Optus or telstra cable.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoNk{LAH}, Mar 26, 2014.

1. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

Have accepted that it's only Optus or Telstra cable that i can get at my new property so adsl is out of the question.

Optus: unlimited data at $100/month + $90 installation = $2490 for 24month contract.

Telstra: 200gb at $93/month + ($59 + $72 + $192) for installation = $ 2555 for 24monh contract.

Is it worth paying that little bit more on telstra for a bit better speed/service but less data? 200gb would probably be more than enough for me, but having Unlimited in Optus means I don't have to worry about usage when I stream and download.

Opinions? I know I can get both in my area.

Edit: damnit forgot to add in a poll.

2. power

power Member

afaik Telstra cable is not only faster but doesn't suffer the same congestion issues as Optus (oversubbed in many areas). My vote would be Telstra.

3. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Make a call,

Cable itself is a reliable solid access type for consumer IP services, when it's up its up and syncs at full rate.

When it's down it's down and Optus/Telstra can see that it's down and usually fix it without pissfarting around with ULLs etc.

You can find complaints about congestion in both Telstra/Optus sub forums on Whirlpool, it can really depend on your area. I do think there are more complaints in the Optus thread thou, but that's wingepool

I have had Optus cable for many years and never had a serious problem with it personally, i'm on an old grandfathered as well, 250g/250g peak/off-peak including speedpack $85 a month.

4. FiShy

FiShy Member

It has taken 29 telstra techs to fix my issue and in the end i did most of the work.

So as evil says its the roll of dice on quality.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I just called tonight to organise Telstra cable for the new property I move into in four weeks time and was able to manage a $20/month discount...so that would be $113/month for 500Gig Cable (with speed boost), landline incl. If I pressed the issue I probably could have squeezed out a few more bucks but couldn't be bothered.

Easy to get a discount just by asking.

6. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Go visit whirlpool forum.

I'm on optus cable and international speed at peak times (5-6pm onwards) is shocking.

If I wasn't on an old phone/cable plan (500gb/$85m) I'd be outa here.

7. caspian

caspian Member

I would not be using Optus. as bad as Bigpond's customer service is, at least their network works.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At least with Telstra it is an extremely reliable service which means I rarely have to call tech support and test the customer service.

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Agreed. I've been using BigPond for at least 10 years now & one thing they do, do correctly is keep consistency up & barely have any downtime (Only experienced issues 3 times out of those 10 years). If I have any issues its generally resolved over the phone after 1 call or next business day at the exchange. Their plans do suck & the prices are quite.. pathetic but if you want reliability, go with the Pond (I'm afraid..)

Having a few relatives with Optus they only ever have negative things to say but I can't contribute cause I've never switched to Optus. Just make sure if you do go with Optus that you read the fine print on contracts & ensure it is "unlimited" and not some hidden * in the paper work.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, for internet plans they have a clause which includes “unreasonable” and “unacceptable” uses of this plan.

I've considered Optus cable before, how reliable are they?

11. BoutS

BoutS Member

Having had to use Optus Cable at my inlaws a late last year for a few months, having been a previous Optus Cable user 11 years prior to that (one of the 1st adopters), i can safely say their network has gone to shit, absolutely terrible.

Go with Telstra if you want cable and have the choice.

12. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

It depends on your area. I'm on Optus, have had zero problems in the past decade or so, and consistently get 90+ Mbps. Neighbours with Telstra have had connection issues and slow speeds. Conversely friends in neighbouring suburbs have no luck with Optus, and find Telstra to be much better.
    If possible, ask around your street and see what the neighbours are using.

13. Alper

Alper Member

both as bad as each other, i mean come on, we are dealing with aussie telcos :lol:

As others have said, Telstra having the more uncongested cable networks out of the two makes it the winner for me.

But this really depends on your area. My street and possibly other streets nearby only have cable, no adsl nothing, so we have major congestion issues. Sus out what is happening for internet in your neighbourhood and go from there.

i'd personally just go telstra to be safe as ive heard better things about there cable service.

goodluck

14. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

It is more a roll of the dice.

My Telstra cable is not rock solid and I am in a congested area - Alderley QLD doesn't even have a phone exchange so everyone would either be on Optus or Telstra cable, and my guess is nearly everybody chooses Telstra cable.

Signal levels remain fine but it gets lossy and laggy in the afternoon, and the netgear modem is utter shit.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than 4-6Mbps ADSL2+ would be at this distance but it's not without it's problems.

YMMV.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In terms of the connection stability and uptime I really can't fault it (Telstra that is). Had a couple of frustrating times over a couple of day but if you take that with as long as I've been with them (over two locations) it's really been very good.

16. stitch512

stitch512 Member

Do not go with optus. I wish I never did. In the brief two months I have been with them it has been one thing after another. 100mbit connection is useless if you can not even get the optus community page to load. Xbox live and PSN is currently unusable for me as we speak. And any international site will not load.

17. clinic

clinic Member

Wow, looks like my experience is the minority. I have optus cable and, well, its brilliant. Awesome speed, rarely goes down and when it does its normalluy either a short period or a telegraph pole.

Customer sevice is craptastic on the few times I've had to deal with them in the last 5 years or so, but it works so good, I don't care that much.

18. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Afaik optus cable is shit.

Im on telstra ultimate 100mbit cable. I get 13mbps (120mbit) download.
    Apart from a miscommunication at the start of my connection (they gave me 30mbit connection) which they fixed then gave me $10 off for the life of the plan. I have zero issues with telstra cable.

19. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

sorry wait what? 13mb? or you mean 13MB?

edit: ahh i see 120mbit :)

yeah i get downloads on optus that are about 100mb, off steam most of the time I will download everything at 8-11MB/s

but agree, it is Terrible i have constant drop outs and packet loss. When i move this year, I am paying the extra for Telstra.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. FiShy

FiShy Member

From a pure speed point of view both networks use the same technology and can both hit the same speed on the wire.