Open-source product render software recommendations

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by jars121, Jan 19, 2018.

1. jars121

jars121 Member

Morning,

I'm looking to develop a set of photorealistic product renders, and would like to use open-source software if possible. A cursory search has suggested Blender is a good option, but I'd be keen to hear from others regarding their experiences. I've played with Blender in the past, and found it to have a pretty steep learning curve.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. Tinian

Tinian Member

I've used 3Ds Max, Blender, Maya and all are extremely capable. There are plenty of tutorials and workflows available on forums and youtube to assist. I've found that the learning curve is step regardless because of the initial unfamiliarity. Dive in and you'll find it comes to you quickly regardless of product.

3. OP
    OP
    jars121

jars121 Member

Thanks Tinian. I think I'll dive head on in to Blender over the weekend and follow tutorials as required.

4. Varg

Varg Member

Definitely Blender. It's incredible for an open source project and the built in renderer is amazing these days.

5. OP
    OP
    jars121

jars121 Member

So I ended up diving head first into Blender after making this post, and was really happy with some of the initial renders I was able to make. The useability is a bit clunky at first, but once you're aware of some of the nuances it's quite easy to use. I agree, the Cycles renderer is an amazing piece of kit for a completely open-source project.