1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

One week in Singapore

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Anakist, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Anakist

Anakist Member

I am tagging along on my Wife's business trip to Singapore next month and I am looking for ideas about what I should do to fill my time.

She is in conferences for most of the week so I want things I can do on my own to keep me occupied.

I am already planning to find a tour of the city for a full or half day, and I think my parents said there was an amazing zoo there as well. I do have some friends to catch up with, but given I don't know what they will be doing I am planning on being self sufficient for Monday through to Thursday.

I also have half an idea to get a nice suit tailored, but it seems that Hong Kong is a much better idea for custom clothes. Is it worth doing it in Singapore anyway since I don't know when I will make it to HK?

What can I not miss out on?

Thanks!

James

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. negatron

negatron Member

Do the zoo and , Jurong Bird Park is a must see if you like the little feathered creatures.

I hear universal studios on Sentosa is ok if your're into the theme park thing.

Jump on an elcheapo tiger/airasia/jetstar to head up to HK for a couple of hundred return and you can sort out your suit and visit another country!

Singapore is a foodies paradise,

Try chilli crab (I like jumbo by the Singapore River), have some fresh Roti Prata in the local markets, Grab some pandan chiffon cake and kway lapis (many layered cake) from Bangawang solo (lots of chains around), freshly coal roasted satay. and of course the unofficial snack food, coffee, kaya toast (awsome egg jam) and eggs from Ya Kun

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. doug81

doug81 Member

toast box for kaya toast (actually a coconut jam, but does contain egg yolk) and kopi tarik!

Orchard rd has some awesome shopping, but not really for the bargains. Same with the Marina Bay Sands shopping complex. Great selections though!

another vote for chilli crab at jumbo,and the zoo is great. make sure to go to the breakfast with the orangutans...

4. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

Since you're from Queensland, I'd say don't bother with the beaches in Singapore. (in case you were considering it)

Yes as mentioned by previous posters, food is excellent in Singapore! And while the chilli crab at Jumbo restaurant (and No Signboard restaurant) is legendary, don't be discouraged to try it at a night market instead.

For example, I had a 3 course chilli crab menu for two at No Signboard Esplanade plus drinks for over S$150, while a year before that I had a big feast including pepper crab and 4 other dishes for four people at Lau Pa Sat market for under S$100.

Also another word of advice, don't bother with the food court at Marina Bay Sands convention centre unless you are really desperate. The prices there are 50% higher than Orchard Rd malls, while quality range from "questionable" to "better-than-USS".

Other night food markets apart from Lau Pa Sat includes Newton centre and Maxwell centre, as well as East Coast seafood centre, which consists more of restaurants than hawker stalls.

Notable dishes apart from chilli/pepper crab are:
    - satay chicken sticks
    - grilled sting-rays
    - char kuay teow (fried flat noodles, like pad see eew in Thailand)

5. OP
    OP
    Anakist

Anakist Member

My Wife has a contact over here who took us to a local food market. We got chicken, mutton and duck sticks with the best satay sauce I have ever had, grilled stingray, crispy fried baby squid and prawn fried in cereal. My god it was all good and only cost S$29 for three people! We then walked for about 5km around Bugis Market, the shopping center near there, then the Theater (Esplanade IIRC). Had some bubble tea which was pretty cool and very tasty (black sago balls as the "bubbles").

We also went to a meal in the Theater and it was average and expensive @ S$50 per person.

Unfortunately my wife transferred her laryngitis to me so this is my third day just sitting in the hotel room out at Nanyang Technological University watching the Olympics and movies :( Planning to check into our Orchard road hotel and check out the strip this arvy, watch the National Day fireworks tonight, the Zoo early tomorrow, out to the marina for some lunch then some more shopping before we fly out at 9pm.

No chilly crab yet. Hopefully I can find a local market and try it tonight or tomorrow, might have to talk to our contact again for another nice food market.

Thanks everyone!

James

6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Eat. And eat. And eat some more :D

Go up on Dempsey Hill - lots of great places. I also had amazing chilli crab at Jumbo Seafood which isn't far from the airport.

7. newynut

newynut Member

Dont bother with the night zoo just keep eating.

The breakfast with Orangs at the zoo is a must.

I can vouch for little india, a small square in front of the Albert court hotel has a Nepalese indian restaurant.
    The best indian we have ever had.

Chilli crab on a junk in one of the river food markets is good. Funny that the crabs come from Queensland as well. Jumbo is good.

Food courts underneath shopping centres are great for lunch with the locals.
    10 tvs blaring at a couple of hundred asians on 10 different stations is scary but needs to be seen and heard. The food is cheap.

I have been in Mauritius, Singapore ,Hong Kong and Bangkok all had Queensland or N.T mudcrabs.

A cruise of the river is nice.
    Orchard Plaza 1st floor is a good place for suits just as good as Hongkong.Whatever price they quote just say comeon I'm not a tourist. real price please.

Also some copy watches.

8. newynut

newynut Member

If your after pc gear, get it here in Aus. If you want to have a look SimLim square is the place to buy.

Price lists here vr-zone.com/pricewatch/pricelists.

9. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Oh, and Clarke Quay - I think I spent every night for a week hanging out down there either just drinking on the steps by the river, or up and down the little restaurants on the other side.

10. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Singapore is awesome for food:

Tai Hwa Pork Noodle, my favourite place to eat period.
    Ananda Bhavan, awesome! Get one of the dosa sets.
    Roland Restaurant, favourite place for chilli crab.
    Boon Tong Kee, favourite place for chicken rice.
    Eng's Char Siu Wanton Mee, favourite place for wanton mee (dry wanton).
    Lion City Frog Porridge, never been here but heard it's awesome.
    Whampoa Fish Head Steamboat, same as above.

For fine dining I can definitely recommend L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon, although it is quite pricey. I took the missus there for Valentines Day this year.

11. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

The only way to have it IMHO, I hate all the other squares and jelly crap they put in there. Just give me the black balls!!!

Good to see you are fitting everything in, nice to hear back from somebody who asks for this type of advice on here about how they are going / went. :thumbup:

fixed :D:Pirate:

12. timsarg

timsarg Member

13. ging

ging Member

Go attack some Hokka Centres!

- Grass Jelly drink in plastic bag with straw :D
    - Mee Goreng!!!
    - Ice Kachang
    - Otak (spicy)
    - Roti Prata

and top it off with a Kopi-O (black coffee) and cigarette (if you smoke) :lol:

14. onrelas

onrelas Member

Just wanted to say this thread is great. I'll be in Singapore later this month for business and had absolutely no idea what to do when I wasn't doing work related things. Now I now the answer to that is EAT!

15. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Digging up an old thread here.

I'll be in Singapore from Monday till Saturday, staying a 5-10 min walk from the bugis mrt station.
    I'm a bit confused with what mrt ticket will be the best value for me, normal pass, tourist pass etc.
    Has anyone been recently that can offer some advice? Thanks :)

16. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Bump anyone?

17. !JonZap!

!JonZap! Member

Recharge your card before every trip (one way or return) by selecting your destination on the ticket machine, no point in getting a tourist ticket IMO.

18. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

Yeah I just buy the regular one-way tickets and grab the refunds on the way out, its so cheap

I like Bugis area, few decent restaurants and not too many stops from the main city