Optus or telstra cable.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoNk{LAH}, Mar 26, 2014.

1. clonex

clonex Member

Yeah i was hoping the new phones to be out by then but will waiting till april i think to upgrade/renew

2. FiShy

FiShy Member

I would be suprised if it was linked to a plan type.

3. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Looks like Optus are unleashing these plans with 2 year contracts to lock people in for income whilst HFC transitions to NBN Co. Unlimited Cable for consumers will need amssive bandwidth, and we all know Optus won't be upgrading their backhual links. So It's win win for them.

That said, I'll still be signing up as I'm a sucker. Since they have no Fetch TV boxes for a few months, theres a $20pm credit until it arrives in stock, gotta love that.

Any that's had it installed recently, how long was the turn around time from first contact to Optus, to installation date?

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus.

As for usage spikes, I'm sure there are those out there that will use all they can, simply because they can. But I would be *very* interested to see actual evidence on the impact of a change like this.

We are not in a situation where the vast majority of users are hitting their limit and screaming for more.

I don't have access to the old pricing plans for Optus, but based on my Memory I'm going to say that for your average mum and dad on the internets $90 / month with unlimited calling and FetchTV is about the equivalent of the old mid range tier. What I'm getting at is that most users could probably switch to this plan and pay about the same as they did before and get "more".

Now is the risk of increase usage more due to a psychological shift of those mid range users who are now encouraged to increase their *average usage* from say 25GB to 125GB rather than the few high usage people who move from 499GB to 1TB of data?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Meh, if a contract works for you and the price/quota is good I wouldn't worry about locking in.

6. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Finally got new bundle sorted.
    I know bundle prices are not always the same as their individual components but ended up with the 500gig plan with speed boost for $100 p/m.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Is that just the net or anything else thrown in?

8. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Just cable. Don't use the land line at all so while we kept a phone for the bundle, it'll never get used.

9. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I signed up this morning over the phone, had to get supervisors approval for the $90 superfast plan (the one from a few months ago, with unlimited phone calls and fetch tv) as the current bundles don't offer unlimited mobile calls anymore.

Should be up and running in 2 weeks. Then have to navigate the minefield that is porting the phone number FROM TPG. :Paranoid:

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Did you go on a two year contract?

11. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

No contract.

We weren't eligible for the current "new user" bundles so was happy to get this deal. Ex-employees get a further 10% off that price as part of the Alumni program. Not as good as employee discount but better than nothing.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Really? :wired: Never heard of that one before....even browsing whirlpool I've never come across that before.

13. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Not sure if you mean the Alumni discount or the Bigpond deal.

The cable deal shows up as a Telstra T-Bundle Connector FreeStyler on my account. The Alumni discount is kinda newish. Been around maybe 12 or 18 months? now and ex-employees need to register at the Telstra Alumni website in order to qualify for the discounts.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, meant the Alumni discount. First I've heard of that. Nice to have.

15. gbh

gbh Member

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!