Optus Miss Call Service V2 (now with new funky name)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Reva, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Reva

Reva Member

About a month ago, a thread in OCAU made me aware that Optus had activated their ‘Miss Call Service’ on my phone without my consent/knowledge. Now they have an identical service, with new name that's been enabled on my handset without my consent.

Note: I’m currently on a $30 plan with them, there is no contract at the moment.

The thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=320061

Optus’s info page on their Miss Call Service
    http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site...f00VgnVCM1000006801540aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

This feature is probably useless for most people since you don’t need a carrier to tell you that someone made a miss-call on your handset. So I disabled it by calling 159 using the handset.

Yesterday a friend made a miss-call and I received this SMS from Optus:
    “0421xxxxxx called. No Voicemail message was left. For more information on this feature, freecall 147 from your mobile phone”

WTF? I’ve disabled this service a month ago and now its ON again? The 147 number told me this is the ‘Voicemail Call Recall’ service and to deactivate it, I HAVE to call Customer Service… hmm, their Customer Service people are a lonely bunch and don’t get much chance to talk to people it seems :rolleyes:

Optus’s info page on this new feature:
    http://www.optus.net.au/portal/site...f00VgnVCM1000006801540aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

Screenshot
    http://imagestore.ugbox.net/images.php?view=0df8a11dc838695bb2d0443a7ef19d9b

And so I called their Cust Service and deactivated the service. The guy on the other end gave some interesting explanation. I don’t remember what he said word-by-word, but here’s what he said:

Me: Is this ‘Voicemail Call Recall’ the same as the ‘Miss Call Service’, cause I disabled that service a month ago.

Optus: Yes, but the Voicemail Call Recall is tied to your Voicemail service.
    (note: I use their Voicemail service but never requested the Call Recall to be turned on)

Me: Is this new service free?
    Optus: Yes

Me: Does it cost the caller though?
    Optus: Yes

Me: Tell me, is this new service enabled by default?
    Optus: Many people have it turned on, but I can’t tell you how many. Are you not happy with it?
    (note how he avoided the question and gave me an unrelated answer. Realising that even though I rephrase my question very carefully, he’d probably avoid telling me the answer anyways, I didn’t ask further)

Me: No, I’m not happy to have to call to cancel something that I didn’t ask to be enabled.
    Optus: We’ll make a note about your request on your account details here.

So, Optus now have two services which are basically the same, but with different names. You may want to check if yours is turned on by calling 147 and deactivate it. Be sure to ask the Customer Service people if this service is enabled for everyone, by default.

2. [Q²]

[Q²] Member

So is that what it is, I'm getting SMS's from optus about miss calls.

So are you definitly sure that I'm not getting charged for the service and the SMS's?

3. woodstock

woodstock Member

Call me silly but if it's a free service to you and tells you about missed calls while your phone is off what's wrong with it? Sure it charges the caller normal call rates but so does going through to your voicemail like you said you use...

4. Krim

Krim Member

Why do you need an SMS sent to you when your mobile phone tells you if you had a missed call (if its on and has reception that is).

Why would you want the caller to be charged even though they didnt speak to you and if they wanted to leave a VM you would pickup the messasge from there.

To quote the SMS:

“0421xxxxxx called. No Voicemail message was left. For more information on this feature, freecall 147 from your mobile phone”

Its doing nothing more than what your phone can tell you but the caller gets charged for it.

Revenue raising Optus style. :thumbdn:

5. OP
    OP
    Reva

Reva Member

Q2, the Miss Call Service is free for the receiver, but not caller. I can't be 100% sure for the other one since its currently not mentioned on the Optus webpage....

I don't know whether the caller will get charged when they only listen to the answering machine prompt but doesn't deposit a message.

What really bugs me is that Optus enabled these 2 services without consulting the phone owner, these services aren't completely free either.

I've just disabled my voicemail service (fed up). A test call to the mobile while its Off now produces this message:

"that number is not listed, to access your messages ... bla bla bla"
    NICE :rolleyes: If i use another Optus SIM card who doesn't use Voicemail, I got the same message.

6. |bLuEqUt|

|bLuEqUt| Member

Thats proberbly becuase you phone is still diverting to your voice mail number :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. OP
    OP
    Reva

Reva Member

Umm, no.

1. When I call to another phone with Optus SIM card (without voicemail service) that's switched off, the same message is played. So its more likely a default message for people without voicemail?

How many rolleyes icon would you like?

8. |bLuEqUt|

|bLuEqUt| Member

Have you spoken to optus about the problem? Or do you intend to bad mouth the company?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. |bLuEqUt|

|bLuEqUt| Member

For your reference it's not,

Without the service you will get a busy tone if someone is on the phone or you will get the person u are calling is unavaible.

10. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

actually, it is. at work i have to call a LOT of mobiles, and instead of telling me the person is unavailable, it tells me that i can leave a message by pressing 1. looks to be similar to the telstra service which they used to have if you didn't have messagebank activated...

11. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

Miss Call Service

hmm She sounds pretty sexy... :thumbup:

12. pavlos

pavlos Member

yeah I got this crap on my phone yesterday, meh... not like i really give a crap though, im leaving optus in a couple of days

13. OP
    OP
    Reva

Reva Member

I'm not the person with the hidden agenda here, what I said in the earlier posts was what actually happened. Doesn't matter if its Optus or other companies, good/bad service.

I've called them many months back about the other phone, problem couldn't be solved since primary acc holder was overseas and they won't talk to anyone else beside her.

With my phone, it turns out to be a human error on Optus's side.