OnePlus One announced - $349US 64GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by ~kraven, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Seishi

Seishi Member

Has anyone ordered a Oneplus One recently and don't need the nano sim tray and willing to sell to me?

2. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

I've got one if you need it (I think). PM me

3. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

4. _zak

_zak Member

So I'm thinking of buying a Oneplus One now that invites aren't required. I was going to go for the 'official' route and forward it to here from the US, but have noticed that eGlobaL are selling a CM-flashed Chinese version for AU$439+shipping here, which seems pretty cheap. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Chinese version just has one extra LTE band - is there anything else I'm missing that makes it a dealbreaker?

5. Turbine

Turbine Member

I bought one of those from an Ebay seller. Does the job!
    Hammers 4G data heaps faster than my 4G Note2 ever did.

6. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Nope, not in Aus. No real difference.

7. mr sti

mr sti Member

Where's the best place to buy one of these? Preferably from Aus so it has an AU warranty?

Thanks!

8. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

OnePlus doesn't have a presence in Australia, so you won't be able to get one like Apple, Samsung etc that's "Australian stock". Or you mean an importer who will let you send it to an Australian location (and they send it on to repair on your behalf)?

9. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Upgraded mine to Lollipop. Fixes a lot of silly nuances that it had in 4.4.2

Spent the good half of the morning customizing everything to the way that I want. Phone is really snappy now.

A dump of my initial thoughts:
    Phone dialer is better and has easier access to the contact list.
    Gallery is still a heap of shit.
    Theres no quick way to turn on/off the auto brightness in the pull down menu anymore.
    Lollipop colour scheme is a lot nicer.
    Card system for multi tasking (which was nicked off the HP WebOS) makes switching and killing apps a lot easier.
    I hope the camera app doesnt crash and burn like the old one (just did some googling.. apparently the problem might have been a conflict with smartstay+)
    Settings menu - everything is more spread out and it is harder to find things. I feel this is a bit unecessary and they could've amalgamated a lot of the customizing menus together.
    Poweramp shows a graphical equalizer on the lockscreen (really cool!)
    Screencasting added. Can be done with wifi direct so no chromecast needed either!
    On screen keyboard (standard one that comes with android) is improved over the old one and feels more responsive. dunno but I'm finding it easier to swipe without getting words that I didnt want.
    Having the lock screen tell me how long before the oneplus one finishes charging is a nice touch.
    In the wifi settings you can't change the order of the networks it connects to first.
    Smartstay+ app still doesnt work on it. Broken in Cyanogen 11. Appears to be broken in 12 too.
    I wish that if you went to the camera or phone from the lockscreen then it would only unlock those things and return to the lockscreen after you close it.
    Theres no way to change the mobile reception from showing as a bar to a number anymore.
    The bug with google play services sucking the battery dry is gone.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this update. Some niggling annoyances but overall it is good. And even though its a upgrade to a newer version the phone feels just as fast as before. I haven't done a full wipe either.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. samo

samo Member

I've upgraded mine to Lollipop but ever since I have not been able to send mms. Im with Internode (Optus). Seems a lot of people are having the same issue all over the world.

11. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

It feels like profiles dont trigger as accurately as before - I read there was some change in Lollipop to assisted location settings to better conserve battery, so I'm wondering if the polling for locations is reduced in lollipop. Often my profile wont trigger until he second phone unlock.

12. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

upgraded mine to 5.1.1 (12.1)

I had the new 12.0 running with the incremental update but i found that MMS was not working (couldn't send or receive pics, they were just constantly stuck sending), and my microphone problem (people couldn't hear me unless i was on speaker hphone) which I had fixed with playing with the config files had now returned somewhat.

I downloaded the nightly, the incremental update tool, GAPPs minimal and the cyanogen icon pack / camera and boxer...

All flashed fine but now I cant seem to get Haxsync to work for syncing contact photos from facebook. Was working great before, but now no luck.

Any suggestions as to what to use to sync photos for contacts on android? Ive tried a few and none seem to work...

13. isaaus

isaaus Member

I am still on 5.0.2 and today morning chrome decided to start crashing. Restart, uninstall, reupdate. Still keeps crashing.

Anyone else had similar issue ?

Also it doesn't show any more updates for me:confused:

EDIT: Finally got it sorted, uninstalled and restarted phone, then installed from googleplay and it seems to be working ok now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  14. underskore

underskore Member

I have just ordered one of these... Anyone want to give me a quick run down on best way to get it updated and setup once it arrives.

I'm currently using an m8 with the Google now launcher, power amp for music and SwiftKey for typing - should I expect any problems?

(I like the m8 but I'm sick of getting it's power button repaired, and the gf wants a new phone so she gets the joy of getting it fixed this time)

15. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

no thread yet about the oneplus two?

more specs are out now and price sort of confirmed....I might buy one even with the few problems ive had. First gen of the phone, but they did a good job.

Already told the mrs she will be getting my hand me down as an upgrade soon lol :lol:

16. kripz

kripz Member

Hax sync broke along time ago and was removed from store, facebook removed the ability to use their photos.

The only app that works (and requires root) is this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.michaelflisar.socialcontactphotosync

17. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

thinking of getting one of these in 64gig second hand.

Any major issues with these come about after the year of life they have had? any common problems?

19. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

common probs I read about are with the touchscreen.

Me personally have had a microphone problem, but fixed it with a $25 part. Other than that mine has been great since day 1...

20. munka

munka Member

I'm Back!!!!!

Had an OPO, so did the GF. She smashed hers so I got a note 4 on a work contract and gave her mine.

Then after 6 months without my OPO I found a screen on amazon for $38 and thought it was too good to miss. Just repaired it, took a good 2 hours, turned it on.... Nothing... :( Charged it... All good :) phew, had to come here to share my excitement.

So I guess the real test of whether or not it is a flag ship killer was just proven to me. Yes it is. I'm dedicating the note 4 to a life in my Gear VR or as a home theatre PC in a samsung dock. The OPO will go back to being my daily driver. This is because:

The battery life
    Cyanogen
    It has a really good battery life
    It actually fits in my shorts pocket
    And, did I mention it had a really good battery life.

Ah I've missed being able to get through a whole day, and then a whole night, and then come home after 30 hours with 40% charge. Or being able to set my phone to shut up after 11pm, or double tap to wake. I'm nostalgic just thinking about it while I wait for it to charge!