1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

OSX El Capitan

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ronald_r32, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

Interesting name choice :confused:

2. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

With absolutely nothing of interest inside it.

Sigh, what a waste of a conference.

3. damo13579

damo13579 Member

FTFY

had a quick skim of a few news articles, only thing i can see that looks interesting is Metal, i wonder how much of a difference it will actually make.

4. OP
    OP
    ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

Keynote is one small part of the conference

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Things I care about:

* File systems - HFS+ is horrendously broken and causes errors at modern sizes. What's next?
    * NFS - broken since 10.5. When will it be fixed?
    * OSX gets the pants beaten off it constantly by Linux on the same hardware. When will performance jump?
    * Driver support for modern video cards is way behind mainline releases. When can we update drivers straight from the hardware vendor?

Instead, the El Capitan website shows me more highlights about the design aesthetic and how much it's like iOS. Please, Apple, stop treating us like complete morons. OSX isn't terrible, but you're stopping it from being great by treating everyone like a low-end marketing moron.

6. Diode

Diode Member

This exactly what has happened at Apple... spoken by the holy Apple prophet himself.

7. JamesR

JamesR Member

Since we had Yosemite, I'm guessing El Capitan is named after the large rock formation in Yosemite Nat Park.

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Only one machine in my house was upgraded to Yosemite, sadly my main machine, and it still has ongoing niggles with WiFi and Bluetooth. I'll likely upgrade this one on the assumption it can't get worse :S

The other machines... well, they are just fine on Mavericks.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Yes, it's an extremely popular climb (I've done it myself), and very beautiful, with an incredible view.

Z...

10. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

10.10.4 should fix that with the new Bonjour daemon that's really the old one.

11. zachnedwich

zachnedwich (Banned or Deleted)

My MBP retina needs wifi turned off and on again every 15 minutes or so when it times out, not the router, I hope they fix this

12. Renza

Renza Member

But not unprecedented

Leopard (10.5) -> Snow Leopard (10.6)
    Lion (10.7) -> Mountain Lion (10.8)

Reflects that it's more an incremental upgrade.

13. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

We will see, sleep + bluetooth has always been patchy despite claims of "fixes" in each point release. I literally just got home and had to restart, twice. Delete the bluetooth mouse pairing then reset the SMC (and reboot a 3rd time) to get my mouse working (HP 4000b).

I never had any issues under Mavericks (although maybe I just look back and remember the good times :p).

I've tried a couple of different bluetooth mice, they all work flawlessly with my Surface Pro 3, but my Mac with Yosemite is very hit and miss. Everything works just fine for a while then for no apparent reason it falls apart (usually around a sleep). Plenty of people are reporting the same issues even when using the Apple mouse or trackpad (not that I like the Apple offerings).

Finding a decent bluetooth mouse has always been a challenge. I was just looking up a link to post to one of the alternatives I was looking at and found this:
    http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/mx-master

Finally darkfield & bluetooth! And on a mouse that doesn't look like it sucks! Will have to look into that a little further :D

14. Jesta

Jesta Member

Wifi issues should be resolved, Apple is switched back to mDNSresponder from discoveryd (which looked like it was shipped before it was ready).

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Sometimes I open the Mac and it's just connected. Other times it seems to take forever to find a connection (home wifi to Apple time capsule). And other other times it times out and doesn't connect. Once it's on though it works perfexrly

16. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Hahaha wow. :weirdo:

17. elvis

Mavericks is full of bugs. Yosemite fixes many of them, but introduces more (as mentioned, the big one is mdiscoveryd, which will be reverted back to mDNSResonder in the next update).

Mavericks in particular is terrible with SMB and file-locking, particularly in a multi-user environment. If you're actually trying to do real work on a Mac (like, actual collaboration on real data in a real office teamwork environment, not just poking about at Facebook or slapping together a spreadsheet on your desktop), it's completely buggered.

Apple teased us for ages with talks of ZFS. If they did that, and fixed the NFS client and file cache, they'd have themselves one hell of a selling point in the high end professional space.

18. Diode

Diode Member

Thanks for some heads up. I know I've had some users say they can't overwrite files they just created so they are having to create new files of the same content. I can't recall if that person was using Mavricks or Yosimite.

19. scottath

scottath Member

We have this problem almost every second day, a fleet of macbook airs (often accessing the share over wireless isnt helping either) - and cannot update as yet to Yosemite due to some software compatibility issues. Such fun.....
    Cannot wait for that to be fixed....heres hoping.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  20. elvis

We did the same for a while (giant GlusterFS cluster, Linux and Windows boxes hitting it fine). Macs - nope, all sorts of dramas. We tried having a box mounting it all off to the side and re-exporting it all via netatalk. That worked up until about 20 users. After that, it all turned to shit and netatalk couldn't keep up (plus, as a protocol, it's about 20% slower than SMB, which in turn is 20% slower than NFS).

So again, we come full circle to "if Apple could fix NFS, it'd all be great". For all the network filesystem protocols that have come since 1995 when NFS3 was released, not a single one of them has managed to beat humble old NFS for speed or reliability.

iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg