1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Air Water Cooled Chassis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Master__09, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Master__09

Master__09 Member

AEROCOOL STRIKE X AIR - WATER COOLED OPEN CHASSIS

[​IMG]

Updated this post to see from start to finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    Master__09

Master__09 Member

No more ugly mesh. Cut out the fan brackets and replaced the mesh with plexi-glass.
    This was just a mock up, will cut another sheet properly later and get it fitted and take some prettier photos but the build is still progressing.

[​IMG]

Still to come: Watercooled RX480s...

3. Glacy

Glacy Member

I had a Strike-X Air. It didn't fit anywhere and it broke within a year.

4. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Looks awesome. I'd never be able to keep it clean though, way too much dust in my gaming environment.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Didn't think a Strike X Air could look so good, well done, great work.

The only thing is in pic 12 it looks like the top portion is bent down??

6. OP
    OP
    Master__09

Master__09 Member

Yes, that is a design flaw with the case. Happens to all of them because the prop is on the left hand side, there is nothing stopping the other side from drooping.

I will either make a second prop or hopefully when the plexiglass is fitted properly it will gain enough structural integrity to stand up straight.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah a bit of a strange one that they would allow that off the production line.....it's quite a droop, from the picture. But shouldn't be too hard to fix up ith a black metal bracket or similar.

8. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Before you fit the plexiglass you could first add a metal frame insert to add rigidity to the whole top section. Or maybe make a metal X and fit that beneath the plexiglass, that would give it corner-to-corner rigidity. Or get someone to 3D print you one from thick plastic.

9. OP
    OP
    Master__09

Master__09 Member

Bit of an update. I finally found a used R9 290 waterblock on ebay from Latvia so I ordered it and had it shipped all the way here to Australia before pulling it completely apart and cleaned all the galleries and re-greased the o-rings before putting it back together and fitting it up to my gpu.

I decided to go with Primo UV pink dye after being disappointed in the brightness of Mayhems UV Clear/Bright Blue and I'm fairly happy with the result.

I also cut up a plexiglass panel using an angle grinder (I really need to buy a dremel) just to mock up the fit. I will take the cover to a professional that can cut a piece more accurately and work out a mounting system that will also reinforce the lid to stop it from drooping.

Now I just need to get more cable extensions and tidy up some wires and call it a day. Maybe in the future I will water cool the mosfets as they are now the hottest part of the system but I think I'll just wait for Ryzen and start fresh with a new system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]