One remote to rule them all!

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by trevor68, Sep 9, 2010.

1. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Ok, I run Win7 MCE on my HTPC with a Leadtek DVT-1000 Tuner. Recently I upgraded the PVR2 Software and the original remote no longer functions properly, or I should say at all seeing as its the Enter/OK key that doesn't work.

The software added a neat Remote Configuration Wizard which allows you to program buttons for PVR2/MCE/WMP, unfortunately the pretty picture looks NOTHING like my remote! Nor does it let me make many buttons function properly, basically I can still navigate but not "enter" anything.

Anyhow this has led to my decision for an overhaul of the whole system including a One Remote approach and a Wife Friendly Certification process. :lol:

I've shown her what were attempting to do in MCE albeit using my Wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse, and have the minister of finances approval to go remote shopping. :thumbup:

The Logitech Harmony 650 is in our price range.

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/6621

But I have no idea if it will work with our IR Receiver that comes with the DVT-1000 or if it does how well it works with MCE, or at all?

If this is not the way to go then any ideas/thoughts/pointers greatly appreciated. :)

2. cicada

cicada Member

It's a tragedy that Microsoft no longer make the Media Center remote with learning capability. Out of all the junk hardware they make they stop one of the few quality items they've ever produced.

It's was simply the best option to drive media center plus make it learn how to power off your TV and do the volume on your receiver.

I wish I bought a truck load of them a few years back. You could make a killing dribbling them out on ebay :p

If mine ever breaks I will burst into tears.

Now people settle for the Hauppauge MCE Remote. It's about the only true MCE remote available in AUS. It comes with an IR receiver. It cost $10 more than the Microsoft one used to, yet is not backlit, cant learn, and it not as robust.

I have built 3 Media Centers for friends and family now, and have used the Hauppauge remote in each case. They all love the remote and report no problems. It's still a very good remote.

Personally I don't like logitech remotes for mediacenter. They lack the ideal button layouts. I'm sure people will disagree with me on that though.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

Sounds good any links for the Hauppauge here in Aus? I tried there website but could not find it as a "Standalone" product.

I'm still trying for the goal in ONE remote, but after reading through this thread slightly concerned about whether my Leadtek Supplied IR is "standard" or not.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/88357.aspx?PageIndex=2

I'm thinking it is tbh, as the new picture in the software looks like the standard MCE remote, and the Remote that leadtek supplied doesn't look ANYTHING like an MCE remote. :shock:

From what others are saying any of the Dell/HP kits are pretty standard and should work too.

I guess logitech is the lazy option as I want it to control the Samsung TV and Pioneer Receiver as well.

4. junglist

junglist Member

The hp receiver is an exact clone of the microsoft one, you can get them cheap on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HP-MCE-USB-I...e-/320554453093?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=

I am using one with my Hamony One without any issues.

The button layout one my harmony is perfect for xbmc but I'm not sure about other programs.

Also the harmony 650 uses aa batteries, I would definitely shop around for a cheap harmony one instead as it has a rechargeable battery and charging cradle.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

Thankyou sir, I had just worked out that my IR is entirely unsuitable and that will do the trick nicely! :thumbup:

I'm actually bidding on an old 525 currently, as the whole battery bit doesn't bother me too much.

6. dave-

dave- Member

Hope it's cheap, I just received a 525 for ~$50 delivered brand new from logitechshpp. Still waiting on my 2nd Harmony One which was $145 delivered.

Same combo here, working great.

7. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Stringent exams :Paranoid:

Beg/borrow/buy/steal a knock-off Microsoft remote. It doesnt matter how cheap and nasty it is, so long as it has a USB infrared receiver. Place the remote straight into the middle drawer of the hallway stand and use the logitech remote with the USB interface.

My preferred solution these days, with leadtek tuner, is mediaportal software, imitation MCE remote receiver, logitech harmony controlling HTPC, receiver and TV.

8. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

I bought the HP Receiver linked, all going well the 525 will be $40 so not too bad.

Tomorrow I start experimenting with the software from this brilliant post (thanks cicada) while I wait for the goodies to arrive. :)

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12251199&postcount=30

I'm after the same affect basically, but using MCE rather than MediPortal. I only have three devices to control so really thinking this should be doable. Plan is to "default" the 525, then add the TV/Receiver/MCE devices and set them up how I like. If that goes well I'll move onto setting up the "activities".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

10. dave-

dave- Member

11. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

not important but you have peaked my curiosity on why 3, and why one is a 525? :)

12. dave-

dave- Member

LOL good question.

One in the lounge
    One in the family room
    525 in the bedroom (only because the MCE remote didn't glow in the dark hehe)

Then a 525 for the parents and a One/PS3 adapter for a mate. Figured I'd just order them all at once.

13. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

My PS3 remote works really well in MCE7, not AS well in XBMC.

14. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

One step closer today as the HP MCE IR Receiver fell out of the mail. :thumbup:

It came with an IR Emitter cable as well, I gather this is plugged into other units such as set top boxes etc so the MCE remote can control them too?

I guess I won't need it if the Harmony is already setup for my Samsung TV and Pioneer Receiver?

15. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Yeah that'll be for MCE control of foxtel box etc. Harmony will, as the thread title suggests, be capable of ruling them all.

16. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

I'm receiver shopping currently too, do Receivers have the 3.5mm jacks for these? I'm guessing not.

17. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

The only advice I have with the logitech remotes (love it, best thing ever) is to set it up to change the TV channel back to TV prior to turning off. It is real annoying coming back to turn the TV on after using something else and it is still set to that channel (HDMI, AV etc). This little tweak has made this even better for me.

18. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

Awesome, I will no doubt be back for more tips very shortly, as the Harmony One arrived today, wish me luck! :)

19. OP
    OP
    trevor68

trevor68 Member

Back so soon! , its very shiny and nice, but already driving me nuts. To be fair perhaps what I want isnt standard I guess.

My HTPC runs 24/7 as it does many things, besides just TV, therefore I expected this remote to open media center to live tv, and close media center when i hit power off.

Currently its just powering off the whole PC (sleep by the looks actually) then powers it back up.

Googling has had mixed anwsers most of which I just don't understand. Anybody got one here setup this way (MCE On/Off), or point me to a good forum to hang out for a few weeks.

The battle to make this thing wife proof begins in earnest today! :D

20. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

You should be able to program it to do what you want. Go in and review your actions and add what you want to be done, ie on startup send IR command "Live TV" (may need to factor in some kind of delay) and on shut down again send IR command "power toggle" or remove it if you don't want it to shut down.

It can do what you want, you just need to play with it a bit.