1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on MediaCentre PC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by shortielah, Oct 22, 2010.

1. shortielah

shortielah Member

So basically I'm looking at building myself a server/media centre (and the girlfriend approves of this idea for once).
    So I figured instead of building a media centre I would build myself a new computer and use my current one as a media centre.

Gigabyte EP45 (something)
    Intel Q6600
    4GB Corsair Ram (can't remember exact specs)
    Sapphire HD4870

And misc other specs.
    My question is, would that be enough to watch and record at the same time, or to record 2 channels and watch a blu-ray at the same time?

The reason i say it will be a server aswell is because it will also run PS3Server for my two Sonys.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. mrayner

mrayner Member

It'll be more than enough, the video card does nearly all the work processing bluray and HD content these days.
    Just need plenty of HD space and a decent dual tuner..

FYI mine is only dual core and less ram... no problem whatsoever... (WIN7 Media Centre)

3. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

Im currently building one (waiting on case from work), and from what my work colleagues say that Nvidia graphics cards are far greater then ATI ones, So something like a GT240 would be better (on board sound for hdmi), quieter and cooler also use less power.

Also WD Greens would be a great addition since they are cool and are very quiet

What mine has:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L
    3GB DD2 667MHZ/800Mhz
    Nvidia GT240
    WD Green 500GB
    Samsung DVD-RW
    Vantec Ion2 460W
    Ubuntu 10.10

My should be more then enough to play anything on a 100mhz samsung led

4. OP
    OP
    shortielah

shortielah Member

Yeah but I figured if I'm building a new PC ill upgrade from a 4870 so I'm not worried about it too much.
    As for sound I have a X-Fi Fatal1ty or whatever it is (the best one without paying $300 for the faceplate lol), and it's digital out to a 1625w Onkyo amp so :D.

Yeah I don't know what Tuner I'll get yet but I'll worry about that when I get this new computer first. And I'll probably end up getting some 3tb greens when they finally come out.

5. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

6. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

If you want an awesome tv turner go for an Hauppauge HVR2200, this would have to be the one i sell the most of in the media centers i sell. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=553_554&products_id=6793

7. samo

samo Member

8. cicada

cicada Member

Yep I've got two media center PCs in the house both with HVR2200s.

I've built another 3 HTPCs for friends and family and used the same tuner. Performance is extremely good and never had a single issue.

Still it's pricey with the two wasted analogue tuners on there. Wish they'd come out with a package that ditched the analogue tuners and threw in the hauppauge remote instead.

Also on video cards, I thought the new ATI cards were the go now due to their support for HD sound over HDMI?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

Still alot of problems with the ATI cards functions with media centers. Their is a new support that they brought out, and it fails since Cyberlink and ATI can't not get it to work.

10. cicada

cicada Member

Ahh ok.
    I'm still using nVidia myself as I've always had very good luck with their cards/drivers over the years, and my setup does not do HD audio yet.

11. Mystro1

Mystro1 Member

I have no problems with my 4550 in my HTPC doing audio over HDMI... all works fine for me... only thing i could whinge about is the video card dosnt scale up to the size of the screen correctly so when i reinstall drivers or whipe the PC you have to manually scale the image out to the edges of the screen to get rid of the black border.

Other than that its fine.

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Yup you will want a 5XXX series card if you want to bitstream the Bluray type DTS-MA audio to your receiver

4XXX series cards and Nvidia cards won't do DTS-MA or TrueHD but will do DTS/AC3

(apparently the integrated GPUS on intel chips will do that to - but confirm before relying on that).

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

No need to buy HVR2200 any more..

I've basically swap mine out for some very cheap dual pci cards (Digital now / Kworld 160-2T / DTV2000DS) instead that work excpetionally well under win 7... between $55-$65 each...

got a pair in quad tuner configuration, about $120 for the pair..