1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Os on small or big ssd

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Madengineer, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Hey peeps!

just wanted to see people’s opinions on whether it’s worth putting an os on a 1tb or whether I should leave it on the 250gb?

2. power

power Member

3. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

4. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I just cloned it all over.

Really seamless!

5. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

intel optane FTW

2SHY and NSanity like this.
  6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My 512GB 960 Pro is still doing the job pretty well. I have all librarys redirected to spinning drives though, so the OS drive is pretty bare. I personally don't see the need for 1TB, although there is a small speed advantage from the larger drive. I'd go with a 512GB Pro over a 1TB Evo though, any day of the week, for better sustained read and writes. Sustained is the key property for me, the reason I'm not interested in QVO drives.

7. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah I needed max space for games. (Like, CoD alone is 140Gb, WoW another 100. It doesn't leave a lot of space. And I usually like to swap between games on a whim, so can't just go 'i'll install this now and play in 4 hours when it's ready'. Cause by then I'll be done.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So you run the 250GB purely as an OS drive and buy a 2TB QVO for games..

9. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

1tb*

And essentially. Like, that was the plan, but now I'm just using the 1tb for everything.

And honestly, it was like $150 posted. I think I paid that for my 250gb :D

I guess it's the old addage, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

In total, I did have like 400gb of SSD storage (H ad a 250 and a 128). And it just wasn't enough. a 500 wouldn't be enough. I'd have like, 4 games installed?

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

OK, just realised you have already bought the 1TB. Have you got rid of the 250GB? Use it for the OS, and make the 1TB your game library. Maybe use the 128GB as a scratch drive?

11. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah I was thinking about that. I cloned the OS tonight, but feel a fresh install will be better so might go back to the 250 for the OS and 1tb the games.

Ratzz likes this.
  12. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I love how people are chasing after the small gains you get from going from smaller to larger SSD, when years and years ago i was having trouble trying to get people to use SSDs. Before SSDs i was using WD Raptors and then got one of the early generation SSDs $400 for a 128gb SSD using the idelix controller before it even supported TRIM. The gains from spindle to SSD are massive, the gains from a smaller to larger SSD are less noticeable.

13. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Bigger
    1TB would be fine.
    Games are getting so big so if you want the speed , run them off C drive and then you will need lots of space.
    You could use 2 x 500Gb and put them in RAID 0 :)

14. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Are you editing video because that's about the only reason for needing both high sustained reads and writes? In just about all cases OS SSD's are mostly reads where the speeds don't change much and heavy writes that exhaust the SLC buffers causing the write speeds to drop are very rare so in theory even QVO's should suffice for just about everybody. The only time I've ever noticed an issue was copying a game over to my OS drive which is a 250 GB EVO 840 and the first 30 GB went over at the speed the hard drive could deliver it at about 120 MB's whereas the last 30 GB was only going at about 70 MB's and since this is a rare occurrence I couldn't say it was an unacceptable situation as far as overall SSD performance goes.

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

For me it's OS on small SSD, games on big one.
    That way, when the OS goes kaput, you nuke and reinstall and all your games are still there waiting to be fired up. Steam especially barely notices the new OS.
    Having worked in the frontlines of the industry, I detested it when some client would say "yeah, just spend hours finding and backing up the fifty different locations on C I stored important crap, then nuke and reinstall".
    Never put anything important on C:\

16. OP
    OP
    Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah I should’ve done that, but I didn’t. Haha

it’s alright. I usually do a cleanse every 6 months anyway.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I frequently copy entire drives, 2TB or more. That's why I would personally prefer something with sustained write speed. That said, Its not so frequent that I would be willing to pay a large premium for it. Its just a 'nice to have' feature rather than something I'd pay a huge amount for. The point is particularly moot unless you have several of them, as of course transfer speeds will be limited to whatever the slowest drives are capable of.

I've long maintained in various threads that storage drives should be just standard SATA rather than large NVME drives for this reason. I personally don't see a lot of difference between SATA and NVME for daily use, and in fact if I could see any real benefit in selling my 512GB 960 Pro and buying a higher capacity QVO drive I would probably do so - but I wouldn't get enough secondhand for my 960 Pro to make it worth the bother.

Sata/NVME SSD's as an OS instead of spinners is a no brainer, the improved seek time is the best thing you can do to revive an older rig. After that, extra speed is really not that important IMHO, but I am not much of a gamer and I totally understand why people would choose a faster game drive. It comes down to use case in the end. Unless I had a specific use for something faster, I think personally I would just buy the cheapest 2.5" SSD that I can in whatever size I needed for storage. Faster transfers would certainly be nice, but I'm not sure I am willing to pay the price when it comes down to actually unlocking my wallet.

For me, I have a 512GB Samsung 960 Pro as my OS drive, a 256GB Intel 760P that I actually use as a flash drive, in an adapter and connected via USB 3.1 Gen2, and 4x 3TB 2.5" spinners. This combination serves me well.

When prices drop a little further, which they inevitably will, I will probably replace my spinners with high capacity QVO's. I'm actually considering that option at the moment, for at least one of my storage drives, as it is starting to throw the occasional error. That will be the trigger, along with prices getting sufficiently low, for me to convert to fully mechless one drive at a time.

I think the major takeaway here from my admittedly scattered thoughts is that I would use a relatively small fast drive for my OS.. 250~500GB, and devote the larger drive to games if I were a gamer. I always try to keep my OS drive devoted entirely to OS and my favourite utilities, to avoid filling it too much and make reinstallation totally painless, and use other drives for anything else. This is purely to allow me to do a full reinstall regularly to keep things snappy, without affecting my data at all.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  18. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

The real men here are wondering over how many drives you split your pagefile.....

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

and how hard you short stroke them :p