1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

One tower, many stations?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by kha-khees, Jul 12, 2018.

1. kha-khees

kha-khees Member

So, Ive been toying with the idea of a main PC stationed in the house, but auxillary input stations in the shed and the loungeroom. The idea being that the main station can be most comfortable for games, working with CAD, lounge is Netflix/others, workshop is to stream music or show plans.

Ive kept an eye open for about a year now but didn't notice a solution yet. My best idea was essentially a chromecast based system, but it's not ideal.

2. darknebula

darknebula Member

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

It's not worth the effort - it's certainly possible (and doubly so if you need more than one terminal in the same room, as shown above) but there's no practical way to extend the monitor outputs more than ~10m without it getting very expensive or requiring additional hardware capable of video decoding on the receiving end.

Just use an old/secondhand/refurb PC in the shed, and consider a dedicated Android TV box for the lounge.

4. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I use a Steam link to play games at other end of house. Wireless keyboard/mouse are laggy as shit so only really works well with a controller. Minimise big picture for desktop access

5. OP
    OP
    kha-khees

kha-khees Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I should clarify: It's not multiple accounts/sessions I want, it's more like Josh with just accessing your PC from the other end of the house. It's beyond normal bluetooth/wireless input range, so I was wondering about an all-in-one solution for i/o and display (still basically chrome/miracast dongle and a keyboard+mouse) so I can see pages/vids i've found while in-depth browsing in the workshop context.

I am keeping in mind the option of a cheap windows machine capable of remote desktop, but I still think that is more resource intensive than I even want.

6. magius

magius Member

remote desktop sounds like the way to go. shouldn't be that resource intensive. There is also remote desktop app available on Android as well, so a cheap android tablet / phone should work too.

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You don't need a windows pc to RDP to a Windows PC - there are clients for every conceivable system. You could get something working on e.g. a Raspberry Pi, or an android tablet with an HDMI output.

I still think it's wasted effort when secondhand PC's cost basically nothing, and it's not like power consumption matters if they're turned off most of the time.

8. Rexzarrax

Rexzarrax New Member

For remoting in i found teamviewerto be one of the easiest to get started with but i can say for sure how secure it is, you could also try with Windows' inbuilt remote desktop but i found it more complicated.

9. THE D

THE D Member

Remote desktop is a load of crap, Steam in home streaming and Nvidia gamestream are much better.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably ok for basic stuff.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Remote Desktop is the right tool for productivity applications, and the wrong tool for gaming. OP did not mention gaming at the "remote" terminals.

12. THE D

THE D Member

Remote desktop has been nothing but a poor performing pain with high latency for a lot of content last I used it (I see it now can support fullscreen video encoding, so maybe that has changed), but Steam or Gamestream are not limited to games and will do a good job on the desktop anyway.

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Steam and gamestream do an awful job of text-heavy productivity work - scrolling an Excel worksheet when it's all encoded as video is torture.

14. Hive

Hive Member

it's not meant for 3D or movies, it's meant for productivity applications / data entry etc.. Latency? Sure if the server is on the other side of the planet or you are over a satelite link, otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. Use the wrong tool for the job and don't act surprised if it's performing like shit.

15. THE D

THE D Member

I am not talking about trying to play games with it, I am talking about how back when I used it even still images gave it a hard time (with a local connection), even so the OP is talking about watching videos and viewing webpages! So a realtime video re-encoding system like Steam would be his best bet!

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

OK, there's your anecdote. Here's mine: I work with RDP all day, every day. Every customer system I connect to, every time I connect to my work PC from home, at latencies from 1ms to 300ms, it works fine. It's incredibly robust on some truly dire connections.

I wouldn't try to watch video on it, that's not what it's for. Just get your phone out of your pocket and use that. What RDP is good at is rendering Windows GUI components.

I'd never try to browse the web using a video-encoded stream. Text with chroma-subsampling is nasty.

Hive likes this.