1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Optus 5g with high gain antenna, anybody tried?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by millsy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Hey all, I am unfortunately in the position of having a pretty poor FTTN connection (not as bad as others as I can get 50 down, but only 10 up). Around 800m cable run means upgrades to FTTP will be cost prohibitive at this point in time.

I am however around 250m from a optus home 5g area, and ~1.9km from the tower I believe to be transmitting it based on whirlpool lists of optus tower locations and the signal map from optus.

Now Optus won't currently offer me a 5g home connection, no doubt due to a lack of coverage at my location. However, if I was to install a 5g directional antenna on my roof, e.g.
    https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/panorama-2x2-mimo-3g-4g-5g-panel-antenna is there a chance I'd be able to get a good signal? If so has anybody had success with ordering to try? I'm happy to look at topographical maps and calculate potential drop etc.

I'm happy to potentially waste the money but only if there's a good chance it'll deliver results :)

2. Renza

Renza Member

it might work if you have line of sight, but the biggest blocker will be that the modem doesn't have external connectors I think.

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

The Optus modem is actually pretty good, 4x4 directional 11dB with auto-alignment

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

the biggest blocker will be Optus won't give you a 5G service if your address isn't in the coverage area

i have heard people just enter an address a few doors up the road in the coverage area, but then the modem will get delivered there etc. etc.

and i hear that if it drops back to 4G enough, they boot you off the 5G plan

5. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Wonder if you can disable 4G? Hmm.

But yeah that makes sense, I kinda figured the big reluctance was that if they aren't _certain_ you'll get good enough 5G to avoid falling back enough they'll lose a lot of money. I do know someone who is in a 5G area who could order it for me but not sure if they're region blocked.

I actually haven't had much success finding a 5G modem with an external antenna so far.

6. Hive

Hive Member

If you open it up you might find pigtail connectors you can hijack

7. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

No, 4G carrier and core network is still needed for current NSA 5G to piggy back off, thats what makes the antenna system abit tricky, you need to cover the full 1700-3800 MHz range at the least and to compete with the Optus fastmile modem, you'll need 4 antennas with a short coax cable length to minimise signal loss which increase the higher frequency you go
    Not trying to be a wet blanket, and im sure someone eventually will do a mod and get good results

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    millsy likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Hah nah it's fine I'm all for realistic comments.

Seems like this won't be for me then based on the current state of affairs!

9. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Just have to hang in there for another 12 months and you'll be doing what everyone will be doing, ditching the NBNShitco and getting starlink, they just dropped off another 60 satellites and NA and SA will be using it within a couple of months.

10. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Will be interesting to see how long general consumers will be able to get access to it, big paying customers like airlines, cruise ships, telcos will be 1st

Countries like China will have to be geoblocked below a certain altitude

Nethiuz likes this.