1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Operation: Stolen School PC Tart Up.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Glock, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Glock

Glock Member

Hi.

Bit of a newbie on these forums, but I'm starting to recognise some avatars and such, just like to say - it's a nice place you've got going guys.

Anywho, I was getting bored (recently finished school) the other day, so I decided, now was a good time to fix up an old PC that I'd pieced together the last time my Dad's school had thrown out all their PCs.

So, even though it's a pretty good desktop effort - a P3 900 Coppermine, 384mb of 133SD, and 15gig of combined storage - it's got the suckiest videocard and case ever. EVER.

So, while I can't do so much (and aren't really worried) about the videocard (I don't have money, like at all.) I decided, that I CAN fix up the case on the cheap.

So, basically what I've done so far is:

.Puttied up a 'spare' light fitting, and the case badge hole
    .Changed the position of the power button, and removed the (I later found out, unplugged) 'standby' button.
    .Mounted the HDD and Power lights next to the old Standby and Reset buttons.
    .Took some photos (figured if I wanted to log this, I should probably get some toward the beginning, seeing as I don't have any of the 'stock' 'pooter)
    .Discovered my freshly formatted 'net PC doesn't (yet) have a program installed capable of toying with big photos (to crop them to get them onto Photobucket).. So no photos.. yet. Give it a day.
    .Puttied up the old HDD and Power light fittings.

Okay. So, what do you guys think? I've got a pretty good idea of where I want to go with the case (it'll probably all make more sense once I get some images on here) but I'd really like suggestions as to colour, and what to do with the old power button.

I was thinking a homemade (rotary knob controlled) fan controller? But it'd be a bit cramped.

Also, so far I've been using some really ancient "plastic wood" to putty stuff - hardly optimum, but it does the job well enough (for free at least). But now I've run out - so, given the size of the gaps I'm trying to close etc. (again, wait for the piccies) what would you guys recommend - I won't need much of whatever it is, and something easy to use (as in, minimum prep / finishing esp. of tools) would be nice. Above all though, cheap is good.
    So, recommendations?

2. dasicvtec

dasicvtec Member

DIDNT HAPPEN WITHOUT PICS!!!

seriously, good effort - got any pics ?

3. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Okay, as promised, here's the pics - they're a little dated now (I've since puttied the other light fittings, and put a bit more in the middle strip)

One thing I forgot - how much is it likely to be for an 80mm holesaw?
    Because I want an 80mm hole near the bottom of the fascia, as it would fit nicely with the existing curves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

quality holesaw = more then the cost of your complete computer combined.

cheap adjustable holesaw which will work just fine = $12

5. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Yeah - considering I've not yet payed a cent for it. :D

Adjustable? How do you mean? I have what is essentially a scoring-blade-on-a-stick kinda thing here, but I don't think it'd agree with the plastic.
    Could you get me a picture or something to better explain what I should be looking for?

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

scoring blade on a stick it is, wont be good for metal, but will eat plastic just fine.

cut slow so it doesnt melt.

7. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Hmm, I've got a drill press so I'd probably be using that. I don't think it's variable speed though - would it be enough to simply lower the bit slowly? The fascia is ABS plastic - pretty vulnerable to heat right?

8. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

You stole a PC from your school? Wow, you're cool.

9. kamehameha

kamehameha Member

Trying to be sarcastic over the internet? Wow, you're cool.

Read the post and don't be a smart ass. He bin scabbed it. Good on him I say!

Good luck mate.

10. christof

christof Member

bin scabbing FTW!!!

LOL

what windows is it running?

11. MrSmith

MrSmith Member

I didn't feel like reading, too much writing.. I just read the title and looked at the pictures :thumbup:

12. ener

ener Member

whats wrong mrsmith, you been through a bad breakup or something? or are you always a that way...
    slap a can of paint to it, and polish it and you'll be sweet

13. iCrunk

iCrunk Member

looks like windows 98 to me :p

14. MiltonTheGoat

MiltonTheGoat Member

The first picture appears to have a (very blurred) Windows 2000 Professional version label thinger on the desktop.

15. ener

ener Member

haha, i was cleaning out an office for some people, and found an UNOPENED Version of windows 95 (or was it 98 fuck i dont remember) but when i go take the shit away for em im gonna snag it :D)

16. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Wow. My thread seems to have been hijacked.
    Okay, let's round up some questions;

I bin scabbed it yes - but it was with the full knowledge and permission of the techy at the college. And it wasn't like I just picked one up either, I got the best bits from all the various PCs - even found a music-rooms soundcard - damn good quality, unfortunately it only has drivers for 95/98... Which comes to the next question, yes it runs 2000, a highly tweaked SP4 pro install, that goes nicely on the 384mb.

Damn, I wish I had found an MX440... Mine's got an 8mb Intel chip in it - it's an AGP card, but it uses the same GPU as integrated boards, so basically it blows.

Okay, PROGRESS REPORT!

I just cut the hole in the fascia, noisey process, but it worked fine.
    However, I now need to cut through the metal of the case (it doesn't HAVE fan mounts... at all.) Jigsaw? Any task-specific tips?

I'm also still on the look out for;

- What to do with the old power button.
    - A good filler for the remaining holes (I'm all out of 'plastic wood')
    - A colour. A friend recommended pearl white, with black highlights. Sounds good, but it would be a lot of work. Comments?

Here's the pic.

[​IMG]

17. ener

ener Member

bondo, about 20$ from supercheap for 500G will last you ages
    colour, white sounds good, maybe white inside too?

18. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Why inside? I'm not gonna put in a window, and to be honest, the case is still pretty dirty inside (the PCs had been out in the rain for a few days - testament to the stability of PC Hardware).

Cool. What's involved in using that stuff?

Ohh, and another thing - where might I find PVC offcuts? I'm thinking about whacking a bit in between the fascia and the case itself (to sleeve the fan) as they sit about 1.5-2 inches apart.

19. Hooblah

Hooblah Member

wait...its been in the rain?....

20. blancmange

blancmange Member

with most computer componentry, if there is no current flowing through the circuits, there is nothing to short / break it...

as long as the water has dried up everywhere, and no rusting occurs... then the components should be fine...

e.g. my flash drive has been through the was at least 50 times :p and still works like its brand new...