Opinions on In-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Mad Mike, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

I am currently doing a reno and was thinking about using in-wall speakers to try and keep the tv room "clean" of excess wires running all arounf the walls. Having never used in-wall speakers before I was wondering what the general thoughts on them are? How do they perform vs normal hifi speakers of the reletive price/quality?

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'd use them for surrounds, but not for mains/centre

i must admit i haven't heard a lot of in-wall speakers though, so there may be some good ones out there

but i guess surrounds are the main issue, right?

3. OP
    OP
    Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Well it was actually these Jensen inwall speakers that first caught my attention for fronts. But I was thinking in more general terms of there sound quality.

4. samo

samo Member

In walls can sound pretty good. I have heard Canton and B&W in walls in a stereo and 5.1 arrangement and was fairly impressed.

Depending on how anal you are with sound and how anal the missus is with looks then in walls can be a great compromise.

5. Zee

Zee Member

Plenty of good in-walls that will deliver excellent sound. B&W, Boston, Speakercraft, Sonance... I've installed plenty.

As usual, you'll get the sound you pay for.

Z...

6. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

I'm not a huge fan of in-wall speakers as a rule but I can definitely see their appeal. From a performance point of view, all else being equal (which isn't really the case), in-wall speakers eliminate baffle edge diffraction and bafflestep, resulting in a smoother response with higher sensitivity. In practice, they are generally fairly compromised speakers, even when the price is quite high. Plastic baffles are typically seen with cheap drivers and junk crossovers. The installation itself is usually a compromise also in terms of sound isolation and plasterboard walls make a less than ideal speaker box.

It's possible to do an exceptional in-wall speaker that eliminates the usual compromises and takes advantage of the aesthetic and performance advantages, but it's not normally done that way.

Having said all this, I do actually sell some Dayton in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, via the Loudspeaker Kit.

In-walls are a good project for the DIY enthusiast. They are cheap to do acceptably well and appealing in budget conscious projects, expensive to do very well but ideal as a seriously DIY project.

7. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Thanks for the info Red Spade.

Out of curiosity, are you able to link any good in-wall DIY projects? Interested to see what is involved (cost, parts, time, etc).

8. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

None that are shown online come to mind right now.

To do it seriously, we are talking about building an MDF or ply box that fits into the wall cavity. Ideally it should be isolated as much as possible from the structure. As an example, you run a noggin under with sorbothane between where the box sits on it. Rather than attach the box sides to the studs on either side, you might run expanding polyurethane gap filling foam. You'd run the cable through the top or bottom plate, this part is probably easier than running cable to a speaker wall plate.

Putting together a DIY kit for this kind of thing has been on the cards for some time, but I have too many projects!

One thing to keep in mind is that the speaker crossover should be designed for infinite baffle mounting. You can't take a speaker designed as a stand mount for placement into the room, and then put it in-wall. The bass crossover network would require redesign.

9. OP
    OP
    Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Thanks for some great info Red Spade

10. steffan72

steffan72 Member

or you could just get some cable conduit and run it around the wall. Thats what i did.......its neat and doesn't actually look bad. Can get it from bunnings and its very reasonably priced. Don't think it would work particularly well if you have skirting boards though.