1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

OpenSolaris/Solaris 11 Express/ESXi : BYO Home NAS for Media and backup images etc

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by davros123, Dec 14, 2009.

1. gea

gea Member

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Whoa. I'm staggered that this thread is still going, I remember ditching Solaris back in 2012 after struggling with ZFS. I was a bit of a noob back then though, might have been me. That said, I'm OpenMediaVault all the way these days :) Truenas looks good for the BSD folks as well.

3. gea

gea Member

Solaris 11.4 is still available with commercial support at least until 2034. In all my tests Solaris with native ZFS was always the fastest ZFS server. While you can download for free for testing, updates are no longer available for free what makes it useless for noncommercial home use.

The free Solaris forks around Illumos (Dilos, NexentaStor, OmniOS, OpenIndiana, SmartOS etc) offer most of the Solaris unique features like the ZFS/kernelbased SMB/NFS server, Comstar (FC/iSCSI) or network virtualisation based on Open-ZFS, all included and maintained by the OS provider and not as a third party offer like SAMBA. With OmniOS you even have a free and very robust minimalistic enterprise class OS mainly for storage use with a stable and a long term stable (with often be-weekly security/bugfixes) based on a repository per OS release. A commercial paid support is available just like with Oracle and Solaris.

No need to switch to BSD or Linux (they have their advantages and use cases as well)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Yep. It's just so F'ing solid though. Why would you go any where else? Hit this with an axe and it still keeps serving files with all the bits in the right places.
    I want a file server - not some tarted up bitch with all the pretty crap and heaps of baggage. I have esxi - if I want to run Jenkins, Nextcloud, Windows servers etc I'll just spin up a VM.

[​IMG]

5. mike-s

mike-s Member

I had OpenIndiana for quite a while on my file server, primarily because of ZFS suppoort. I installed napp-it due to a lack of other
    interfaces that i was aware of, but always found it's interfaces excessively clunky for even basic tasks.

I persisted with it for quite a while and then decided one day to abandon it and just installed FreeNAS instead and have linux on
    a NUC for mucking around with the platform.

Thus far It has been a good 3 or 4 years since i ditched OpenIndiana. I might install it or another derivitive again one day, but today is not that day

6. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

my 24x2Tb is getting closer to EOL; has less than 2Tb free, and 5 or so degraded drives

I will have to look seriously within the year to move to higher capacity drives -- any suggestions on efficient up/sidegrades (more capacity, less drives) would be welcome

I grabbed a 4Tb external Seagate for Chia (sort of) and ended up putting it in the server in a slot of one of the degraded drives
    Is there any way (I have forgotten a heap knowledge about zfs for not touching it in ages) I can add this single drive as a directory inside my large pool (and/or share)?

7. gea

gea Member

New default napp-it is v 21.06 for all releases incl. free
    Free is ok for commercial use and without a capacity limit but without support or updates to dev/support releases or PRO addons

Axims, davros123 and GoofyHSK like this.
  8. Axims

Axims Member

How's the new server build progressing Davros? This post inspired me back in 2011. Keen to hear about updates :p

9. OP
    OP
    davros123

davros123 Member

Hey Axims. She's sweet ! Came together with no issues at all. Absolutely recommended!
    Glad I took the EPYC 7302p Rome when I did as I got it for less than it sells for now - and the Milan's are near impossible to find.

Running LSI SAS3008's for the drives in the zfs pool.
    Intel 82599 10G fiber
    6 x Micron 16GB DDR4 RDIMM 3200MHz CL22 1Rx4 ECC Registered
    2x Micron 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 RDIMM 3200MHz CL22 1Rx4 ECC Registered
    Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 92mm AMD TR4/SP3 CPU Cooler

2021-09-04_17-58-57.png
    2021-09-04_18-06-05.png

10. gea

gea Member

davros123 likes this.
  11. gea

gea Member