One-Two-Three-Four-Five Spareribs

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scon, Jan 13, 2012.

1. scon

scon Member

So I bought Mrs Scon a cookbook that I wanted for Christmas - and not long after doing so accidentally called it "My" cookbook - I figure the real present for her is the things that I'll be cooking for her out of it... yes, that's how I'll rationalise it, fantastic!

So I've been looking for a good home-style Chinese cookbook for some time now and finally I've found one. It's The Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo, originally published in 1972 and now unfortunately it's out of print, but I managed to pick it up for $10 from Amazon second hand so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on.

Anyways, the first thing that I've made out of it is simplicity itself. The recipe is called One-Two-Three-Four-Five Spareribs and refers to the amounts of each ingredient that you put in. Super easy to remember and super easy to make. Did I mention it's delicious? It's super rich though so you want it with something simple like some steamed rice and stir fried greens.

One-Two-Three-Four-Five Spareribs.

Serves about 2

500g Spareribs.

One Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or Dry Sherry
    Two Tbsp Dark Soy
    Three Tbsp dark vinegar (i use chinese black vinegar but cider/malt vinegar is fine)
    Four Tbsp Sugar (i use a little less than this)
    Five Tbsp Water

Chop spareribs into 3 pieces each. Add them and all ingredients to a pan on high heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. When the liquid boils, reduce to a light simmer and cover and leave for 45 minutes. Then remove lid and bring to high heat and boil until most liquid has gone and there is a thick glossy glaze (watch it doesn't stick on the pan).

I now cook them in a pressure cooker and reduce the initial simmering time to about 20 minutes, then quickly cool it, remove the lid and reduce.

I'll also include my stir fried asian greens recipe (also from the book)

Stir Fried Chinese Veg

1 bunch Chinese broccoli or bok choi
    3 x slices of ginger (about the size of a 50c coin)
    Splash of soy sauce
    Couple of drops of sesame Oil

Add some water to a wok and bring to boil, add veg until just cooked. Remove from pan and discard water, wipe down pan and put back over high heat with a little bit of vegetable oil.

Fry up a couple of pieces of ginger (say 3 pieces the size of a 50c coin) for about 30 seconds then add the veg back. Splash with some soy sauce and a couple drops of sesame oil, toss and serve.

Serve both of these with some steamed rice.

Sorry it's been awhile since I've put anything up but I've been planning a wedding and have had shitloads of study on. Anyways, enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. timsarg

timsarg Member

my wife is chinese and i quite often get spare ribs and greens with fresh rice cooked for me . Fucking love it

3. Dogo

Dogo Member

what's the quantity of spare ribs to put with that ?

4. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

About 500g pork spare ribs, I'll update the recipe.

5. username_taken

username_taken Member

Reminds me a bit of the Taiwanese dish '3 cup chicken' which is named for a similar reason.

equal measures of sesame oil, chinese rice wine and soy sauce.

slice up chicken thighs and remove as much fat as possible. Make a marinade out of a TB of soy sauce and a TB of baking soda and marinade the chicken for 10 minutes and then wash thoroughly under water. This will tenderize the chicken something crazy ( but the fat can hold a soapt taste from the baking soda ).

heat up a wok with 1.5TB dark sesame oil, add garlic and ginger and fry until aromatic, add chicken, 1.5TB soy, 1.5TB wine and continue to stir fry. When cooked add a handful of thai basil leaves and serve immediately.

6. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

It's a little like three cup chicken except it's more glazy than saucy. We get that up the road all the time - will have to try making it some time.

7. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

You know you're on OCAU when you read that and think "Holy ****, 1.5 terabytes of sesame oil?!"

8. Dogo

Dogo Member

Thanks for the recipe, I tried it last night and it was quite tasty
    I'll be enjoying the leftovers for lunch today

I modded just a very little bit, I had ~800gm spare ribs so I adjusted the measurements, added 3 cloves sliced garlic , a sprinkle of Szechuan pepper and chilli powder

:thumbup:

9. timsarg

timsarg Member

lol thats exactly how i read it

10. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

pressure cooking ribs :(

11. Smegger

Smegger Member

Spare ribs, amigo.

12. Joehax

Joehax Member

I love cooking Chinese style spareribs, this recipe looks awesome and super easy.

Thanks for sharing, will def give it a try!

13. pererasi

pererasi Member

any recommendations on a good pressure cooker?

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

Mine is a Tefal and I'm happy with it.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Marinated spare ribs are one my of most favourite foods. Just finger licking delicious :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

I picked up a Raco pressure cooker at 50% off from Meyer. It was $110 from $220 - also had a $50 gift card which eased the pain.

17. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

amen brother! amen!
    (i'm the 'cook' in our family too)

i've just started the kids on ribs... little miss 4yo cleans them to the bone ;)
    these sound yummy, but i'll probably finish them in the slow cooker... cant see it being a problem

18. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

With these you'd probably want to start them in the slow cooker, then finish traditionally, you want to reduce the liquid to a glaze.

19. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

ahh yes i mis-read your instructions... silly me ;)

20. scrantic

scrantic Member

I can vouch for this process. So tender and moist.