OpenTTD 1.0 is released - shall we?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Matex, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Matex

Matex Member

Lets celebrate the release of OpenTTD 1.0 with a nice long game, shall we?

Server IP will be 116.240.200.26, password being OCAUOpenTTD and it will be up and running tonight at 8pm, starting at 1950, going all the way to 2050. It should take a week or so to finish.

We can have up to 255 players, but only 15 companies (game restriction, not server restriction). So the first 15 companies/OCAU users to post in this thread get to play, and other players can apply to join those companies.

Rules (mainly lifted from the OpenTTD wiki):

Don't intentionally block access to industries, large areas of the map or areas that another player is building in. If you find another player is building where you wanted to create tracks or roads of your own do not try to hinder their build progress, but build around, over or under it. If they have built it in such a way that this is not possible, and changing it would not be unreasonably expensive, you can politely request that they make a modification. Also massive land buying is not wanted.
    Buying exclusive transport rights in an town in which you do not have any stakes also counts as blocking access to industries and is also frowned upon.

Don't deliberately sabotage your opponents vehicles. In OpenTTD this amounts to deliberately building level crossings where your opponents are running road vehicles and attempting to destroy them with trains. Aside from being unpleasant it will damage your own ratings if you have stations nearby. Another way of sabotage is parking road vehicles in roads that are being used by other companies for the sole purpose of blocking their vehicles.

Don't cheat to advance yourself within the game. Joining an company operated by someone else or starting another company to transfer money to your own company is unacceptable behaviour, unless the originally owning player made it clear that he or she is leaving the game, has no intentions to return and offers themself or their resources to anyone else who wants them.
    If you discover an exploit which creates wealth, gives an unfair advantage against other players or prevents the normal operation of the game server report it to the OpenTTD developers so the vulnerability can be closed.

Don't abuse bugs or exploits because this only harms OpenTTD gameplay and destroys the gameplay of other people.

Chat system When using the chat system avoid the use of inappropriately gruesome or hideous subjects; remarks which are sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive or excessively obscene vulgar language. Also do not discuss the use or practice of any illegal activity or provide links to sites that contain any of the aforementioned. Remember that OpenTTD games are played by people of all ages.

High levels of competition are allowed, and encouraged If you think you can build a better rail service than your opponent transporting from the same oil field to the oil refinery, go for it. :thumbup:

Don't take revenge. If other people buy all land around your stations or cut you off with rails, road or with the buy land tools do not get "revenge" by blocking their stations or any of the above. This makes you one of them and the server administrator may not be able to differentiate between who started it and may decide to warn, kick or ban both you and the other player who originally started it.

Flattening land - pointless, I'm taking 30 minute state backups of the game, so if you flatten everything, I'll just ban you and restore from backup.

Most of all, have fun.

---

I recommend telling me what your company name is, and who will be in it. Coop is great and your company will succeed with a good coop team that can work for more hours of the day.

ALWAYS SET A PASSWORD ON YOUR COMPANY - I absolutely cannot stress this enough. So many times in OpenTTD, someones hard work of multiple days is ruined because they didn't set a password. Eventually a griefer will join and ruin your company.

---

If someone has bought exclusive transport rights to cover all your stations, and your revenues are nil, there are a few things you can do if you want to survive (the alternative is to just quit).

Stop all your vehicles. Even when they are loading/unloading they incurr a running cost. Stopped vehicles have no ongoing cost.

Pay off any bank debt. You pay loan interest each year and over time it can be hefty. Pay off what you can to minimize costs.

Do not construct anything. What resources you have are precious. The more money you have the longer you can survive.

Talk to the person with exclusive transport rights and ask them politely to not renew them. If the person has millions, they CAN outlast you if they really want to. Your best bet is to bargain with them.

If anyone griefs, PM me and I'll sort it out

--

Also finally, if anyone has any comments, concerns, changes to the rules they want, etc etc, post in here and hopefully we can do it before 8pm tonight :)

Players:
    Matex (Company: Hartford Group)
    Doso (Company: ???)
    ewok85 (Company: ???)
    BurningFeetMan (Company: ???)
    Teggeh (Company: No u a towel)
    fnp (Company: ???)
    FatBoyNotSoSlim (Company: Warfuric Holdings)
    r8response (Company: Left Right Out Pty Ltd)
    choppa (Company: ???)
    spilla2003 (Company: ???)

People wanting to join other companies:
    Tartarus
    DavyG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Doso

Doso Member

ok i'm in last time we did this on OCAU I lost 3 days of my life

3. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Oh hell yes :)

Lets get a coop company going and build a nice big railroad system. I usually cheat and get a decent system of buses, trains and airports setup to get serious money flowing in then build a series of interconnected train systems to move freight and passengers from one end of the map to another.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I shall sign up tonight. :)

5. Teggeh

Teggeh (Banned or Deleted)

I'm in.

Totally.

6. fnp

fnp Member

I'm in too. (10 char)

7. ewok85

ewok85 Member

If we have any issues I'd be happy to provide a good server (quad core, 8gb memory, 60mbit connection) for OCAU to use :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Matex

Matex Member

Should be all good, the server I'm hosting on isn't a dodgy fly by night PC in my garage.

It's a server I have at iPrimus/AAPT in Melb on a gbit link :thumbup:

But yeah, just incase something random does happen (like terrywrists kill AAPT or whatever), it's good to have a backup. :thumbup:

9. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Excellent :D Having a good server makes a world of difference

10. OP
    OP
    Matex

Matex Member

Oh yeah, absolutely. Nothing worse than a laggy OpenTTD server.

11. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I've been playing a few open sim games (civ3/4) recently, and I was looking at getting into OpenTTD at some time, might aswell start now.

Mind you, I WILL be an absolute noob, as I don't know what I'm doing.

If anyone can direct me to some helpful resources, or would let me join their company (or somesuch) I'd love to learn, and loose some days. :)

12. fnp

fnp Member

What game settings will we be using? Map size, industry density, and so forth.

13. r8response

r8response Member

I'll take a shot.

Company: Left Right Out Pty. Ltd. :D

14. OP
    OP
    Matex

Matex Member

FayBoyNotSoSlim - check out http://wiki.openttd.org :thumbup: should answer all your questions.

fnp, open to suggestion.

How about 512x512, temperate, hilly, average towns, average industries? Largely default I know, but it's fun. And one large city on the coast somewhere which can be the capital city.

What are peoples thoughts on planes? I don't really like having them because once you reach Concorde, it's basically sandbox mode.

15. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

:Paranoid: I'm out of my league.
    Sign me up as 'Warfuric Holdings'. :p

16. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

Ah nice! Finally 1.0!

Has IPv6 support too - funky :) Too bad I don't know too many other people who have IPv6.

17. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Got an issue with that? :p

I usually just use trains, planes are nice to give you a good bankroll, and they have the added effect of really souping up town population increase so you get massive cities popping up.

Will this have trams?

18. OP
    OP
    Matex

Matex Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  19. goodlet

goodlet Member

Can we just view the game? Not interact? Is there a viewer option?

20. Tartarus

Tartarus Member

Count me in. :)
    Happy to join someone else's corp and get some mentoring/advice from them. Only had a few hours experience with this game.