1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OnePlus One announced - $349US 64GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by ~kraven, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ~kraven

~kraven Member

Announced today, the new OnePlus One. Company formed from a mix of people, a lot from Oppo.

Click to view full size!

This looks to be one of the best/well priced handsets.

Color: Silk White/Sandstone Black
    Dimensions: 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm
    Weight: 5.71 ounces (162g)
    Operating System: CyanogenMod 11S based on Android 4.4
    CPU: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor with 2.5GHz Quad-core CPUs
    GPU: Adreno 330, 578MHz
    RAM: 3 GB LP-DDR3 @1866MHz
    Storage: 16/64 GB eMMC 5.0, available capacity varies
    Sensors Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity and Ambient Light
    Battery Capacity: Embedded rechargeable 3100 mAh LiPo battery
    Display: 5.5 inch JDI 1080p Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), 401 PPI
    LTPS IPS with TOL, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Cameras: 13 Megapixel - Sony Exmor IMX 214 6 lenses to avoid distortion and color aberratio, Dual-LED Flash, f/2.0 aperture, 5 Megapixel "Distortion Free" front-facing camera, 4K resolution video with stereo recording, Slow Motion: 720p video at 120fps
    Cell. Frequencies: GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz | WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8 | LTE: Bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/40
    Wifi: Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 b/g/n/ac
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
    NFC: 65T (software card emulation, payment methods and multi-tag support)
    Positioning: Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS, Digital Compass
    Speakers: Built-in Stereo Speakers
    Microphone: Tri-microphone with noise cancellation
    Ports: Data & Charging: Micro USB 2.0, Audio: Jack 3.5mm
    Buttons: Power Button, Volume Rockers, Capacitive / On-screen buttons

16GB = $299
    64GB = $349

Perfect phone for my needs. Much better battery, the capacitive buttons can be switched off for onscreen ones, great specs, and cheap too. No Australian release date. Likely i'll import.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. joshpond

joshpond Member

Was there anything about wireless charging?

3. OP
    OP
    ~kraven

~kraven Member

Not that was said or mentioned. Would be good if it does (not waste the 3 wireless chargers i have now) but not a deal breaker.

4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Let's hope the Built-in Stereo Speakers are ok.

5. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

5MP front facing. The selfie craze will have a second coming for sure.

6. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Native CM11 is pretty appealing for me at least.

Looks to have decent build quality, I think.

7. danyell

danyell Member

Gah, I've been contemplating the Nexus 5 and now... I think this with CM looks pretty enticing at a better price point. Can't wait for reviews.

8. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I need to read up on 4G bands, but it looks like combining this:
    with this, this phone will be supported on all telcos but not the 700MHz network. Any idea on the practical implications of this?

I do like the $50 jump from 16GB to 64GB. Finally a price that reflects the raw cost of memory.

9. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Yep, been following this for the last couple of months, teaser by teaser, getting more and more excited. The only thing I didn't know were the dimensions.
    And now they're out, it's just too big.
    One of their key promises early on was that they were building a 5.5" phone with the body dimensions of a 5" and that the screen:body ratio would be better than the Nexus 5.
    Sadly, they appear to have lied on both of those as this is taller than the Note 3 which is a 5.7" screen. It's disappointing because that was probably the major 'feature' that built alot of the hype and got people excited and following the development, like me.

Everything else is really good however, except for a few minor niceties that are missing such as removable battery, SD storage expansion, LTE band 8 and 28 support, wireless charging, IR blaster, FM radio.
    The price however, is excellent for what you DO get. Their "invite" system for actually getting your hands on a phone phablet however, is still a bit uncertain and has put quite a few people offside about it.

10. Shawry

Shawry Member

Still waiting for a decent small phone to rival the iPhone. All these 5"+ screens are just too big for me :thumbdn:

11. Digit

Digit Member

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact?

12. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

That is correct, this device won't support the new LTE 700 MHz APAC band (band 28). This band will probably be important for future regional and in-building 4G coverage. But then again, next to no devices support this band yet. It's still over six months till this band becomes available to carriers, let alone available to us.

FWIW this device does support LTE 1800, 2100, 2600 and TDD 2300 (Optus).

13. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

This phone is almost as powerful as my laptop and better then my netbook. :(
    Will be a very tempting replacement for my wife's HTC One X when we have money again.

14. TheAvatar

TheAvatar Member

I'm sold on the fact that it has LTE Band 40, stupid Optus rolled out LTE on 2300mhz and only the GS4/Mini support it. Didn't notice that when I upgraded to the Note 3 which does not support that band. Was going to get a Nexus 5 which also does not support that band. Think I have found my next phone.

15. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Oddly enough the clip shows the quality control testing with water spraying on the units. They haven't disclosed an IP rating but perhaps the unit is slightly water sealed (like most high cameras)?

Interesting to see they are using the 13MP Exmor RS Back Side Illuminated sensor. I'm keen to see what kind of image processor they are using as well, potentially giving interesting results.

Apples iPhone for example uses Sony sensors but with their own image processing chip and the results are often seen as a benchmark.

16. OP
    OP
    ~kraven

~kraven Member

Yeah, was a little disappointed in the dimensions myself. That said, i have large hands so the Nexus 5 (i have now) fits comfortably. Hopefully this is not too much larger.

Camera i'm not personally bothered about too much, as long as reasonable. Would assume its better than the Nexus 5 one, so an improvement.

I saw the water on the video... was thinking the same, is it IP67 or is that just some idiots marketing idea but no practical correlation.

Considering where i am (60km from Metro) and most of the networks are still 12-18 months for 4G, it's not a huge concern to me, but would prefer some future proofing.

Interesting marketing gimmick they are doing.... First 100 customers they select have to smash their current phones and they get this one for $1.

17. munka

munka Member

This is my next phone, the girlfriend just broke her Galaxy S3 so i gave her my Nexus 4, the timing is just right. I wanted a 5.5" it is the sweet spot for me and I want 1080p (most compatible with HD videos). Was thinking of getting a note 3 as nothing else coming soon is good, and was hoping a nexus 6 might be a 5.5" but that wont likely be around until October.

For the price there is absolutely no reason not to give it a go. I hope the build quality is ok.

It's a bit of a gimmick but for me I like the fact that it will be somewhat unique and looks good.

18. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

I wonder who will be importing them into Australia? Kogan?

19. munka

munka Member

I'm going to the states in May and again in July so I'll post it there and pick it up there.

Hope fully I get one by the end of May. If not July is acceptable.

20. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I forsee Nexus 4 like shortages and a wait until a steady supply can be achieved. Cos I know I want this phone, and a heck of a lot of other people too.