1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Optus $90 Unlimited Broadband Bundles + Fetch TV

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by newgen, Feb 24, 2015.

1. newgen

newgen Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have signed up for this recently or are currently subscribed?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/promot...deals?SID=con:hme:25off:bb:afeat:unlbun:learn

I'm currently using iinet ADSL2+ with a landline (solely for internet), spending around the sane amount so this seems like a better deal (except for the 24mth contract but can go month-to-month for $100/month).

There's no mention of speed/bandwidth that i can see apart from the part about "NBN customers: Fast Speed Pack: Optus Fast Speed Pack as per NBN Co. Speed Tier 2 (25Mbps download/5Mbps Upload)." Keen to hear of people's experiences and recommendations.

The Fetch TV inclusion is probably the deal closer, would be good to have those extra channels even though they're basic, it's an improvement over FTA. I'm assuming the quality is just standard definition?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. shmity

shmity Member

Are you going cable or ADSL again?

There's three bundles at the moment, phone+broadband, entertainment and big home bundle. Phone+broadband and the entertainment bundle come with the cable speed pack free (its not explicitly advertised and you have to ask for it) which will give you up to 100mb/s down and 2mb/s up (base is 30/1.5). The big home bundle comes with galaxy tab instead so you have to pay 20 a month for the top tier speed pack

Im on the entertainment bundle because that was the only one of the three available when I signed up. I dont use the fetch tv at all nor the home phone, but its 10 dollars a month cheaper than me just getting the cable connection on its own.

I waver between 70-100mb/s down depending on the time of day (50 if im unlucky) but Im in a suburb with less cable subscribers. They throttle torrents so you will have to anticipate outlay for a service to get around that too if thats your thing.

3. BGH

BGH Member

I've been toying with signing up for the entertainment bundle for a few weeks now. Keep going back and forward but I think I have finally decided not to do it.

I am currently on unlimited ADSL2+ with Jiva and it has been the best internet I've ever had. Rock stable and consistently good speeds no matter what time of day.

The Optus deal is tempting as it is only $10 more than I currently pay and I would get (theoretically) much faster speeds plus Fetch TV. But it is just such a gamble considering the multitudes of people on Whirlpool complaining about poor speeds and congestion on Optus Cable. Would be very frustrating if I signed up and experienced slow speeds and peak time congestion and had to put up with it for another 24 months.

4. kbekus

kbekus Member

Why not go the per month option? Give it a rip and try it....

5. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Thanks for the detailed response shmity. I'm looking at going Cable. I really have no need for the home phone, it's the cable and Fetch TV that interest me (can't get Foxtel, well easily anyways).

Did you guys sign up online, over the phone or in a store? Any advantages to either when it comes to negotiating (e.g. the cable speed pack)?

Appreciate the responses guys. If I do subscribe I'd probably go month to month to see how it goes before locking in. Just gotta check the Ts and Cs.

6. Rod911

Rod911 Member

If you are going cable, this is actually their best deal: https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/bundles/90-superfast-cable

The link is hidden away from their regular promo pages. It's valid until 30 April. I have signed up for this deal and it works great.

I was on the old cable plan using their old modem so the fastest download speed was around 2.5MB/s. Now, with the speed pack (got it free), the minimum has been 5MB/s. Downloading via Steam saturates the line getting me 12.5MB/s.

7. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

8. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Sorry, forgot to include the bit about Fetch TV which is why I placed it here. It's part of the bundle.

Does anyone know how the cabling will be terminated/done? What type of connections and will they just be terminated to say the front of the house and I have to sort out the internal stuff myself? Tv is in the second room from the front of the house.

9. kesawi

kesawi Member

Based on what I've seen on the Whirlpool Thread (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2177603) most people are having difficulty getting the free speed pack and need to push for it. I used the following text under the important information section on the plan page to argue that it was included in the plan.

This appears to only be present on the Unlimited Broadband, Entertainment and Superfast Cable Bundles.

I have this deal as well. It basically gives you unlimited everything (data, voice, calls to mobiles, international to 25 destinations), full Fetch TV and the speed pack. I have no issues in my areas on cable, but it's not the same everywhere.

10. shmity

shmity Member

I had zero problems getting it added on for free. I did my sign up via web chat and asked the assistant and she added it for free. After the install was done I had to call up and get them to activate it. It does seem that it has gotten harder in the last month to get it thrown in though. Some people are still having success. They will def not include it in the big home bundle which is where i think people are having problems.

11. Myst

Myst Member

Very tempted to do this as I just signed on for a new mobile with them, currently paying $105 for internode 50 / 20 NBN 600 gigs, I would be able to get 100 / 40 unlimited with tablet, fetch, home phone for $110 and then $10 off my mobile bill per month.

No horror stories from anyone?

12. shmity

shmity Member

Communication is a problem and they do fuck up so you just have to be on top of it. I had a few issues with my account (it got added to the previous tennants account instead of a new one for me, a short phone call had it sorted out), but for the price I cant complain and theyve been very good at helping me out. Plenty of people posting on whirlpool with different experiences.

13. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Move onto Ultimate plan from the $115, will wait and see, never used Fetch TV, I mainly want to record FTA AFL :p

14. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Going to move onto the Home Bundle. Wifes mobile currently gets us 20% discount but old $90 plan is only 50 or 100GB or something. Hurts when I needed to re download a bunch of games.

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

I've seen this advertised on the tv, they were advertising bundle at $115 and now $90. My question is whether there is a reason why they are dropping the price like this - when Foxtel suddenly dropped their prices it was because there were competitors coming. Is there anything about to happen that would make signing up for this a bad idea, does anyone know?

EDIT: also, last time I looked at this, there was something about having to use some virus thing of theirs? Is that the case, and do they make you use windows, or can you use a linux OS?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

I'd say a big part of it is Foxtel coming out with their $50/month plan.

17. argus

argus Member

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

ah, so they are pushing the fetch, rather than anything to do with broadband going to be cheaper?

19. kesawi

kesawi Member

You have to use their cable modem if you connect via cable, but you can put it in bridge mode and use whatever router you want. You can run any OS on the PC. They did offer an antivirus package for windows several years ago, but that wasn't mandatory. For ADSL you can use any AusTel approved modem.

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I browsed a bit again earlier on, and it seems that that was for an "old-people" telephone bundle. (I don't know why you'd need it for telephone, but it's there....)