Opinions on Dell 2709 for colour work?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by alexc, Sep 23, 2008.

1. alexc

alexc Member

Hey,

I'm thinking I'm going to get the Dell 2709.

Anyone on here got any acutal experience with one for colour work?

I looked at the older 2707 at the Dell kiosk at Knox today, and it looked good - same panel I think. But impossible to tell in a mall.

But I did think the extra inches over the 24" make it well worth while :)

So I think the 27" it is. It's either that or an Apple display. Which is Dell S-PVA vs Apple S-IPS. But impossible to tell from Googling is either is better.

It's hard to choose. But Apple's sucky warranty and no bad-pixel warranty turn me off.

So thoughts ont he 27" Dell anyone?

Thanks, Al

2. dlcx

dlcx Member

S-IPS panels are superior to S-PVA for colour work.

I have a Dell 24" S-PVA (2408WFP) and it's not too bad, but I'd love to have an S-IPS panel.
    Other really good options are NEC syncmaster screens, but they are pretty expensive (however they are on-par if not better than some Eizo displays)

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I've heard it's got excellent colour representation... Some people don't like the pixel pitch though.

4. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

I got the 'older' 2707FPW, i love it :thumbup:

Couldn't pass it up at $799 delivered!!! Also got a 20" 2005fpw, but the 2707 is noticably better!

5. cideway

cideway Member

The NECs would have to be good, i use a Eizo at work and it is fucking awesome.

6. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Well.. my Apple dealer says they'll let me check a 23" for dead pixels before I hand over the cash...

So I think I'll do that...

Heck I use the thing for 12 hours a day, it's the single biggest item of technology I use - no point skimping :)

Al

7. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Does anyone publish a list of what monitors render colours well? My work one is a Dell 2007 FPb, and the colours on this are completely different (in a good way) to the laptop I use at home..

8. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Not that I know of, there is a Dell wiki which will tell you which are 8bit and which are 6-bit tn.

But it's bloody hard to find reviews - they are all so subjective.

It's hard to choose - it's all so relative when you work in isolation, you sort of get used to what you have. But my current screen is absolute bollocks - it's dreadfull - anything but 100% viewing straight on and the sides go purple.. LOL :D (actually it's a grundig TV I'm using as a stop gap...) So I can never get used that that.

But the 24" Dells are really nice, if a bit plasticy. And if you are a designer and have used the Apple stuff the then it matters. Normal people dont understand.. but Apple lovers get the point of the nice shiny surround :)

I'm such a procrastinator...

9. CD

CD Member

Eizo's are good :)

I'm thinking of selling my S2110W (21" 1680x1050) in preparation to get a bigger one.

10. dlcx

dlcx Member

S-IPS panels have the best viewing angles.
    S-PVA isn't too bad either, but you do get some colour shifting.. S-IPS is better in this department.

But compared to TFT... less said the better :)

So what's apples warranty like?

I'd probably lean towards the apple screen (as it is S-IPS but I haven't actually used one for photo editing before) but is the warranty that bad?

My dell does have a pretty good warranty too.. 5 years premium panel warranty. Anything wrong, even 1 dead pixel and they ship you a new screen.
    Nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

This site (bookmark it :)) will tell you what panels are in what monitors.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Very handy.

BTW, the Dell 3008 is an S-IPS panel .. *cough* ... just saying :D

12. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

It's one-year. Extendable to 3 for $155.

But, there is no satisfaction guarantee or dead-pixel warranty. You need a big cluster of pixels before they will change it - I had a client who had one with 3 or 4 dotted in the centre third of the screen and Apple wouldnt change it. Once you notice them it was unusable - it was sooo distracting. Bright green spots on anything black. Fucking annoying for web work!.

But I'll be examining mine before I buy it.

I'd go Eizo, but I've got to draw the line somewhere. I dont make my main income from Colour work so it's hard to justify... not to me maybe, more to the wife LOL :D

Al

13. QuakeDude

..is that good?

14. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Quake dude, it's good for colour, not so good for games.. 16ms response will probably be 'ghosty' for high frame rate games I imagine.

15. QuakeDude

Ah, that'll explain it. Photos look like arse on the laptop, which is where I post most of them from. I get to work and they look completely different :Paranoid:

16. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Hmm... ultimately my procrastination comes down to me wanting to be convinced that the Dell's are as good as the Apple displays...

Which they dont seem to be... but then the Dell's looked good enough when I saw them...

Hell's Angel will do the 27" Dell for under $1k... :wired::confused:

17. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Don't be fooled... The Apple displays only have their Aluminium chasis working for them. Over all, the newer dell monitors have significantly improved LCD panels, that blitz the Apple displays (in my opinion).

18. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

This is where I get confused - would love to be able to view the two side-by-side

After reading up it seems the S-IPS panels have the best viewing angles, best contrast and no colour shifts. Whilst the S-PVA has better dynamic range but suffers colour shifting. But to be fair this wasnt very apparent when viewing the Dell's at the Dell kiosk in Knox. But thats no way to view them really.

Fark - I've no idea. I'll leave it a few more days and see what I think :confused::wired::tired:

19. vien

vien Member

The dell lcd monitors are good for colour work, especially the 24" ultrasharp model, not sure about the 27", havent used them.

my money would go to the 24" ultrasharp 2408wfp, less than $700 through hellangel? wide colour gamut, pretty good image quality etc. Best bang for buck i reckon, no chance in hell can you get a decent wide colour gamut lcd under 1k. Eizos are nice but they're too expensive...

most importantly do you have a monitor calibrator? eg. eye one. There's no point getting a flash monitor for colour work if you cant calibrate it.

20. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Well the 2408 is down to $669 on the online store, so thats gotta be close to 600 or under with HA pricing. Which is a full $800 less than the Apple 23".

Given that I work in a bubble - i.e. I dont really print and all my work is online. The wife has a an Apple 23" anyway for colour work, so I think the Dell 24" it is.

The $800 difference buys a lot of camera toys...

Edit: Plus I'd have to spend $48 on a vesa mount kit with the Apple.

Edit Edit:

From HA:
    2408 = $602
    2709 = $809

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008