Optus or telstra cable.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoNk{LAH}, Mar 26, 2014.

1. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I have zero dropouts. 100% happy with their services.

2. caspian

caspian Member

the issue is not the cabling in the street. it's the overbooking rates on the backhaul to the node.

3. flain

flain Member

I'm on optus cable and their transparent web proxy annoys me from time to time. There are a number of sites where you get their proxy error page (it's a nginx forbidden page). I've had to purchase a premium VPN service so i can route those sites via the VPN and bypass the proxy, because even after reporting optus support are not fixing these 5-6 months on now.

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Telstra spent hundreds of millions upgrading their cable network to support 100Mbps.

Optus spend about $30 in comparison.

Guess who installed sufficient backhaul for 100Mbps?

5. Recharge

Recharge Member

I question if optus has ever fixed anything not mission critical.
    I'm SO glad I got to move and was forced across to heslstra as no optus cable in the street, it's SO much better all round. I've had far less issues since. I hope the owner doesn't sell this house any time soon!

6. caspian

caspian Member

ooh, ohh! /waves hand in air frantically

7. stitch512

stitch512 Member

My experience has been much better the last week. I started getting heaps of problems after I received my new netgear CG3000v2 modem/router. Pings were all over the place, constant wireless lan drop outs, speeds alls over the place.

A week ago I put that modem into bridged mode and bought a new router and everything has been brilliant. Not a single issue and can manage to max out the download speeds (mainly just on steam and origin) more often than not. Pings have now been great so I can finally game online.

If anybody has a CG3000 modem/router. Bridge it and use a different router.

8. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

I've had both, and despite issues with connection and initial setup, both are about the same in terms of customer service and initial setup, but in terms of connection speed & congestion, optus are horrible in comparison.. The premium with Telstra is easily worth it :thumbup:

Wish I could swap back to Telstra, damn contracts.

9. caspian

caspian Member

you've just articulated one of the main reasons contracts exist. they're the industry's response to easy churning and consumerism.

"lock 'em in" is the mantra.

from a quick look, the pricing difference between Telstra and Optus is about $3/month for all but the top end plan, where Optus offer unlimited data vs Telstra's 500GB.

honestly, my main concern with dealing with Telstra would be the pain of braving their helpdesk if required. apart from that I can't see many reasons to go with them unless you are a conscientious objector, and in that case I question whether Optus is an improvement.

10. zeeps

zeeps Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Is Telstra still > Optus?

11. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Optus cable is still heavily congested, depending on where you live.

And they'll not install ADSL if there's a cable past your house.

12. zeeps

zeeps Member

Yeah I dreaded that much. Looks like I'll have to go with telstra.

13. Recharge

Recharge Member

telstra cable shits all over optus, no contest what so ever.

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

Telstra is the same, before i moved (and ended up on a new cmts) the node is was on what shit house.

15. zeeps

zeeps Member

I wish there was some transparency. So that one could see the node contention stats before joining optus or telstra.

16. FiShy

FiShy Member

Search your suburb in whingepool

17. power

power Member

holy shit this thread is still going, I answered the question in 4 minutes 8 months ago and the OP never even came back to tell us what he decided.

18. zeeps

zeeps Member

I searched my suburb. No hits. West Pennant Hills. 2125. I guess no news is good news?

19. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

It's not even just about the congestion. Past that, Optus have terrible O/S routing.. I can download locally (steam, Origin, anything AU) at 13MB/s no problems...

how ever, streaming stuff or downloading of certain sites terrible. I have a backup ADSL connection through iinet, which only connects at 8Mbps and streaming of this is better than my 100Mbps connection. 1+1 = who knows with optus.

20. Recharge

Recharge Member

HA! then they might be held accountable for their bullshit charging equal fees for very non equal locals.

and they sink way too much money into the governments pockets for the government to ever actually protect us from dodgey shit.
    the ACCC and fair trading at basically fucking useless.