get the last 0.1% performance tweak then just get a similar rated 16GB stick to replace the failed one.

Best way to think about RAM matching is (for dual bank systems) each pair (ie same slot # in each bank) needs to be timings compatible or, generally speaking, the lower of the two will force the second stick at less than what it can 'theoretically' achieve (ie dragged down to the performance of the lesser of the pair). The preceding relates to matching RAM in the same slot position across banks as more often than not, they share common timings from the memory controller.
    The second aspect of understanding RAM matching is to do with between 'slots' within each bank. This is more decoupled in that most BIOS's evaluate RAM slot by slot relatively independently compared to across banks for the same slot #. Hence, matching across banks for a given slot # (in each bank) is more significant in terms of compatibility concerns than between slots within a bank.

In simple words, these days it takes a fair bit of effort to get such an incompatibility between RAM sticks for a BIOS to not be able to resolve a working set of timings for each slot using the worst spec'd RAM and thus ignoring the potential of better sticks if necessary. (ie: Don't put expensive RAM in parallel (ie same slot #) with 'cheap as chips' RAM - you're wasting the $'s.)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  5. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

I bought the original RAM back in Jan 2018 and the warranty is listed as "Limited Lifetime Warranty", so I need to work out what that really means. https://www.gskill.com/warranty <-- "*Lifetime warranty may be subject to definitions as set by different countries." I suspect 3 years might be too long.

I could have got 2 x 32Gb for about $600+, but I would have had to use it by itself, or cop the lower speeds for mixing with the remaining 2 x 16Gb.

I am able to order the exact same RAM as I've got (for $325), so I know I'll be right across the board for the memory settings/speed and be back to the 64Gb. If I was starting from nothing (or they were all dead), it would be much better to get the 2 x 32Gb.

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Gee I'm banking on g.skill honouring warranty longer than 3 years. My 32gb threw 79 errors in memtest at their rated speed of 3200. Running at 2400 to be stable. Once finished plotting I will test which pair need to be replaced and be sending them back. If they won't honour 3 year old mem I'm stuffed

7. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

I can almost guarantee that they will honour it still. I've managed to get warranty on a kit 6 years old from them (and similar age on other RAM manufacturers)

lazjen likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

Hrm, I might have been too quick to blame the memory - or just that stick.

I'm trying to memtest86+ - I've tried with the 3 remaining sticks, then with just 2, then in single stick only. memtest86+ is freezing up very quickly. What's the chances of all 4 being bad, versus what I assume could be the motherboard?

I'm going to do more testing - maybe I can tweak something in the bios.

9. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

Well, the plot thickens. I did some more reading on memtest86+ and the potential error reasons - #1 was UEFI. I had noticed that some of my settings weren't what I expected. I've re-flashed the bios with the latest version, reset my settings, and have all the memory installed. So far, working fine.

Off to do some image processing to see if it's happy again...

EDIT: Seems so - just processed a stack of images, system peaked at 58Gb used, nothing crashed

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  10. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I thought Threadripper was Quad Channel , if its anything like quad channel servers then it should let you run Dual or triple channel as well. If it did go to single channel it was most likely due to the 1X 32GB stick. The speed thing is because the sticks are mismatched in thier XMP settings, its most likely falling back to Base spec. may have to manually OC them.

Lifetime warranty is generally the life time of that SKU. It can be bad if you buy it right before it goes EOL (End of life ) and be screwed or buy it right at the start and get like 5+ years. If you can still buy the same SKU and its not old stock you should be fine.

I do believe that with the new ACCC consumer law changes there is a minimum companies have to provide with " Lifetime " warranties. Pretty sure Belkin got screwed a while back for saying left time and then EOLing parts frequently to get out of providing warranty.

11. OP
    OP
    lazjen

lazjen Member

Well, good to know about the RAM warranty - obviously I haven't had to deal with returns of any before, and thankfully, it seems I still don't have to do so.