1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions - best sports lens for Nikon?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by mugget, Nov 15, 2009.

1. mugget

mugget Member

hey all,

so i just thought i'd put this out there - what is the best sports lens for Nikon?

i have a 1DMkII with a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L right now, but am thinking of changing to Nikon so i can swap lenses with a buddy.

now i am just about in love with the 100-400mm lens. :D
    great lens - so sharp and very fast focusing as well. i cannot fault it, and ideally would just keep it with the 1D for sports stuff...

now i have been looking at the equivalent Nikon lens which seems to be the 80-400mm VR? i'm trying to read up, but from what i have seen so far it looks like the lens just doesn't focus fast? and also does not focus through zooming (needs to be refocused after any zoom changes.)

can anyone comment on this? or does anyone here shoot sports with Nikon? what would you recommend.

also i am looking to keep around the same price range as my current lens, so about $2,500. (so no suggestions on 400mm f2.8, thanks :p ) also i would be using something like a D300 if i went to Nikon. i like the 1D but it's just so huge and carrying around for a couple of days gets real tiring...

cheers :)

2. michael_

michael_ Member

what sport?

3. MCWB

MCWB Member

Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 with 1.4x TC is around that sort of money and pretty flexible. The new 70-200 VRII with supernanocrystalorgsmatronBBQ coatings is supposed to be very nice and around that sort of cash, but it's a different kettle of fish!

4. baar01

baar01 Member

Just sell your 1DMkII and get a 7D if you want a lighter body. You don't need to waste money on changing brands to get that. :p

5. SyN

SyN Member

yeah 7D is a great small sports camera
    but the OP also wants to be able to swap lens with a buddy hence the nikon
    the 80-400 may not be that suitable for fast action as its slow focusing (no AF-S). 70-200 + TC will have great results, but still a bit short if you use the 1.4x. or a 300mm f/4 + 1.4TC (equiv to 420 f/5.6). for serious pro gear youll have to extend your budget, as you said for a 400 2.8 etc

6. FB008

FB008 Member

70-200 f/2.8 or the 200-400 f/4

7. SyN

SyN Member

yeah a $7000 lens would be nice!

8. FB008

FB008 Member

well he did ask for the best?

may i also suggest the 300mm f/2.8

9. SyN

SyN Member

yes but within the budget

10. Nafe

Nafe Member

Still waiting to hear what sport is actually being shot....

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

If you are looking to cover a similar range on a similar format then checkout the Sigma 120-400/4.5-5.6 OS HSM.

Good quick AF, Optical Stabilisation, good built quality. Some say its better than the 100-400L but I haven't tested it.

Nikkor 80-400 isn't AF-S so I wouldn't recommend it for sports.

12. baar01

baar01 Member

If you are already happy with the 100-400L it seems like a lot of effort for the chance to occasionally borrow a friends lens. What lenses will have on offer and how often will you be able to use them?

13. killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Get the 7D and get your friend to move over to Canon :thumbup:

14. michael_

michael_ Member

as nathan said, unless we know the sport i wouldnt even bother answering these questions, and if you want to move to other sports again same applies.

15. OP
    OP
    mugget

mugget Member

thanks for all the replies.
    sorry for my late reply here... what type of sport? simple answer is motorsports.
    check my Flickr for the type of stuff i am currently doing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugget

so basically what you see there... mostly bikes at races/trackdays and also MotoGP, drag racing and other random stuff like rally just for something different.

thanks for the tip on Sigma 120-400mm... i will check that out...

it may be alot of effort to switch to Nikon, just investigating things at this point and needed a hand since the entire Nikon lineup just confuses me. :p
    in all honesty i would rather stick with what i have since i know it is good. but i've gotta check the options.

(also, it looks like i will actually be going into business with my Nikon fanboy further down the track, so that was another reason to go Nikon as he could make use of any lenses that i had, which would be very handy. but now i am thinking that it may be fine for a business to use Nikon alongside Canon? i don't know, i think that's a subject for a whole other thread...)

16. Nafe

Nafe Member

If it were me, I would go with MCWB's suggestion.

With regards to shooting canon alongside nikon - it really doesn't matter too much, BUT you will find variations in the way the cameras handle colours etc, and having spare lenses to use is always going to be handy unless you own a good stockpile of Canon gear already. Something to consider if it's going to be a business and the cameras are mission critical hardware.

17. OP
    OP
    mugget

mugget Member

f2.8 would be nice to have as well... but i always tend to shy away from teleconverters... never tried one myself but i always hear mixed things. maybe i'll hire one... i'm going to hire a bit of different gear to get more of a feel for things.

the 400mm reach is definitely a must for me. i only shoot as a spectator so definitely need as much reach as possible.

18. Nafe

Nafe Member

Can't speak for Nikon ones, but I have used my Canon 1,4 constantly for the last few years on my 70-200 F4L, 2.8IS, and 300 F4L, as well as occasionally with a borrowed/rented 400 2.8. I generally carry the 70-200 2.8 and my 300 F4 + 1.4 when I am trackside. No issues with AF or image quality. Is it a perfect combo? No. But it does the job for my limited budget.

19. MCWB

MCWB Member

The reason you hear mixed things is that 2x TCs cost you a lot in terms of IQ and 1.4x don't! :p With a 1.4x TC, pretty much all you lose is a stop of light. The 120-300 f/2.8 + 1.4x TC is the poor man's AF-S 200-400 f/4 VR. :D

20. OP
    OP
    mugget

mugget Member

okay, makes sense that 1.4x TC would give better results. cheers for the tips.