Options for a switch that can handle both component and svideo?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Feb 6, 2019.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Hi guys,

My google-fu has failed me on this one - I'm looking for a simple (i.e. not too big and expensive) device that will allow me to switch b/w component and svideo. Any ideas? I've discovered that having both of these inputs plugged into my retrotink isn't OK - they're apparently electrically connected and thus the output is messed up if I don't unplug one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. power

power Member

what output?

3. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Component out / svideo out - I'm not expected any conversion to be done.

4. power

power Member

so to clarify, you have two devices one svideo and one component and you want to have just one output right? which i would assume is component and you won't want to downgrade the component to svideo.

I can see why this is difficult to find, i don't think i've ever seen something that does this.

what are you plugging all this into? what devices are you outputting from? I know i have svid and component and the two don't meet anywhere.

5. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I don't think I thought this through - this magical device has to have a single output, otherwise I'm in the same position I am currently where I have to have both the component and svideo inputs on the retrotink populated, which doesn't work.

So yes I'd need to have both component and svideo in, and one output, which I'd want to be component. This would mean that the svideo input would have to be converted to component somehow, which from what I understand is not a simple thing.

OK thanks for making me think about it, maybe I just need to get myself some port savers and unplug / plug manually when I want to switch inputs. Or I could get another RetroTink I guess.

6. power

power Member

is there a way to make your svideo component with a different cable? What's the device? a straight component switcher is easy.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The ground return is likely your problem. I'd say that's causing a relative resistance drop, which is causing analogue video levels to boost out of spec.

I don't know of anyone who makes one, but a simple breadboard with your own in/out connectors and hardware on/off switches on the ground lines would get the job done, and save you unplugging and re-plugging all day long.

If that doesn't make sense, I can draw a shitty diagram.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Wouldn't be hard to make one.

The grounds on the retrotink are all common, and the CVBS signal is shared with s-video. However i can't remember if its shared with L or C.

I can work it out when i get home from if you like, or, if its of any help i actually had to repair mine with a jump wire. I posted a picture in another thread here

Regards,

9. nimmers

nimmers Member

You want an extron matrix switch it sounds like.

10. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm certainly not apposed to making / modding but I'm a 'follow the instructions' kinda guy, I have no idea about the design.

greencamel do you think it would be possible to mod the Retrotink to break the relevant connection, and install a switch there?

11. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I sent you a PM with some basic instructions on how you could make a switchbox.

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. Grant

Grant Member

If the outputs are going into a retrotink then you don't need to convert any signals.

Get a mechanical switch like this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AV-Swit...With-Manual-Override-/222079164395?nav=SEARCH

(This one does auto detection of input, and some have IR remotes, but I say mechanical because it physically disconnects the inputs that aren't selected)

Connect both of the outputs from the switch to the retrotink, connect component cables to input 1 on the switch, and an s-video cable to input 2. When input 1 is selected, the s-video output won't be connected to anything, and vice versa.

elvis likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep I definitely don't want to convert anything - I have enough conversion going on already. Thanks heaps to greencamel65 for his detailed instructions for building a switch, and Grant that switch looks to be exactly what I was imagining in an off-the-shelf product. Auto switching is a killer feature.

Thanks again guys I'll let you know which way I go.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup, this is the one you want. I didn't know you could get switches with two outputs, so that'll be enough to break the ground loop.

16. power

power Member

I still want to know what the devices are.

17. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

C64 - Svideo
    PS1 / SMD - component

JSmithDTV and power like this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Fair enough, but the post I quoted referred to a need to convert... just tryin' to help. :)

JSmith

19. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

Soz I should have said, I don't want to convert anything if I can help it.

All comments and suggested have been appreciated.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

I ordered one of these bad boys and it showed up today - it's a beast of a thing and seems to work as advertised; the auto switching is very cool. Sadly there's a bit of a checkered pattern introduced to the svideo output which I can't live with, so I guess I'll see if I can get a replacement unit. It could be a bad svideo cable I guess but seems unlikely, maybe I should try switching that out first.

My little composite-only Sony TV is starting to look pretty good again at this point I gotta say - component via the RetroTink looks stunning but gosh darn it this rats nest of wires and converters is an eyesore and there are too many variables to deal with. The likelihood that I'll get a satisfactory result out of it all is starting to look pretty slim.