Opinions on my current home network setup?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by the_antipop, Aug 8, 2019.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey all,

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so thought here would be okay. I just thought I would pick your brains a bit and see what you thought of my current network setup at home.

[​IMG]

There are also plenty of Wireless devices running off the Telstra Smart Modem - phones, laptops, printer etc.

Is there anything that I should do to improve connectivity? Are there downsides to the "cheapish" 5 port gigabit switches?

Thanks for any advice

Pugs likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

I see no issues with it. if it's doing everything you want it to, there is no reason to change anything. it's a simple network, no need to overthink it.

Pugs, the_antipop and Nobby6 like this.
  3. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Not enough devices connected to the network to be an issue. Just don't connect another switch to the existing switches :p

4. Copie

Copie Member

Piss off that telstra shithouse 'modem' get some unifi gear.

5. dimension11

dimension11 Member

The main thing is if it's working for you.
    iperf3 is a great tool that lets you test the speed and if everything is mostly getting full speeds then you're good.
    The potential bottleneck would at the Telstra modem point, if you're sending large amounts of data Eg. streaming multiple shows from the NAS to each of the devices on the right.
    Would highly recommend pfSense if you're in the new market for new gear, they make appliances or you can install it on an old PC to test. If you're after a cheaper the Edge Router X by Ubiquiti is a good option

6. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

Amen !

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

Pending what type of NBN you will be getting..

You have a few options...

1: Nothing it isn't that broke...

2: replace the satellite switches with a core switch and have more Cat6* runs..

Would maybe look at getting a couple of WAP's installed relying less on your main modem/ router..