online backup 100gb +

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by chunksoul, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chunksoul

chunksoul Member

Anyone using a cloud backup system

looking at 100gb plus of data As well as system states.

Prefer some vendor verdict here.

It's client driven as they hate tapes / drives and the security issue is less of a concern.

Has to be an Australian operated company for legal reasons and preferably Australian owned.

2. J-C90

J-C90 Member

We use Iron Mountains - Live Vault. We have been using it for a while now, I now sleep well at night ;)

3. ra66it

ra66it Member

Have you needed to do a restore ?

I've wondered about online backup, but I'm currently backing up 1.2tb to tape each night (full backup)

Telstra was busting to help me out, but offered their Tsuite (100G max) saying that their datacentres were all full.

4. J-C90

J-C90 Member

Only single file restores so far - when someone has overwritten or deleted an office document, no problems at all. For full disaster recovery they offer to send over an appliance with all your data on it if you require it(for a $$ of course!).

You basically install their agent on the servers you wish to backup and it runs full differential backups on a schedule you define, ours runs 3 times a day and we have 3 weeks of backups kept. The first full backup takes a while but after that its quite quick. We used to run backups locally to a NAS device, but the device was unreliable and we also had the problem of no offsite backups. Been very happy with Live Vault since we signed up.

We are backing up ~300GB and I think that is on the small side for them?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Do you know if it does file level diffs, or block level?

6. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

i know databanks online service does block level

not sure about iron mountain

Iron mountain seem to be a USA based organisation.

Not keen for the data to be stored overseas for legality reasons.

I know databank have it stored in a place in perth.

7. siooma

siooma New Member

Any security concerns about having your company's data "in the cloud"?

Depends on the nature of the business im sure, i believe the company i work for would be reluctant to use a service like this. Not that we require it but hypothetically...

8. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

they are aware of the risks and are happy with that risk

however an overseas based company has no legal requirement to give the data back.

they can onsell it or such later

9. Mac

Mac Member

Iron Mountain have a document storage facility here in Adelaide - so they'd have to be a registered business here in Australia, thus you'd be enagaging with them under Australian law, not US

So dealing with them should give you no more or less protection than dealing with a locally owned + operated company. I guess. :D

10. J-C90

J-C90 Member

I'm sure when I was originally in discussions with them(Iron Mountain) they said they had Australian based datacenters. I have seen their tape pickup service vans getting around so they must have local infrastructure.

http://www.ironmtn.com.au/digital/server/smb.asp

11. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

okay i hadn't asked them at all but they seem a viable alternative

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Can you give us a reasoning why local backups are good enough or even DFS to a remote site etc?

13. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

it's more of a cost / convenience issue

for around 1000$ a year

they get monitored offsite backup.

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

Cost and Convience won't be beaten by a local solution though. It isn't exactly convienant to have 100GB on the net with Australias broadband.

Cost breakdown of actually finding a company that offers a solution of that sort you can really only do a weekly back up as it will not happen daily. Unless they somehow have a differential/increnmental back up solution which i find hard to believe they will.

Not to mention bandwidth usage as well as retrieval will be hard should. Unless you have a massive business plan i can't expect the excess data to be cheap.

If you need you need to restore a particular file can you? Your internet goes down due to a line fault your data doesn't get backed up nor can you get it back.

I'd look at a local solution with say 8 external HDD. Mon to Thurs, then Fri 1, Fri 2, Fri 3. Gives you a monthly backup solution that is within reach so you can restore from that if you back up the system state or just data and allows for daily backup.

15. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

that requires someone swapping storing and taking offsite said hard drive.

they are happy to pay the $ to not have someone organise that.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

Use an offsite tape company......work with them to implement the system and then they come in daily take the tape and swap it out......

17. OP
    OP
    chunksoul

chunksoul Member

they have offsite tape backup now

and don't want the hassle so they have asked me to organise cloud backup.

It's now how i would do it but they have specifically asked for it.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

Well good luck and post back with what you decide to go with, will be interesting to see how it goes.

19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OP trust Iron Mountain, guess which company holds lots of land titles and business reocrds. We use IM for off site tape management, they pick up and drop off a tape every business day. They will delivery in 30 minute if required at a price. Cloud backup as others have mention will eat up any broadband quota unless on a good business plan. I pretty sure IM has a datacentre in Melbourne.

20. shadowman

shadowman Member

Can you recommend a company that does this (not Recall, my directors are anti-Recall for some reason).

Currently we have a Grandfather-Father-Son full backup to 1.2TB tapes, which involves myself changing the tape every day. The tapes are kept in a fireproof safe. The issue with this is, if the building collapses then a) the safe isn't shock resistant and b) it could take days/weeks/months to access the backup tapes.

I've considered taking them home every night, again that relies on my (crappy) memory and having an Outlook task to remind me every day, plus some days I'm out of the office all day, so there also has to be a backup person. Someone else could also take them home, but again, reliability, and a large chance for human error.

So I'm not happy about 'anyone' taking the tapes home and not happy about leaving them in the safe either. We've considered an offsite solutions but the costs are overwhelming. We do backup our full server (around 480GB), we could consider incrementals (currently investigating sites mentioned in this thread) but no-one seems to be very competitive backuping up this much data.

Any suggestions?